By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - [Update: Switch Won] Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 102 67.11%

PS5 44 28.95%

Series X/S 6 3.95%

Total:152

Switch > PS5 + XBS

Around the Network
Somini said:
PS5 would but it won't have enough stock. So Switch this holiday.

Both Switch and PS5 won't have enough stock, and Switch would win anyway.

Shiken said:
KingJames said:

The Switch will be an 8th gen console that will extend into the 9th gen. Who knows how long they will extend the Switch family into said gen. A "Switch Pro" would be the 9th gen version of the Switch, are you seriously not understanding that concept? Ps4 and XB1 lifecycle ends at 7 years, just like PS3 and less than X360. Yes, Nintendo started over. Wii U got DISCONTINUED 4 years and 2 months after launch. Switch is around 7 months away from passing its lifecycle. Nearly every site and source online cites the Switch as an 8th gen console. End of discussion. 

You do realize that a typical home console cycle for Nintendo has been about 5 years with only the Wii lasting 6, right?

So the notion that the WiiU ending 1 year earlier than their average making Switch an 8th gen restart is hilariously flawed to say the least.  Even when presented with a scenario where the timing means nothing, you are still in denial.  But you are free to believe what you want, that doesn't make it correct however.

Switch is 9th gen. Heir of 3DS and Wiiu. 

I don’t like grouping fundamentally unrelated consoles together in the same generation.

No one is saying the iPhone 12 is the 43rd generation of cell phone (or whatever).

Anyway, every single time these console generations are brought up there’s always confusion. I think it’s much less confusing to just talk about consoles based on exactly what they are rather than this hypothetical situation that doesn’t have a basis in reality.

It might be that Sony and Microsoft synchronize to an extent, but the reality is this is Nintendo’s 7th generation, The PlayStation 5 fifth generation of Playstation, and Xbox Two/X is the fourth generation of Xbox.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Without even bothering with the generation talk

There's no scenario where PS5 or Xbox Series X/S beats out the switch for holiday sales.

Around the Network

It was so simple. Nintendo always fucks things up. Damn sorry ass Wii U. Everyone else makes hardware that gets good support for 10+ years. Meanwhile Nintendo muddies the waters with this 4-6 year bullshit. Sony and Microsoft should jump right into "Gen 10" instead of catering to Nintendo and their Gen 7 level home console/Gen 9 portable.

Why has no one bothered to put numbers?

How much do y'all think Switch vs the others?

And genuine question as I have no idea what normal holiday sales/shipments are for console launches  or for systems like the Wii/DS/PS2 etc

Otter said:

Why has no one bothered to put numbers?

How much do y'all think Switch vs the others?

And genuine question as I have no idea what normal holiday sales/shipments are for console launches  or for systems like the Wii/DS/PS2 etc

I mentioned Switch average holiday numbers earlier it averages 10m in the quarter and this is a year where it's even higher in demand, 10m alone is demand that very much is unassailable for any launching platform as you won't have that much stock it's hard enough to have even half of that for a launch.

It'll be very close to a tie between Switch and PS5. I say the PS5 will sell 6 million and the Switch will sell a few hundred thousand less than that.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I voted PS5 only because Switch is an 8th gen system, not 9th. Overall Switch will easily surpass the other two though.