By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Has Put Themselves Back In The Game!

drinkandswim said:

I dont think Microsoft will lock up Bethesda IP’s to the Xbox Ecosystem. It just doesnt fit the path they are currently on, but if they do that would give them a console bump. But when they are releasing top titles on Switch and PS4 already it just doesnt seem like their path. If they do it would def bump up my console sale projections for Microsoft.

Microsoft is way beyond the way you think. Samsung is pushing GamePass hard on their hardware, to get gamers with disposable income to adopt their ecosystem. They’ll implement GamePass on all their smart TVs going forward as well. Samsung is the phone brand with more marketshare in Asia. 
Also, Xcloud is a thing, that will make having a library of games easier than ever, without the need of a stationary hardware, that costs upwards of $500. 
With a bit of success, Zenimax games won’t need to be anywhere to make more money, also Microsoft doesn’t need immediate return from their last investment. They want growth!!!! That’s what some of you don’t understand.

Around the Network

Xbox division is the house of FPSs, RPGs, Racing games, RTS, etc...
The output on some of those genres are/will be gold standard.
I’m glad that they didn’t focus to excel in one genre or style of game.

I mean I agree with you so not sure what you mean. As stated they are moving away from dedicated consoles and it is going to make their gaming division more successful. Some people are stuck in their vision of gaming in the past, and think console sales dictate success, and they just dont any more. Maybe they do for Nintendo and Sony because they are locking up their IP’s. Microsoft’s model will probably enable them to surpass both companies in terms of profits.

Cerebralbore101 said:

How is it a long term win if millions less buy the games, MS doesn't grow their console userbase by huge amounts, (causing them to miss out on 3rd party royalties), millions of copies sold have to pay a 3rd party royalty cut to Steam, and millions more users just underpay by playing the games via gamepass?

I mean, Gamepass is $9.99 a month. If somebody plays 10 games a year, then MS is losing money. That's $600 for 10 games vs $120 a year from gamepass revenue. MS could sell those 10 games at $20 a pop, and still make way more money than Gamepass.

I'd kill to see a PnL sheet from Microsoft's gaming division, that was separated from the rest of their business.

People will still always buy games because they don't want to pay a sub which is fine. They will still get sales from Steam, and get more revenue this way than if they only released on the windows store. Game sales for MCC, Flight Sim, Grounded, etc. show this. Right now, Xbox is making all the right moves to increase brand awareness and increase the userbase than where the xbox one is at. 

Right now, 15 million people sub to gamepass. Some play 10 games a year, some play 15 games, or some play only 2-3. Sub numbers will continue to grow and likely hit 30-45 million subs in the next several years. This is a consistent stream of revenue so it really doesn't matter how many games someone plays. 

They definitely have a better outlook from 2022 and beyond.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Xbox division is the house of FPSs, RPGs, Racing games, RTS, etc...
The output on some of those genres are/will be gold standard.
I’m glad that they didn’t focus to excel in one genre or style of game.

If God of War and Uncharted 4 are considered one style of game than wouldn't the same apply to Halo: Infinite and the next Fallout/ Elder Scrolls? 

What's the difference if we're ignoring core mechanics/gameplay loop? 

sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

Quality over quantity? 
Why not both? Aside from Bleeding Edge all 1st party games this year got good scores. 2 of them 90+

Production over diversification? 
Why not both? It’s common knowledge Xbox covers more genres. Look at their lineup this year. Compared to Sony which specializes in “3rd person single player action adventure”. 

Historical precedent vs untested companies? 
True, this is one aspect Sony has in their favour. They are consistent and the burden of proof is on Xbox. 

I mean, we know Insomniac and Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are capable of pure gold. Do we know if 'the initiative' is? 

Okay, anyone genuinely trying to say that "Sony focuses on 3rd person single-player action-adventure" as a negative is NOT a voice deserving to be heard. "Action-Adventure" is the most wide definition of ALL the genres in gaming by a wide, WIDE margin, third person is a perspective, not a gameplay style, and while 'singleplayer' means it's very story-focused, that's really not restrictive at all. Third-person Single-player action-adventure games encompass something like 75% of all mainstream games. That is the opposite of 'racing' or 'shooter' as niches. 

Ratchet & Clank is NOTHING like The Last of Us.

Bloodborne is NOTHING like inFamous or Spider-Man.

The only thing linking Ghost of Tsushima with Horizon: Zero Dawn is the open world.

Halo is closer to Gears of War than any of Sony's 'third-person action-adventure single-player' games are to each other. Gritty, Futuristic sci fi shooters with grizzled men as their protagonist fighting aliens is a very specific genre. Really, the only thing that separates them is their first vs third person perspective and story details. Hell, the two closest in Sony's lineup are Uncharted and The Last of us because they're both by the same developer and both are sci-fi and remarkably high quality. One's an adventure in he vein of Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones and the other more a stealth horror, they're just considered so alike because the writing and presentation quality are both among the best in the genre. 

The mental gymnastics on this post. Jesus. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

Okay, anyone genuinely trying to say that "Sony focuses on 3rd person single-player action-adventure" as a negative is NOT a voice deserving to be heard. "Action-Adventure" is the most wide definition of ALL the genres in gaming by a wide, WIDE margin, third person is a perspective, not a gameplay style, and while 'singleplayer' means it's very story-focused, that's really not restrictive at all. Third-person Single-player action-adventure games encompass something like 75% of all mainstream games. That is the opposite of 'racing' or 'shooter' as niches. 

Ratchet & Clank is NOTHING like The Last of Us.

Bloodborne is NOTHING like inFamous or Spider-Man.

The only thing linking Ghost of Tsushima with Horizon: Zero Dawn is the open world.

Halo is closer to Gears of War than any of Sony's 'third-person action-adventure single-player' games are to each other. Gritty, Futuristic sci fi shooters with grizzled men as their protagonist fighting aliens is a very specific genre. Really, the only thing that separates them is their first vs third person perspective and story details. Hell, the two closest in Sony's lineup are Uncharted and The Last of us because they're both by the same developer and both are sci-fi and remarkably high quality. One's an adventure in he vein of Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones and the other more a stealth horror, they're just considered so alike because the writing and presentation quality are both among the best in the genre. 

The mental gymnastics on this post. Jesus. 

Yeah, I never got this logic, it just seems like a way to downplay. 

Why can't we group Red Dead Redemption 2, BoTW, Mario: Odyssey, Assassins Creed, Monster Hunter World, Uncharted, Watch Dogs, Batman: Arkham City, Witcher 3, RE2 Remake, Sekiro, etc as third person action adventure, since they all share the same camera angle? I guess its because some of them have online, some of them take place in a city, while others take place in a village lol? 

“ Halo is closer to Gears of War than any of Sony's 'third-person action-adventure single-player' games are to each other. ”
🤣 Is this for real?
Is that because you can aim through a sniper rifle in Gears of War in first person view? Lol

Goatseye said:
“ Halo is closer to Gears of War than any of Sony's 'third-person action-adventure single-player' games are to each other. ”
🤣 Is this for real?
Is that because you can aim through a sniper rifle in Gears of War in first person view? Lol

I think the best part is that the claim was made in the same post where they denigrated people for doing the same thing when it comes to Sony IPs. Apparently logic is a one-way street.