The Next Generation 24 50.00%

Deep Space Nine 7 14.58%

Voyager 9 18.75%

Enterprise 3 6.25%

Discovery 1 2.08%

Picard 1 2.08%

Total:48
curl-6 said:

It might be one of those things where the hardcore old school fans hate a new take on something but it resonates more with the general viewer base, like the JJ films or the recent Godzilla reboots by both Hollywood and Japan.

Sounds reasonable, but if the only people who like it aren't engaged with original IP, why does it need to be attached to that IP?

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 18 October 2020

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
curl-6 said:

It might be one of those things where the hardcore old school fans hate a new take on something but it resonates more with the general viewer base, like the JJ films or the recent Godzilla reboots by both Hollywood and Japan.

Sounds reasonable, but at that point why does it need to be attached to the original IP, if only people who like it aren't engaged with original IP?

Well, I doubt it was their intention, they probably planned to try to bring in new audiences while still retaining the brand's established base. It just seems they weren't quite able to balance those two objectives as well as they maybe would've liked to.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I knew something was off with Discovery as soon as I read that CBS asked Bryan Fuller, one of the Voyager writers, to step down as showrunner on Discovery. That was a giant red flag for me. Then I saw the first trailer, with it's ugly ship, redesigned Klingons, timeline inconsistent ship interiors and uniforms, and it's more than 1 in 3 dislikes, and I knew that CBS didn't give a crap about classic Trekkies at all, they only cared about appealing to a new audience. Worst thing is, they still refuse to give classic Trek fans a proper show, Picard could have been that but I hear it has many of the same problems as Discovery, just with better characters.

I'll say it again, I'm so thankful that Seth MacFarlane cares about classic Trek fans and is giving them a good show with The Orville. It might not have the budget or audience of Discovery or Picard, but it’s about 100x better.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 18 October 2020

curl-6 said:
mutantsushi said:

Sounds reasonable, but at that point why does it need to be attached to the original IP, if only people who like it aren't engaged with original IP?

Well, I doubt it was their intention, they probably planned to try to bring in new audiences while still retaining the brand's established base. It just seems they weren't quite able to balance those two objectives as well as they maybe would've liked to.

I think they just went the easy and cheap route by writing a very generic "dark and gory Sci-Fi story line".  Normally I don't go SJW, but Tilly and that white haired guy are most sexist and homophobic representation of characters I've seen in a movie.  It makes the original series look enlightened.  That's before the general "I wouldn't hire these people to work in a Macdonald's" feel the crew give off.

If it didn't have the Star Trek logo on, it wouldn't get a second season.

OneTime said:
curl-6 said:

I think they just went the easy and cheap route by writing a very generic "dark and gory Sci-Fi story line".  Normally I don't go SJW, but Tilly and that white haired guy are most sexist and homophobic representation of characters I've seen in a movie.  It makes the original series look enlightened.  That's before the general "I wouldn't hire these people to work in a Macdonald's" feel the crew give off.

They definitely did try to chase the Game of Thrones trend by making making it dark and adding gore and sex. I am curious though about Hugh seeming homophobic? I mean I definitely think they could've written him to be more likeable but I never got the sense that it was an offensive representation.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
OneTime said:

They definitely did try to chase the Game of Thrones trend by making making it dark and adding gore and sex. I am curious though about Hugh seeming homophobic? I mean I definitely think they could've written him to be more likeable but I never got the sense that it was an offensive representation.

Probably just my reaction to it, but it felt like they treated him like a 1950s stereotype. They could have had him be a normal member of the crew and just go home to another normal member of the crew who happened to be the same sex.  You know - like real life?

JRPGfan said:

WHY are Star Trek Enterprise (prequel with Scott Bakula) and Star Trek Voyager not winning these polls?

Imo their the best star trek series.
However I do think Star Trek - The next generation was also pretty decent (loved Patrick Stewart as capt Jean-Luc Picard), and its currently winning so thats fine too.

Enterprise > Voyager > Next Generation.

I think that given enough time, Voyager has a decent shot of eventually replacing DS9 as most people's second-favourite Star Trek series (TNG will probably always be #1), considering that audience tastes seem to be gradually moving away from the kind of grimdark sci-fi that DS9 and Babylon 5 acted as the forerunners for.

Enterprise, however, is probably always going to struggle a bit more in the popularity stakes, considering how its premature cancellation meant its good-to-bad episode ratio is more like 50/50 than the 70/30 or so the previous four shows had, the stigma of its effectively killing the 1987-2005 run of Star Trek, and it ending with a legendarily awful finale years before that was the "in" thing for major franchises to do.

OneTime said:
curl-6 said:

Probably just my reaction to it, but it felt like they treated him like a 1950s stereotype. They could have had him be a normal member of the crew and just go home to another normal member of the crew who happened to be the same sex.  You know - like real life?

He didn't seem that stereotypical to me, just a bit of an arrogant dick. 

As for Tilly, maybe this is projection by me, but from her sensitivity to smells to seemingly irrationally wanting things to be a specific way, to the way she talked and socialized I was sure she was written/directed/acted as an Autistic but apparently they've said she's not, which leaves me wondering what they were trying to go for with her character, just the quirky/awkward friend I guess. 

curl-6 said:

I know it's not a popular opinion but I enjoy Discovery for what it is.

It's nowhere near the same league as DS9, Next Gen, or Voyager, but it can be some decent dumb fun. Anyone else just watch the first episode of Season 3? 

Is it back on? I don't even know where I could watch it nowadays. I cancelled sci-fi channel since the only reasons for keeping it were put behind different streaming walls. I guess Discovery is on CBS all access, no access for me. No loss anyway. I wonder where the Orville went, that was still entertaining. Oh that jumped to Hulu, don't have that either. Whatever. Netflix (still) has the good star treks, I'm sticking with that.

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

I know it's not a popular opinion but I enjoy Discovery for what it is.

It's nowhere near the same league as DS9, Next Gen, or Voyager, but it can be some decent dumb fun. Anyone else just watch the first episode of Season 3? 

Is it back on? I don't even know where I could watch it nowadays. I cancelled sci-fi channel since the only reasons for keeping it were put behind different streaming walls. I guess Discovery is on CBS all access, no access for me. No loss anyway. I wonder where the Orville went, that was still entertaining. Oh that jumped to Hulu, don't have that either. Whatever. Netflix (still) has the good star treks, I'm sticking with that.

It's on Netflix, at least it is for me here in Australia.