Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best third console?

I think the best is...

N64 39 52.00%

PS3 29 38.67%

Xbox One 7 9.33%

Total:75

For me it’s a toss up between N64 and PS3. N64 had a several revolutionary type games with Golden Eye, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros OG, and Ocarina of Time to name ones that come to mind (not to mention playing pokemon in big screen via stadium). Many of these games truly set new bars and it also had a better catalogue than people give it credit for. However, I slightly lean to PS3 because there is a huge library and a lot more exclusives when you look into it many of which are just as great, but only lack the nostalgic revolution aspect. Both good consoles for their era and my vote could flip easily. Xbox One on the other hand *shakes fist*

Around the Network

The Genesis/Megadrive is the best third console.

h2ohno said:
N64 for me. If I liked the PS3's exclusives more I'd that would probably get my vote, but I found the Uncharted games, Last of Us, and God of War 3 to all be very overrated

That how I see in Nintendo games, how can people give perfect scores to Mario/Zelda or any Nintendo games with no story?!? (technically it recycle/reuse/repetitive, so not a story)

In term of gameplay both Nintendo and Playstation are the best in video game industry but the biggest advantage Sony have over Nintendo is the stories and it should matters big to gamers!

halil23 said:

That how I see in Nintendo games, how can people give perfect scores to Mario/Zelda or any Nintendo games with no story?!? (technically it recycle/reuse/repetitive, so not a story)

In term of gameplay both Nintendo and Playstation are the best in video game industry but the biggest advantage Sony have over Nintendo is the stories and it should matters big to gamers!

Because video games aren't literature. A story isn't always necessary, not every game needs one, just like not every movie needs special effects.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

N64, its game library of 1st party games blows the other two out of the water, plus Rare were at there peak. No contest.

Around the Network

Easily PS3 by a landslide, no doubt! Can't beat PS3 plethora of amazing exclusives

God of War
Uncharted
The Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid 4
WipEout HD
Resistance
Killzone
InFamous
Little Big Planet
ModNation Racer
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Ratchet And Clank
Gran Turismo
Rain
Puppeteer
Heavenly Sword
Tokyo Jungle
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Folklore
Motorstorm
3D Dot Game Heroes
Yakuza
etc etc

and the countless of great PS move/buzz/camera/singstar/indie games.

Let's not dispute fact shall we. 

Last edited by halil23 - 5 days ago

Ah the 3rd console curse...

If we’re going for it’s time, probably the N64 for me even though they canned Earthbound 64 (used to scour game magazines for any info till it was eventually announced to be cancelled), the game I was most excited for. Best party console too. Zelda, Mario, Smash , Conker, etc. Good Times

curl-6 said:
halil23 said:

Because video games aren't literature. A story isn't always necessary, not every game needs one, just like not every movie needs special effects.

That the worst example I've seen!! You watch movies to see the story unfold, same thing applies to games!! The only exception are puzzles genre.

Lame mobile games are destroying the fundamental of video game and I see some people play too much mobile games to forget the reason we play games...sadly

halil23 said:
curl-6 said:

That the worst example I've seen!! You watch movies to see the story unfold, same thing applies to games!! The only exception are puzzles genre.

Lame mobile games are destroying the fundamental of video game and I see some people play too much mobile games to forget the reason we play games...sadly

We don't all play games for the same reason. For the most part, I do not play games to see a story unfold. I play games because the act of playing is enjoyable. That is paramount, and as long as the gameplay is gold, story isn't even necessary at all.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

What I'll say about stories in videogames is that I prefer it when the stories that are told actually take advantage of the medium. Something like Mass Effect or some of the Fire Emblem games where your choices determine a lot of how the story plays out or Bioshock 1 where the message wouldn't work in a book or movie because they don't have the consumer acting in the story the way videogames do. Part of the issue for me with something like Uncharted, beyond the ludonarrative dissonance of all the killing and just not liking the shooting mechanics in general, is that its attempts at being more like a movie just highlight how much worse the story is compared to similar movies like Indiana Jones. I'd have a better time and waste less time just rewatching Raiders of the Lost Ark. Whereas I don't find myself thinking I'd rather be watching Star Wars when playing Mass Effect because no movie can give the kind of story experience the games do.