By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox acquires Bethesda

I'd fully expect them to be Xbox brand exclusive now.

But I'd also fully expect Xbox Game Pass to eventually make its way to competing platforms.

Around the Network
Bristow9091 said:
d21lewis said:
All's fair but damn. This could potentially be really anti-consumer. Like when we had HDD vs Blu Ray and only certain movies were available on certain devices. You HAD to own both or miss out until we eventually had a winner. This is the opposite of the future I want.

I find this VERY anti consumer, and I'm now no longer interested in a Series S

How is this different to Sony's acquisitions? No sunset Overdrive 2 for me?

Bandorr said:
Fascinating. Wonder if this is just Minecraft all over again. They buy it but do nothing with it. It still comes to every system etc.

Probably, mostly, like Minecraft.  Microsoft's main strategy, for everything (cloud, windows, surface, xbox) has been, whatever gets the consumers.

It very well could be that certain IPs will remain open to all platforms, with some nuance like, timed exclusives or bonuses on the XBOX/PC platforms.  We shall see. 

This is pretty huge.  Fallout and Elder Scrolls is right up there with Final Fantasy for me in terms of games that define if I am going to be invested in a platform.  If a Fallout or Elder Scrolls were to become XBOX only (on the console side) I would have no choice but to get an XBoxSX.  In contrast the _only_ series that ever had me invested in the XBOX ecosystem was Halo. I got the XBONE because my friend gifted me The Master Chief Collection.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Will read the defenses that Zenimax needed the money and that it is a good move unless it was made by Sony.

OP itself, I don`t play Bethesda games so even if all their games become first party I won`t miss a thing. Hope under MS they stop launching so much bug ridden games. And for the money paid I would say this is a much better purchase than Minecraft.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Gigantic megaton that has started the acquisition wars!

Around the Network

This is an incredible move from MS. And it signifies something no one has mentioned yet and that goes beyond the acquisition itself; it shows that MS more centrally have once regained their faith in the games and gaming segment of the MS conglomerate, after many years of doubts and several central units wanting to axe the entire Xbox division.

Nice move, MS, nice move. The only way for them to gain marketshare and relevance is by sheer force and determination, now they could even partly cover one of their greatest weaknesses; lack of appealing exclusives. This is sure to reignite favor from both Xbox fans, investors, and developers in the long run.

d21lewis said:
All's fair but damn. This could potentially be really anti-consumer. Like when we had HDD vs Blu Ray and only certain movies were available on certain devices. You HAD to own both or miss out until we eventually had a winner. This is the opposite of the future I want.

How is this future different from how the console market is right now and always has been?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Hopefully MS helps Bethesda to fix bugs and glitches.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

d21lewis said:

Even if they are exclusive you don’t need an xbox to play them as MS will of course release them on PC as well.

Can you say the same about Sony?

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Aside from Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo, I don't see Microsoft releasing the upcoming Fallout, Elder Scrolls, or Doom on the PS5.