By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - [Update: Switch Won] Switch, PS5 and Series X/S - What 9th gen console will sell most this Holiday?

Which 9th gen system will sell the most this Holiday?

Switch 102 67.11%

PS5 44 28.95%

Series X/S 6 3.95%

Total:152

@Bandorr just stop pussyfooting around it, its obvious the Switch isn't a gen 9 console

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Switch's holiday sales have averaged around 9-10m that in itself raises the question if both XSX and PS5 combined will be able to compare let alone just one platform.

Since when does a launch console stand a chance against a successful console close to it's peak? The Switch will sell the most, without question.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Bandorr said:
Wyrdness said:

What are you on about? What multiplatform games a platform plays doesn't determine if a platform is in a gen or not.

What does then? The Switch is considered Gen 9 because The WIi U was a massive bust.

If they had back to back bust would the Switch have been Gen 10 then?

Why is the X1X not considered a new generation? The PS4 pro was barely an update but consider the original X1 and the X1X - huge difference.

What causes a generation change?

The X1X is an X1.  It plays the same games and adds nothing but more power, but with the same CPU bottleneck.

The Switch is not the same as a WiiU.  Aside from more power it functions completely different, can literally be played anywhere, has its own library, and is the successor to Nintendo's 8th gen console rather than being a mid gen refresh like the X1 and PS4 had.  That makes it 9th gen bub.  Nintendo moved forward into 9th gen in their own way, while Sony and MS decided to drag gen 8 out with refreshes.

OT Switch will dominate for two reasons.  Number is that there won't be enough stock for the new consoles to even touch Switch sales.  And number 2 is that Switch sales are not slowing anytime soon, and next year looks packed with exclusive games so really holiday 2021 will be much more interesting IMO.

Last edited by Shiken - on 02 October 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Switch, easily. I think PS5 will be harder to get for sure, but Switch is in its 4th holiday season and has a tonne of momentum and a whole lot more stock. Switch definitely.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Why am I seeing confusion over what console generation the Switch falls under? It may have been a move we have never seen before but Nintendo had to start over and re enter a generation half way through. This gen has been the longest. Switch will be 3yrs 8mth old when the PS/XSX come out. Switch can run 1080p/60fps at best - Its an 8th gen console.

KingJames said:
Why am I seeing confusion over what console generation the Switch falls under? It may have been a move we have never seen before but Nintendo had to start over and re enter a generation half way through. This gen has been the longest. Switch will be 3yrs 8mth old when the PS/XSX come out. Switch can run 1080p/60fps at best - Its an 8th gen console.

Then... What's the WiiU? 7.5?

If power defined consoles, the larger gulf between x1 and X1X determine a new generation? No it doesn't.

New hardware, new games, new method of functionality and if you've been noting the trend here, new generation. 

If Nintendo slaps an Animal Crossing or Mario Kart bundle or both. It will outsell PS5 and XSXS. Tho Switch is not the 8th or 9th generation. It's in its own classification.

Last edited by Leynos - on 02 October 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Almost definitely it will be Switch, assuming that they're available. Supplies are likely to be tight for both XBSX and PS5, so it doesn't even matter if more people want to buy them. They just won't be able to sell units that don't exist.

KingJames said:

You are seeing confusion over what gen Switch is, because you yourself typed in the notion that Switch is gen 8 out of confusion.

I mean hell, most of your reasoning would point to the Wii being a gen 6 console.  The Gamecube fell short in sales, and the Wii couldn't even do 720p.  Do you see how ridiculous trying to judge generations on power alone looks?

Last edited by Shiken - on 02 October 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261