The Next Generation 34 50.75%

Deep Space Nine 8 11.94%

Voyager 11 16.42%

Enterprise 3 4.48%

Discovery 2 2.99%

Picard 1 1.49%

Total:67
JRPGfan said:

WHY are Star Trek Enterprise (prequel with Scott Bakula) and Star Trek Voyager not winning these polls?

Imo their the best star trek series.
However I do think Star Trek - The next generation was also pretty decent (loved Patrick Stewart as capt Jean-Luc Picard), and its currently winning so thats fine too.

Enterprise > Voyager > Next Generation.

I think that given enough time, Voyager has a decent shot of eventually replacing DS9 as most people's second-favourite Star Trek series (TNG will probably always be #1), considering that audience tastes seem to be gradually moving away from the kind of grimdark sci-fi that DS9 and Babylon 5 acted as the forerunners for.

Enterprise, however, is probably always going to struggle a bit more in the popularity stakes, considering how its premature cancellation meant its good-to-bad episode ratio is more like 50/50 than the 70/30 or so the previous four shows had, the stigma of its effectively killing the 1987-2005 run of Star Trek, and it ending with a legendarily awful finale years before that was the "in" thing for major franchises to do.

Around the Network
OneTime said:
curl-6 said:

They definitely did try to chase the Game of Thrones trend by making making it dark and adding gore and sex. I am curious though about Hugh seeming homophobic? I mean I definitely think they could've written him to be more likeable but I never got the sense that it was an offensive representation.

Probably just my reaction to it, but it felt like they treated him like a 1950s stereotype. They could have had him be a normal member of the crew and just go home to another normal member of the crew who happened to be the same sex.  You know - like real life?

He didn't seem that stereotypical to me, just a bit of an arrogant dick. 

As for Tilly, maybe this is projection by me, but from her sensitivity to smells to seemingly irrationally wanting things to be a specific way, to the way she talked and socialized I was sure she was written/directed/acted as an Autistic but apparently they've said she's not, which leaves me wondering what they were trying to go for with her character, just the quirky/awkward friend I guess. 

curl-6 said:

I know it's not a popular opinion but I enjoy Discovery for what it is.

It's nowhere near the same league as DS9, Next Gen, or Voyager, but it can be some decent dumb fun. Anyone else just watch the first episode of Season 3? 

Is it back on? I don't even know where I could watch it nowadays. I cancelled sci-fi channel since the only reasons for keeping it were put behind different streaming walls. I guess Discovery is on CBS all access, no access for me. No loss anyway. I wonder where the Orville went, that was still entertaining. Oh that jumped to Hulu, don't have that either. Whatever. Netflix (still) has the good star treks, I'm sticking with that.

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

I know it's not a popular opinion but I enjoy Discovery for what it is.

It's nowhere near the same league as DS9, Next Gen, or Voyager, but it can be some decent dumb fun. Anyone else just watch the first episode of Season 3? 

Is it back on? I don't even know where I could watch it nowadays. I cancelled sci-fi channel since the only reasons for keeping it were put behind different streaming walls. I guess Discovery is on CBS all access, no access for me. No loss anyway. I wonder where the Orville went, that was still entertaining. Oh that jumped to Hulu, don't have that either. Whatever. Netflix (still) has the good star treks, I'm sticking with that.

It's on Netflix, at least it is for me here in Australia.

curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

Not here, Enterprise is the latest. We do get Star Trek Beyond, but not the first two of the new movies. I have those on blu-ray anyway. The 'convenience' of streaming is going backwards :/

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

Not here, Enterprise is the latest. We do get Star Trek Beyond, but not the first two of the new movies. I have those on blu-ray anyway. The 'convenience' of streaming is going backwards :/

It's damn weird for Australia to have more access/availability to series than other countries, usually we are way behind the majors markets in this regard.

Well, I just finished watching Picard.

I honestly can't decide which I prefer between it and Discovery. Each has its own pros and cons.

Discovery has more of the fabric of the older shows in its values, and is more colourful both literally and figuratively, while Picard feels more grounded in the established Trek universe and is more tonally consistent, without the lurches from goofy to grimdark that could feel a little jarring in Discovery.

It was cool to see classic characters return in Picard, though while Picard and Seven were done justice, others like Hugh and Icheb were badly shortchanged. Though holy moly Jeri Ryan looks crazy good for being in her 50s. Isa Briones is pretty hot too. Discovery by contrast doesn't really have any hotties to speak of, at least not to my tastes.

On the whole, while I could nitpick a lot about both of them, I enjoyed both for what they were. They're not up there with Next Gen, Voyager, or DS9, but they're good fun.

The Next Generation, as much as I love DS9, TNG just has those thought provoking deep episodes that sets it apart from the other shows. Episodes like Inner Light and Darmok.

Next Gen for me as well. Can't slam the OG series too much either, but it was made so long ago that it felt a little too "oldie" for me, with the acting style and whatnot. Next Gen was more for my generation and the cast of characters and the actors playing them were just unbeatable. I liked voyager as well, but I felt the cast wasn't as strong and Kate Mulgrew's charisma alone was pretty much carrying the show for me. DS9 felt a little boring because it was centered on a space station rather than an adventuring ship. After that, the following iterations have gone downhill at a rapidly increasing pace. We've come to the point where the latest shows have nothing to do with Star Trek but their names. They are just platforms to spew SJW politics, and the showrunners even say as much. Maybe some day we'll get actual Star Trek again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Star Trek is one of these weird franchises for me in that I kind of like (almost) all of them, but I don't really love any of them at the same time.  Here is my overall ranking based on what I've seen:

1) Voyager - I actually watched the entire first season, and I liked the entire cast.  I liked the concept of them being lost.  After the first season they changed the time slot on me and I stopped watching.

2) Enterprise - I watched a lot of the first season.  My friends would tape it, and we'd watch it together.  It came on really late on a weird night.  At a certain point I stopped watching it with my friends, and I missed the rest of the series.  I really like Scott Bakula and the rest of the cast is decent too.

3) Original - I like the original cast the best out of any generation.  If we were including the movies, then I might rate this cast as the top.  However, just going by the series it rates lower.  The cast is still great, and Kirk/Spock/Bones is like the holy trinity of Star Trek.  But something about the plots or execution makes these shows boring.  Not sure why.  Also I've seen the tribbles episode like 4-5 times while there are lots of episodes I've never seen once.  Not sure how or why that happened.

4) Next Generation - The only characters I like are Picard and Data.  Worf is ok.  The rest can be jettisoned into space.  The plots are better in this series, but I really don't like the cast.  I mostly watched this, because I had a friend that really liked it and it happened to be on when were hanging out together.

5) Deep Space 9 - I could never get into this show at all.  To me Star Trek is about exploration.  This is just some people hanging out at a space station together.

Those are all of the series I've seen.  I probably got attached to the original cast more from the movies though.  Star Trek 4 is a great movie that I've seen several times and I'd still enjoy watching again.  Star Trek 1 is also good even though the pacing is slow.  The other movies with the original cast are decent.  I really like the original cast, but often the writing/directing/editing doesn't do them justice.