By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny will be a Switch exclusive in the West

I've always put the most recent Disgaea on my "To Buy" list but never actually pulled the trigger. Maybe that will change with this one. Hopefully it turns out good.

Around the Network

Well I got 2 options.

1. Buy a Switch, which I planned to do when they price cut. (might not happen...)

2. or buy PS4 Japanese version and contribute to Famitsu with my 1 copy. It would be good Japanese practice I suppose.

Bristow9091 said:
Farsala said:

Well I got 2 options.

1. Buy a Switch, which I planned to do when they price cut. (might not happen...)

2. or buy PS4 Japanese version and contribute to Famitsu with my 1 copy. It would be good Japanese practice I suppose.

If it stays Switch exclusive in the west and the PS4 JP version has English subtitles and menus, think I'll be doing the same... it just feels wrong a Disgaea game not being on a PlayStation console (Even if it IS in Japan) 

Not too big a loss though. Although I do like Disgaea, I have to admit it is pretty niche and barely sell above 500K (at least on console, dunno how much PC adds). So no big loss for Sony.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I've heard a few possible options.

One is that Disgaea is avoiding some of the Playstation censorship recently. The 'Nintendo for boobs' take.

Another is that Disgaea's studio has financial issues a while back. While they have apparently recovered, it is possible that they needed a bit of help and Nintendo was able to give some in a 'regional exclusive' manner. Not a 'Bayonetta 2 wouldn't exist without us' way, but a bit of an extra boost out the door.

A third one I just thought of is that Japan tends to have longer tails for older systems. With PS5 coming out it might not be as worth it to release PS4 in their mind in the west, while more so in the east.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

twintail said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Will this game end up being a Switch exclusive in the west or just a timed exclusive? I think the developers are taking a "wait and see" approach. If the game is successful enough then they will probably port it to Playstation eventually in the West. Otherwise it will stay a Switch exclusive.

This definitely isn't a moneyhat though, because the game isn't important enough for a moneyhat. Monster Hunter? Yeah, that might have been a moneyhat, but not Disgaea.

I'm sorry? You think the game releasing on 2 consoles in Japan, but only exclusively on one console in the West is not the sign of some exclusivity deal? 

It's literally the bare minimum of work since the hard work of making the game is already done.

Hahah, thanks for the laugh.  

Around the Network

It's interesting that this particular game is exclusive to Switch in the West. Considering its popularity on PlayStation, I'm kinda surprised.
I guess I hope for PS fans that the PS4 version eventually comes to the West.
Its funny that people are up and arms about this. We've seen moneyhats and timed exclusives before. Rise of the Tomb Raider was met with some backlash when it was a timed Xbox One exclusive, but I honestly didn't get it. FFXVI and FFVIIR are timed exclusive, MHW is basically a PS4 exclusive in Japan (even though its on Xbone everywhere else). Persona (outside of 4 Arena and Q) is exclusive, even though 5 Scramble is a Switch/PS4 game and the SMT series has been in PS and Nintendo consoles.

It has to be Nintendo paying for the translation or something because if they have the game already made for PS4 and the translation for the Switch, there is no reason to not release the PS4 version in the west. Its not like PS4 games will stop selling in 2021, its still a console with a huge player base and the console where a lot (if not most) of the franchise fans are. Also, Disgaea may be niche but isn't Disgaea like one of the top dogs of the niche JRPG franchises? I mean 500k per entry doesn't sound bad at all, how much do the Atelier, Neptunia or Rune Factory games sell?

My guess is that this will eventually hit the PS5 and PC, but way down the line probably. I am loving the new graphics.

JCGamer55 said:
It has to be Nintendo paying for the translation or something because if they have the game already made for PS4 and the translation for the Switch, there is no reason to not release the PS4 version in the west. Its not like PS4 games will stop selling in 2021, its still a console with a huge player base and the console where a lot (if not most) of the franchise fans are. Also, Disgaea may be niche but isn't Disgaea like one of the top dogs of the niche JRPG franchises? I mean 500k per entry doesn't sound bad at all, how much do the Atelier, Neptunia or Rune Factory games sell?

Yeah with the declining sales, it might be that they wern't going to do localization (or maybe text only), but then nintendo gave them money for that, casue nintendo usually isn't the type of company to monyhat third parties. usually its the third party coming to them first, or nintendo sees a company really stuggling. they don't moneyhat companies becasue they don't need to, even monhun being 3ds exclusive was more capcom's idea since the only reason it was on the psp was becasue the DS had literally ZERO chance of running a monhun game.

also, apparently so far for disgaea, in jp the ps4 versions sold way more because the switch versions being very late ports, while in the west the switch version sold more.

Looks good I'll be getting this at launch for sure.

I'm not surprised they are focusing on the Switch after the massive sales Disgaea 5 got on the platform but I expect it to arrive on the PS5 down the line.