By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Has Put Themselves Back In The Game!

KratosLives said:
They bought zenimax, which means you're getting exclusives that were already expected to come as multiplats. Now microsoft has an excuse to keep making less exclusives compared to sony and nintendo, which was a major concern this gen. Now let's see what they make that is great besides the usual gears, halo and forza games.

Let's use logic for a second. The whole point of acquiring studios is increase production of 1st party games, not make less exclusives. Sony has 13 1st party studios that actually make games. Xbox now has 23 studios, plus Xbox game publishing which releases games like flight sim, Ori, etc. I'm going to go out on a limb and say 1st party production won't be a concern for Xbox next gen.  

Around the Network

Today I learned that you pay over seven billion dollars and acquire a ton of studios and pay 2,000+ new employees to make LESS games than you did before. Makes total sense, not goopified at all.

Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

I don’t see how having 23 teams to Sony’s 14 is an excuse to make less games then before. Their studios are a quick google search away. The idea is to make more to keep GP growing and users staying subbed. 

Quality over quantity? 

Production over diversification? 

Historical precedent vs untested companies? 

I mean, we know Insomniac and Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are capable of pure gold. Do we know if 'the initiative' is? 

What does any of this have to do with the idea that MS will somehow make LESS games than before when they’ve basically tripled their studio count since the start of this gen lol

LudicrousSpeed said:
Today I learned that you pay over seven billion dollars and acquire a ton of studios and pay 2,000+ new employees to make LESS games than you did before. Makes total sense, not goopified at all.

Literally nobody said that, stop trying to twist the narrative. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Not really sure whats biased about it. I think Microsoft is going to perform better than ever with lower console sales. Their model doesn’t require selling consoles to succeed.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sales2099 said:

I don’t see how having 23 teams to Sony’s 14 is an excuse to make less games then before. Their studios are a quick google search away. The idea is to make more to keep GP growing and users staying subbed. 

Quality over quantity? 
Why not both? Aside from Bleeding Edge all 1st party games this year got good scores. 2 of them 90+

Production over diversification? 
Why not both? It’s common knowledge Xbox covers more genres. Look at their lineup this year. Compared to Sony which specializes in “3rd person single player action adventure”. 

Historical precedent vs untested companies? 
True, this is one aspect Sony has in their favour. They are consistent and the burden of proof is on Xbox. 

I mean, we know Insomniac and Sucker Punch and Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are capable of pure gold. Do we know if 'the initiative' is? 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

My predictions have been pretty good. I predicted Wii U would fail near launch and it was the first Nintendo System I didnt buy. I bought Switch day one and predicted its success. Not sure what the bitterness is about Microsoft’s model doesnt require selling consoles to be successful. There is nothing wrong with that. But expecting them to sell more console systems when they are clearly making their IP’s accessible to people that dont need the console reduces the market for console sales. Its simple mathematics. If Microsoft wanted to sell more consoles they shouldnt put anything on PC and should make every game in Zenimax portfolio exclusive to Xbox Consoles. Then yeah i would predict console sales to increase. You act like PC owners don’t buy playstations. These are some of the most hardcore gamers, and everyone knows exclusivity is what sells consoles.

Cerebralbore101 said:
sales2099 said:

Well all the Bethesda exclusive deniers are essentially asking for a PS5 port. If they had a PC capable they wouldn’t care. Otherwise MS was frequently bragging about their games this summer dominating the steam charts, even older games like Sea of Thieves and Halo MCC. Steam has a high userbase for upfront purchases in addition to their console base. 

Hey there was a time where 360 exclusives vastly outsold Ps3 exclusives. It wasn’t even close. Point being marketshare dictates sales legs. Xbox One lost and thus their game sales legs were shorter. New gen, fresh start, Series S/X can maybe get that higher base back and thus more legs once again. 

Who are these exclusive deniers, asking for a PS5 port again?

Their bragging was in the form of the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy. I would imagine that they don't announce lifetime total sales, because those sales totals are low. Instead they brag about how their game "dominated the steam charts" for a couple months. You can dominate some sales charts for a relatively short time and still have less lifetime total sales than your competition.

Does anybody know the actual sales totals of various PC games? I think a lot of people are just vastly overestimating how large the PC market's share of individual games sales is. Sure, in total it's absolutely massive, when you add up all the sales of every PC game ever. But on a game by game basis? How many copies has Fallout 4 sold on PC vs PS4, or Xbox? How many copies of the PC version of Fallout 4 were sold at a massive discount, 2-3 years after launch?

I admit, I'm shit at sales data ever since vgchartz stopped tracking game sales. But I have a hunch that the revenue from all PS4 sales of Fallout 4 vastly outnumbers the revenue from all sales of Fallout 4 on PC + Xbox. But again, that's just a hunch. I'm waiting for somebody to come in and prove my hunch right or wrong.

The people who think Bethesda future heavy hitters will come to PS5 know who they are. I ain’t gonna name drop. But you know they out there. 

Hey I hear ya, right now Xbox install base isn’t enough to provide the sales that Elder Scrolls or Fallout is used to. But that’s now, the idea is to have rapid growth. New gen new start and what not.

If these games end up selling millions less BUT millions still come over to Xbox or buy it on Steam or get console/PC Game Pass then it’s a long term win. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I dont think Microsoft will lock up Bethesda IP’s to the Xbox Ecosystem. It just doesnt fit the path they are currently on, but if they do that would give them a console bump. But when they are releasing top titles on Switch and PS4 already it just doesnt seem like their path. If they do it would def bump up my console sale projections for Microsoft.

sales2099 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Who are these exclusive deniers, asking for a PS5 port again?

Their bragging was in the form of the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy. I would imagine that they don't announce lifetime total sales, because those sales totals are low. Instead they brag about how their game "dominated the steam charts" for a couple months. You can dominate some sales charts for a relatively short time and still have less lifetime total sales than your competition.

Does anybody know the actual sales totals of various PC games? I think a lot of people are just vastly overestimating how large the PC market's share of individual games sales is. Sure, in total it's absolutely massive, when you add up all the sales of every PC game ever. But on a game by game basis? How many copies has Fallout 4 sold on PC vs PS4, or Xbox? How many copies of the PC version of Fallout 4 were sold at a massive discount, 2-3 years after launch?

I admit, I'm shit at sales data ever since vgchartz stopped tracking game sales. But I have a hunch that the revenue from all PS4 sales of Fallout 4 vastly outnumbers the revenue from all sales of Fallout 4 on PC + Xbox. But again, that's just a hunch. I'm waiting for somebody to come in and prove my hunch right or wrong.

The people who think Bethesda future heavy hitters will come to PS5 know who they are. I ain’t gonna name drop. But you know they out there. 

Hey I hear ya, right now Xbox install base isn’t enough to provide the sales that Elder Scrolls or Fallout is used to. But that’s now, the idea is to have rapid growth. New gen new start and what not.

If these games end up selling millions less BUT millions still come over to Xbox or buy it on Steam or get console/PC Game Pass then it’s a long term win. 

How is it a long term win if millions less buy the games, MS doesn't grow their console userbase by huge amounts, (causing them to miss out on 3rd party royalties), millions of copies sold have to pay a 3rd party royalty cut to Steam, and millions more users just underpay by playing the games via gamepass?

I mean, Gamepass is $9.99 a month. If somebody plays 10 games a year, then MS is losing money. That's $600 for 10 games vs $120 a year from gamepass revenue. MS could sell those 10 games at $20 a pop, and still make way more money than Gamepass.

I'd kill to see a PnL sheet from Microsoft's gaming division, that was separated from the rest of their business.