By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - [Update: Switch Won] Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 102 67.11%

PS5 44 28.95%

Series X/S 6 3.95%

Total:152
Shiken said:
KingJames said:
Why am I seeing confusion over what console generation the Switch falls under? It may have been a move we have never seen before but Nintendo had to start over and re enter a generation half way through. This gen has been the longest. Switch will be 3yrs 8mth old when the PS/XSX come out. Switch can run 1080p/60fps at best - Its an 8th gen console.

You are seeing confusion over what gen Switch is, because you yourself typed in the notion that Switch is gen 8 out of confusion.

I mean hell, most of your reasoning would point to the Wii being a gen 6 console.  The Gamecube fell short in sales, and the Wii couldn't even do 720p.  Do you see how ridiculous trying to judge generations on power alone looks?

I didn't just define it by power. Switch launch is 3yrs 8months apart from PS5/XSX launch. The Wii U was a failure that Nintendo literally discontinued entirely 2 months before the Switch launched. They completely started over. 8th gen is historic for 2 things - mid gen major upgrades to consoles, as well as a competitor releasing a 2nd console in the same generation to replace the first console due to failure. People actually trying to say the 9th gen started with the Switch in 2017? Or XB1 S/PS4 Pro in 2016? Its just funny to me. 

Around the Network
KingJames said:
Shiken said:

You are seeing confusion over what gen Switch is, because you yourself typed in the notion that Switch is gen 8 out of confusion.

I mean hell, most of your reasoning would point to the Wii being a gen 6 console.  The Gamecube fell short in sales, and the Wii couldn't even do 720p.  Do you see how ridiculous trying to judge generations on power alone looks?

I didn't just define it by power. Switch launch is 3yrs 8months apart from PS5/XSX launch. The Wii U was a failure that Nintendo literally discontinued entirely 2 months before the Switch launched. They completely started over. 8th gen is historic for 2 things - mid gen major upgrades to consoles, as well as a competitor releasing a 2nd console in the same generation to replace the first console due to failure. People actually trying to say the 9th gen started with the Switch in 2017? Or XB1 S/PS4 Pro in 2016? Its just funny to me. 

What I find funny is that Switch will most likely be up against the PS5 and XSX for more than half its life regardless, and yet some people are still in denial about it being gen 9.  Especially if the Switch gets a mid gen refresh of its own, your entire argument goes up in flames.

Again, Nintendo did not "start over" in gen 8.  MS and Sony just waited longer to move on due to their mid gen refreshes.  The WiiU being a failure has nothing to do with that.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
KingJames said:

What I find funny is that Switch will most likely be up against the PS5 and XSX for more than half its life regardless, and yet some people are still in denial about it being gen 9.  Especially if the Switch gets a mid gen refresh of its own, your entire argument goes up in flames.

Again, Nintendo did not "start over" in gen 8.  MS and Sony just waited longer to move on due to their mid gen refreshes.  The WiiU being a failure has nothing to do with that.

The Switch will be an 8th gen console that will extend into the 9th gen. Who knows how long they will extend the Switch family into said gen. A "Switch Pro" would be the 9th gen version of the Switch, are you seriously not understanding that concept? Ps4 and XB1 lifecycle ends at 7 years, just like PS3 and less than X360. Yes, Nintendo started over. Wii U got DISCONTINUED 4 years and 2 months after launch. Switch is around 7 months away from passing its lifecycle. Nearly every site and source online cites the Switch as an 8th gen console. End of discussion. 

The Switch. No console launch sells that much.

I remember this question also being asked back when PS4 and XBoxOne were releasing; putting them up against 3DS. 3DS won.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 03 October 2020

When I saw the title, I was sure that the debate about 8/9 gen would start again. It is an endless debate since people doesn't want to differentiate "calendar gen" and "technical gen".

I believe the Switch will sell the most for this Q3 but I have voted PS5. I don't know why.

Around the Network
KingJames said:
Shiken said:

Megadrive/Genesis was over 2 years old when SNES came out under your logic it's a gen 3 platform like the NES, staggered releases of gens are not new so yes Gen 9 did start in 2017 as that's when a gen 9 platform released.

9th gen? PS5.

KingJames said:
Shiken said:

The Switch will be an 8th gen console that will extend into the 9th gen. Who knows how long they will extend the Switch family into said gen. A "Switch Pro" would be the 9th gen version of the Switch, are you seriously not understanding that concept? Ps4 and XB1 lifecycle ends at 7 years, just like PS3 and less than X360. Yes, Nintendo started over. Wii U got DISCONTINUED 4 years and 2 months after launch. Switch is around 7 months away from passing its lifecycle. Nearly every site and source online cites the Switch as an 8th gen console. End of discussion. 

You do realize that a typical home console cycle for Nintendo has been about 5 years with only the Wii lasting 6, right?

So the notion that the WiiU ending 1 year earlier than their average making Switch an 8th gen restart is hilariously flawed to say the least.  Even when presented with a scenario where the timing means nothing, you are still in denial.  But you are free to believe what you want, that doesn't make it correct however.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

KingJames said:
Shiken said:

What you're forgetting is that Switch is not only replacing the Wii U; it is also replacing the 3DS which, if I'm not mistaken, is supposed to be the 8th gen handheld.

Switch is gen 9, because you can't use Wii U discs on it. It's so easy. Don't argue with power, because Wii was next gen although it was technically a Gamecube in a new case. Don't argue with lifetime or success of Wii U, because Dreamcast was next gen and replaced the unsuccessful Sega Saturn after 4 years. Dreamcast also launched between PS1 and PS2, but it is counted as gen 6 (PS2), because it is a successor of a previous system. Just like Switch. Nothing else to say.

OP: PS5 will win November, Switch will win December. It really depends on stock of systems, which will sell more. I guess Switch should sell most this holiday.