By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best third console?

I think the best is...

N64 40 52.63%

PS3 29 38.16%

Xbox One 7 9.21%

Total:76

*Double Post*

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Manlytears said:

you see... you can argue that Virtual Boy is Nintendo third generation "Hand Held"... just saying...

1º gen > Game & Watch
2° gen > Gameboy
3ºgen > VirtualBoy

Heh, I guess that is the secret.  I guess we count Nintendo's first gen hardware as the entire Game and Watch line.  That means that a company's third console always fails.  It's kind of like a rite of passage.

Sony also failed with their 3rd handheld.

1st gen > PSP

2nd gen > PS Vita

3rd gen > 

hinch said:
Azzanation said:
N64, its game library of 1st party games blows the other two out of the water, plus Rare were at there peak. No contest.

Lol no.

They were beasting in the SNES era. DKC 1-3, Killer Instinct, Battletoads. I don't think most games in the 5th gen or even 6th gen hold up that well today. Goldeneye and other 3D platformers were a revelation back in the 90's but feel antiquated and just plain bad to control compared to modern games. Where most of the games on SNES aged perfectly.

TLDR people need to put their nostalgia goggles back in the attic :P

I kinda group 1994-2001 together as Rare's peak personally. I feel like there's more to it than just nostalgia; there's a fondness for things we played in our childhood, but there's also the impact of playing a game in its temporal context. To really appreciate a lot of games, you kinda need to take into account how ambitious and innovative they were in their time.

I did not own any of them. But going by the type of games, N64>Xbox One>PS3

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

@curl-6

That is true. A lot of those games where revolutionary and an important part of the evolution of those genres. Its just that if people took a step back sometimes and reevaluate previous games its best left in the past. The vast majority of early 3D games on consoles controls had awful controls and basic gameplay. Sometimes due to hardware limitations in the console, other is down to the controllers itself.

I never really liked the N64 or its games. Mostly due to the controls and sluggishness. Even games from the PS2/GC/DC/Xbox era I wouldn't really go back to outside a handful of games. The 7th gen was the generation that really nailed down the modern games standard in gameplay we have now. And outside that we have perfected 2D consoles of the 4th gen that remained good and consoles hold up perfectly on modern TV's.

Last edited by hinch - on 16 September 2020

Around the Network
hinch said:

@curl-6

That is true. A lot of those games where revolutionary and an important part of the evolution of those genres. Its just that if people took a step back sometimes and reevaluate previous games its best left in the past. The vast majority of early 3D games on consoles controls had awful controls and basic gameplay. Sometimes due to hardware limitations in the console, other is down to the controllers itself.

I never really liked the N64 or its games. Mostly due to the controls and sluggishness. Even games from the PS2/GC/DC/Xbox era I wouldn't really go back to outside a handful of games. The 7th gen was the generation that really nailed down the modern games standard in gameplay we have now. And outside that we have perfected 2D consoles of the 4th gen that remained good and consoles hold up perfectly on modern TV's.

I'd still say games like Banjo Kazooie, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, and F-Zero X are great games even in spite of their age and hardware limitations.

While I would agree that in general 3D gaming reached maturing in the 7th gen, I think those that led the way and laid the foundations deserve their due credit. Some may have aged poorly but I'd still take, say, Starfox 64 over 99% of games released in the modern era.