By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best third console?

I think the best is...

N64 40 52.63%

PS3 29 38.16%

Xbox One 7 9.21%

Total:76
d21lewis said:

All three were a big step down from their predecessor, though.

Personally, I actually liked the PS3 way more than the PS2. The 7th gen in general was just a lot more interesting to me than the 6th, it felt like 3D games finally matured.

Around the Network

It all comes down to personal taste in games and for me N64 is the winner.

Also i enjoyed the N64 controller lol. It made it easy to differentiate the noobs from the gamers on how they held the controller.

N.6.4

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

As far as which had the best games, then definitely N64. But the PS3 was such a great multimedia machine with all of the things you could do; loading videos and pictures onto it, customizing the thumbnails, all of the file types it supported. I still have mine hooked up and use it occasionally since the PS4 is garbage by comparison in that aspect.

Ah, what I called Third Console Assclownitis when the Xbox One was unveiled at E3 2013.

PS3 is the best of these due to games like Valkyria Chronicles and Ni no Kuni. It's a hell of a comeback story, but it still bled Sony out for billions and there was even talk of the PlayStation brand being finished. The N64 had Mario 64 and the Zeldas. The Xbox One was the worst.

Around the Network

Subjectively

N64 >> PS3 >>>>> Xbox One.

The N64 has my most cherished memories and essentially represented a revolution in 3D. Banjo, Zelda, Goldeneye were really my 90s holy trinity. Diddy Kong racing was also a huge part of my childhood.

The PS3 was a beastly machine but my experience was tainted by my 360 stealing much of the early gen thunder and essentially being my go to console for third parties. I didnt fully appreciate PS3 til late in the gen when the exclusives piled up.

Xbox One is a console that I've essentially skipped. I have one (my brothers) and I never felt the need to buy a game for it.

N64.

Have you seen my Top 50 list?

N64 got a few excellent games, but PS3 has that too as well as a long, long list of great ones, so I ended up voting for PS on all of these.
I'd vote for the GameCube against the PS4 though, but since Xbox doesn't have a 4th console yet, I wonder if you'll make a thread for that?

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
N64 got a few excellent games, but PS3 has that too as well as a long, long list of great ones, so I ended up voting for PS on all of these.
I'd vote for the GameCube against the PS4 though, but since Xbox doesn't have a 4th console yet, I wonder if you'll make a thread for that?

I plan to, but to make it fair I'd have to wait til Series X has been out for a while haha

Third console is the console of financial failure

Nintendo & N64 - Lost the title as top dog.  FAIL!
Sony and PS3 - Lost the title as top dog and lost a crapload of money.  FAIL!
Microsoft and XB1 - DRM and Kinect meant people went back to Sony instead.  FAIL!
Sega and Saturn - Stealth launch in the US doomed the Saturn and ultimately caused them to leave the hardware market.  FAIL!
Atari and 5200 - Crashed the whole damn console market in the US and doomed Atari as a console maker forever.  FAIL!

The only third console that wasn't a big fail was Nintendo's third handheld.  That's because their second handheld, the Virtual Boy, was a giant FAIL.  Their third handheld was either the Gameboy Color or GBA depending on how you number it.  Both were financial successes.  Perhaps the secret is to fail big on the second console and then make an epic comeback?