The Next Generation 34 50.75%

Deep Space Nine 8 11.94%

Voyager 11 16.42%

Enterprise 3 4.48%

Discovery 2 2.99%

Picard 1 1.49%

Total:67
JRPGfan said:

WHY are Star Trek Enterprise (prequel with Scott Bakula) and Star Trek Voyager not winning these polls?

Imo their the best star trek series.
However I do think Star Trek - The next generation was also pretty decent (loved Patrick Stewart as capt Jean-Luc Picard), and its currently winning so thats fine too.

Enterprise > Voyager > Next Generation.

Enterprise got cancelled too soon, the first season turned many off from the series. Maybe it was too early, many including me, discovered the series later. Perhaps it's not too late to continue Enterprise? I also had the problem associating Scott Bakula too much with Quantum leap. After that had faded, Enterprise was much better. Same reason I can't watch Castle since Nathan Fillion is Firefly for me. Too distracting.

For Voyager and Next Generation it comes down to the ship for me. Enterprise-D > USS Voyager. TNG feels like a luxury cruise liner, a place I would want to be and even if the episode itself was kinda meh, the comforting hum of the engine and bright comfy ship layout was enough to keep me watching. Voyager is darker, more military like, less inviting.

ST: Picard, no ship, no thanks.
STD: Worst ship in the series but that's the least of its problems.

Around the Network

Guess I'll just have to buy Picard on DVD from a reseller, since it doesn't seem to stream anywhere available here in Australia. I'm still rewatching Enterprise at the moment though, so it can wait.

I know it's not a popular opinion but I enjoy Discovery for what it is.

It's nowhere near the same league as DS9, Next Gen, or Voyager, but it can be some decent dumb fun. Anyone else just watch the first episode of Season 3? 

shikamaru317 said:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/amp/sci-fi/star_trek/star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-season-4-with-production-slated-to-begin-on-november-2-a179357

If Discovery gets a 5th season, 1 more than Enterprise got, I might just jump off a bridge. Seriously, how is this show getting enough viewers to keep it alive? Almost every TOS and TNG era Star Trek fan I know, and most TOS and TNG era fans I've seen online, hate Discovery with a burning passion as instance as the sun. So how is it getting enough viewers to justify the budget? Fans of the JJ reboots keeping it alive?

I'm just glad that we TNG era fans have The Orville. It may have started as a parody of TNG era Trek, but it evolved into a proper show in it's own right, because the writers and directors understand what TNG era Star Trek fans in a show, many of them having previously wrote on TNG era Trek shows. They just need to bring Alara back as a main character in season 3, I like her way more than Talla.

It might be one of those things where the hardcore old school fans hate a new take on something but it resonates more with the general viewer base, like the JJ films or the recent Godzilla reboots by both Hollywood and Japan.

BTW, I would say DS9 fans can safely be included in those who dislike most of the new series.
DS9 did approach Trek lore respectfully, even if TOS/TNG/Voyager fans don't like how it broke the familiar patterns.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

It might be one of those things where the hardcore old school fans hate a new take on something but it resonates more with the general viewer base, like the JJ films or the recent Godzilla reboots by both Hollywood and Japan.

Sounds reasonable, but if the only people who like it aren't engaged with original IP, why does it need to be attached to that IP?

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 18 October 2020

mutantsushi said:
curl-6 said:

Sounds reasonable, but at that point why does it need to be attached to the original IP, if only people who like it aren't engaged with original IP?

Well, I doubt it was their intention, they probably planned to try to bring in new audiences while still retaining the brand's established base. It just seems they weren't quite able to balance those two objectives as well as they maybe would've liked to.

curl-6 said:
mutantsushi said:

Sounds reasonable, but at that point why does it need to be attached to the original IP, if only people who like it aren't engaged with original IP?

Well, I doubt it was their intention, they probably planned to try to bring in new audiences while still retaining the brand's established base. It just seems they weren't quite able to balance those two objectives as well as they maybe would've liked to.

I think they just went the easy and cheap route by writing a very generic "dark and gory Sci-Fi story line".  Normally I don't go SJW, but Tilly and that white haired guy are most sexist and homophobic representation of characters I've seen in a movie.  It makes the original series look enlightened.  That's before the general "I wouldn't hire these people to work in a Macdonald's" feel the crew give off.

If it didn't have the Star Trek logo on, it wouldn't get a second season.

OneTime said:
curl-6 said:

I think they just went the easy and cheap route by writing a very generic "dark and gory Sci-Fi story line".  Normally I don't go SJW, but Tilly and that white haired guy are most sexist and homophobic representation of characters I've seen in a movie.  It makes the original series look enlightened.  That's before the general "I wouldn't hire these people to work in a Macdonald's" feel the crew give off.

They definitely did try to chase the Game of Thrones trend by making making it dark and adding gore and sex. I am curious though about Hugh seeming homophobic? I mean I definitely think they could've written him to be more likeable but I never got the sense that it was an offensive representation.

curl-6 said:
OneTime said:

They definitely did try to chase the Game of Thrones trend by making making it dark and adding gore and sex. I am curious though about Hugh seeming homophobic? I mean I definitely think they could've written him to be more likeable but I never got the sense that it was an offensive representation.

Probably just my reaction to it, but it felt like they treated him like a 1950s stereotype. They could have had him be a normal member of the crew and just go home to another normal member of the crew who happened to be the same sex.  You know - like real life?