By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Has Put Themselves Back In The Game!

Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:

The people who think Bethesda future heavy hitters will come to PS5 know who they are. I ain’t gonna name drop. But you know they out there. 

Hey I hear ya, right now Xbox install base isn’t enough to provide the sales that Elder Scrolls or Fallout is used to. But that’s now, the idea is to have rapid growth. New gen new start and what not.

If these games end up selling millions less BUT millions still come over to Xbox or buy it on Steam or get console/PC Game Pass then it’s a long term win. 

How is it a long term win if millions less buy the games, MS doesn't grow their console userbase by huge amounts, (causing them to miss out on 3rd party royalties), millions of copies sold have to pay a 3rd party royalty cut to Steam, and millions more users just underpay by playing the games via gamepass?

I mean, Gamepass is $9.99 a month. If somebody plays 10 games a year, then MS is losing money. That's $600 for 10 games vs $120 a year from gamepass revenue. MS could sell those 10 games at $20 a pop, and still make way more money than Gamepass.

I'd kill to see a PnL sheet from Microsoft's gaming division, that was separated from the rest of their business.

Ultimately if the game makes a profit, it matters little if they missed out on extra profit so long as millions joined Game Pass. For Steam, the way I see it these are people that have no desire to buy a Xbox so giving 30% is better then getting nothing at all. PC isn’t in competition with Xbox unlike PS. 

Otherwise I’m not gonna speculate their revenue model for GP. I just know the bigger it gets the more lucrative it gets. Whatever helps to bring them to 50 million subs, which would bring in insane revenue per month. And you can’t do that if PS5 gamers know they can “wait it out” to get their version. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Today I learned that you pay over seven billion dollars and acquire a ton of studios and pay 2,000+ new employees to make LESS games than you did before. Makes total sense, not goopified at all.

Literally nobody said that, stop trying to twist the narrative. 

Uh, the Kratos guy literally said it like two posts above mine. That MS bought Bethesda, so now they have an excuse to continue to make less exclusives than the other companies, like they did this gen. 

So again, they’re going to go out and buy like twelve+ studios and spend over seven billion... so that they can release less games. Makes sense. 

PotentHerbs said:
Goatseye said:
Xbox division is the house of FPSs, RPGs, Racing games, RTS, etc...
The output on some of those genres are/will be gold standard.
I’m glad that they didn’t focus to excel in one genre or style of game.

If God of War and Uncharted 4 are considered one style of game than wouldn't the same apply to Halo: Infinite and the next Fallout/ Elder Scrolls? 

What's the difference if we're ignoring core mechanics/gameplay loop? 

Halo is a competitive arena shooter FPS; you progress through the game by shooting mf on their face. It’s also, different than Call of Duty, don’t get them mixed.

Fallout is a RPG, with some shooting mechanics, which are not essential, in first and third person view. And you can problem solve tasks in game without having to fire a round.

Elder Scrolls are not shooter games, they’re fantasy  Action WRPG, where you problem solve in myriad of ways, with no option to shoot. 

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Okay, anyone genuinely trying to say that "Sony focuses on 3rd person single-player action-adventure" as a negative is NOT a voice deserving to be heard. "Action-Adventure" is the most wide definition of ALL the genres in gaming by a wide, WIDE margin, third person is a perspective, not a gameplay style, and while 'singleplayer' means it's very story-focused, that's really not restrictive at all. Third-person Single-player action-adventure games encompass something like 75% of all mainstream games. That is the opposite of 'racing' or 'shooter' as niches. 

Ratchet & Clank is NOTHING like The Last of Us.

Bloodborne is NOTHING like inFamous or Spider-Man.

The only thing linking Ghost of Tsushima with Horizon: Zero Dawn is the open world.

Halo is closer to Gears of War than any of Sony's 'third-person action-adventure single-player' games are to each other. Gritty, Futuristic sci fi shooters with grizzled men as their protagonist fighting aliens is a very specific genre. Really, the only thing that separates them is their first vs third person perspective and story details. Hell, the two closest in Sony's lineup are Uncharted and The Last of us because they're both by the same developer and both are sci-fi and remarkably high quality. One's an adventure in he vein of Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones and the other more a stealth horror, they're just considered so alike because the writing and presentation quality are both among the best in the genre. 

The mental gymnastics on this post. Jesus. 

You took it too literally. I gave a general guideline for Sony’s top exclusives. They technically all fall within it. That doesn’t mean you can’t craft different experiences from it. 

By comparison let’s look at 2020 Xbox: Ori (metroidvania), Gears Tactics (turn based strategy), Minecraft Dungeons (dungeon crawler), Bleeding Edge (multiplayer brawler), Battletoads (beat em up), Tell Me Why (interactive story), Grounded (coop survival), Flight SIM (Simulator), Wasteland 3 (turn based RPG), Age of Empires 3 DE (RTS). Now with Bethesda Xbox has FPS and WRPG on lock. THIS is genre diversity. 

