By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny will be a Switch exclusive in the West

JCGamer55 said:
It has to be Nintendo paying for the translation or something because if they have the game already made for PS4 and the translation for the Switch, there is no reason to not release the PS4 version in the west. Its not like PS4 games will stop selling in 2021, its still a console with a huge player base and the console where a lot (if not most) of the franchise fans are. Also, Disgaea may be niche but isn't Disgaea like one of the top dogs of the niche JRPG franchises? I mean 500k per entry doesn't sound bad at all, how much do the Atelier, Neptunia or Rune Factory games sell?

Well, VGC has Atelier Rorona and Atelier Totori as the highest selling games of the series for 480K and 430K respectively. As VGC has stopped tracking game sales a few years now, we don't know how well all the Switch versions do, but apparently good enough, as they keep coming. Hyperdimensional Neptunia for PS3 is the best selling Neptunia according to VGC, with 440K. Rune Factory 4 sold 680K on 3DS and Rune Factory and Rune Factory 2 sold 530K and 520K respectively on DS.

All these games seem to do very well on Switch, as they keep coming. I don't know if Switch breaks sales records for them as VGC stopped tracking, but apparently Switch seems to be a major platform for sales of these types of games, as they just keep coming. Playstation also seems a more and more difficult platform, with PS4 sales not better than PS3 in Japan and Sony starting to bring more censoring, which might not affect these games directly, but probably other games of similar publishers. I think we can expect more and more of these japan-centric games come to Switch. Maybe PS5 changes that again, but that is in the future and my crystal ball is broken.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
I refused to see the trailer yesterday as I was too mad... but the game is in 3D?
You finally moved to 3D and are denying me it???
I'm even more mad now.
Can't believe this shit.

3rd party moneyhatting is a shitty practice. I'd like it to end too.

BraLoD said:
I refused to see the trailer yesterday as I was too mad... but the game is in 3D?
You finally moved to 3D and are denying me it???
I'm even more mad now.
Can't believe this shit.

Calm down you all. Players on other platforms are already pretty accustomed to the feeling, that they miss out on a game or another for no apparent reason. This is seemingly a bit new to PS-gamers. And yeah, there are certainly moments of WTF. Sure. And I agree, games should meet the gamers, not the other way around, meaning the more platforms and regions a game reaches, the better.

But one thing also has to be clear: no gamer and no platform is *entitled* to get a certain game. EA could decide that they don't release FIFA anymore on Playstation. Would be pretty stupid, but hell they could do anything until they are broke. For instance once upon a time Final Fantasy was *the* game on Nintendos systems. And then came along the first 3D-entry - and misses the N64. Stuff like that happens. Being mad about it doesn't help.

For Disgaea: the game probably releases later on PC or on PS5. Only NIS will need time for the porting. Do I understand the decision to leave out the PS4 in the West? No. A digital only release at least probably wouldn't have been too bad. But alas, they decided this way. Be sad if you want, but being mad isn't helping you or bringing you the game.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RolStoppable said:
ironmanDX said:

3rd party moneyhatting is a shitty practice. I'd like it to end too.

There's no moneyhatting here. Or do people seriously believe that through more than three years of Nintendo not moneyhatting anything, they pick out regional exclusivity for a niche game like Disgaea 6 as something that is worth paying for?

Well, I honestly thought it was due to the Sony censorship issue. I just figured he was already annoyed and didn't want to push buttons. 

I'm not apologising for that pun either.

NIS needs the money to much, it's most likely just timed and will go PC/PS4/5 after 6 months to a year. This franchise was exclusive to PS for a period of time and moved around after awhile. NIS will continue to do the same over time.

Around the Network

It's a small franchise, they need to take as less risk as they can with it.

A very likely holder of the 'Bayonetta 2 existence clause', if to a minor degree. I mean if Nintendo wanted to hold a niche series to its chest it could have done it with Wonderful 101 instead of the remaster that was self-published (Nintendo would have published it if it had stayed exclusive).

What is more popular I wonder: 101 or Disgaea?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

BraLoD said:

I have just one thing to say: Fuck You Nippon Ichi.
You are privating me from my favorite series when you have both the game running on PS4 and an english translation.

This series only still exist because of support from me and some other people.

Fuck.

You.

I mean, apparently not, since they can't even be bothered to release a Playstation 4 version for your region.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
BraLoD said:

I have just one thing to say: Fuck You Nippon Ichi.
You are privating me from my favorite series when you have both the game running on PS4 and an english translation.

This series only still exist because of support from me and some other people.

Fuck.

You.

I mean, apparently not, since they can't even be bothered to release a Playstation 4 version for your region.

Switch is priority exists because for a late port it most likely did double and maybe even more than the initial release. 

BraLoD said:
Mnementh said:

Calm down you all. Players on other platforms are already pretty accustomed to the feeling, that they miss out on a game or another for no apparent reason. This is seemingly a bit new to PS-gamers. And yeah, there are certainly moments of WTF. Sure. And I agree, games should meet the gamers, not the other way around, meaning the more platforms and regions a game reaches, the better.

But one thing also has to be clear: no gamer and no platform is *entitled* to get a certain game. EA could decide that they don't release FIFA anymore on Playstation. Would be pretty stupid, but hell they could do anything until they are broke. For instance once upon a time Final Fantasy was *the* game on Nintendos systems. And then came along the first 3D-entry - and misses the N64. Stuff like that happens. Being mad about it doesn't help.

For Disgaea: the game probably releases later on PC or on PS5. Only NIS will need time for the porting. Do I understand the decision to leave out the PS4 in the West? No. A digital only release at least probably wouldn't have been too bad. But alas, they decided this way. Be sad if you want, but being mad isn't helping you or bringing you the game.

I'm not calming any fuck down.

It's not a big series that is moving consoles due to loads of money, is a series from a company that nearly went backrupty that from support from people like me still exists today.

I was super happy when Disgaea 5 came out on the Switch as it would bring them more money and help keep them in a better shape to keep making games, and this is the way they repay fans like me: switch sales were good in the west, so fuck you and all your support this last 15 years, we would rather announce it as an exclusive there to bring a bit more status attention than let you play it.

There is no way I'm calming down over this shit.

Buy a Switch if you wanna play it.  This is why I multiplatform game.  That way nothing is ever missed out.

I will credit however that this is indeed odd.  I see no reason for it not to be on PS4.  NIS being a small company could probably only prioritize one version at a time, so in the west they went with the platform it sold better on.  It will likely come to PS4 as well a bit later down the road.  This may even start being the norm for smaller Japanese companies that release niche titles, given how the market is in Japan.

Last edited by Shiken - on 18 September 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261