Sorry no mental gymnastics here. By comparison PS top exclusives are more then similar when put next to each other. I’m not wrong in saying Sony could do with a little more 1st party multiplayer and genres in general. Like PS3, now that had genre diversity in their exclusives! 

To bring it all home that’s why Xbox has an edge next gen imo. They do vastly different genres which appeal to more diverse gamer groups. Better multiplayer, like on a whole other level. Games like Sea of Thieves being more popular with age only bode well for say Halo Infinte MP, which if done right will be played long after 2021 exclusives from the competition are beaten and never played again. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 30 September 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

There is nothing wrong with the games Sony releases. There is a reason why they perform tremendously well and are critically acclaimed.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
PotentHerbs said:

If God of War and Uncharted 4 are considered one style of game than wouldn't the same apply to Halo: Infinite and the next Fallout/ Elder Scrolls? 

Halo is a competitive arena shooter FPS; you progress through the game by shooting mf on their face. It’s also, different than Call of Duty, don’t get them mixed.

Fallout is a RPG, with some shooting mechanics, which are not essential, in first and third person view. And you can problem solve tasks in game without having to fire a round.

Elder Scrolls are not shooter games, they’re fantasy  Action WRPG, where you problem solve in myriad of ways, with no option to shoot. 

And then Fable 4 is a Fantasy Adventure RPG, Forza is a Racing game, Gears is a 3rd person shooter, Sea of Thieves is a MMO, Ori is a platformer, Hellblade 2 is 3rd person action, Grounded is something completely unique.

Yep, as you can see...XBox lacks variety in the direction they are going.

/s

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

smroadkill15 said:
There is nothing wrong with the games Sony releases. There is a reason why they perform tremendously well and are critically acclaimed.

I should clarify I’m not criticizing the games themselves. It’s like Sony did a ton of trial and error and distilled the exact roadmap that resonates with their fans the most. 

Games like Killzone and Resistance didn’t come close to Uncharted or LOU. Multiplayer exclusives like MAG, Modnation Racers, PlayStation All Stars to name a few didn’t get the long term playerbase as hoped. This is why Guerilla makes Horizon instead of Killzone. It’s what the fans want. 3rd person single player action/games. Multiplayer is too risky and can lead to nowhere so they clearly doubled down on SP games with PS4 nobody can deny this. 

So again, to anyone reading, I am not denying the quality and acclaim of these top PS4 games. It is a product of years of seeing what works and what sells the best. I’m just saying if you want different genres or multiplayer their 1st party probably won’t give what you want. Fans of the other genres are niche by comparison but you get my point I hope. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 30 September 2020

Goatseye said:
PotentHerbs said:

You grouped most Sony games in one style/genre without breaking down the differences in their core mechanics, which was my point of contention with your post, and others like it. Because with that logic you can group together most of Microsoft games as first person shooters since they have the same perspective. 

If Elder Scrolls and Halo are different from one another, because of their gameplay loops, why is this ignored for a WRPG like Horizon, a TPS like Uncharted, or an action/adventure title like God of War?

PotentHerbs said:

You grouped most Sony games in one style/genre without breaking down the differences in their core mechanics, which was my point of contention with your post, and others like it. Because with that logic you can group together most of Microsoft games as first person shooters since they have the same perspective. 

If Elder Scrolls and Halo are different from one another, because of their gameplay loops, why is this ignored for a WRPG like Horizon, a TPS like Uncharted, or an action/adventure title like God of War?

I didn’t group Sony games together, even though I think they’re not that varied based on genres and style of gameplay.

I’d choose different games to compare. Comparing an Arena FPS to a Dungeons and Dragons inspired RPG is a sacrilege.

I wouldn’t call Horizon: ZD an RPG. It has elements of an RPG but it is at its core, an Action Adventure; with a set character and no build variety, set story with no meaningful choices that impacts it, etc... comparing it to let’s say Wasteland or Fallout: New Vegas, you can clearly see the difference. 

Uncharted does involve a lot of shooting but it’s not a TPS like Gears is. It’s actually a sh*tty shooter and a better cinematic adventure game. The gameplay is serviceable for the campaign but not great for multiplayer.

You got God of War right, a hack and slash action adventure game.

Goatseye said:
“ Halo is closer to Gears of War than any of Sony's 'third-person action-adventure single-player' games are to each other. ”
🤣 Is this for real?
Is that because you can aim through a sniper rifle in Gears of War in first person view? Lol

Are you honestly trying to argue that player perspective matters more in a game's look, feel, and style than...you know, the gameplay, the style, the look, the feel, and the sounds? The only real thing separating the two games in terms of genre and feel is the FPS vs TPS perspective shift and the individual story beats. They're both about human/earth space militaries fighting aliens with gameplay that pretty much exclusively consists of shooting the bad guys. They're both sci-fi shooters, they share more in common with one another than The Last of Us and Ratchet & Clank do with each other. 

I can't tell if you're being serious or purposely dense here. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android