By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - September 9th will be the 25th Anniversary of PlayStation; Rumored full PS5 blowout date.

Cerebralbore101 said:

After having read this thread, I really think PS4 Disk version will be $500, and Diskless will be $450. The cost to make Dualsense, is too much. Xbox wasted zero dollars on non-graphical features. Having extra bells and whistles in your console like motion controls, or Wii U gamepads, or Dualsense, or Kinect just hurts the price to performance ratio too much. Not that I'm saying that Dualsense is anywhere near as much dead weight as those other things. If those other things are a 10,000 lb anchor holding console ships back, then Dualsense is more like a 2000 lb anchor holding the H.M.S.S. PS5 back.

P.S. When I say motion controls, I'm not talking about the Wii. I'm talking about PS4's dumb lightbar, and gyros, or Switch's motion control Joy-Cons.

Dualsense cost could be a problem if Sony decides to not take the cost themselves. If it's just about $15 more expensive than Dualshock, I think they can eat that cost.

On the other hand, I don't know if users will appreciate Dualsense as much as it's being advertised.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

$199 PS4
$299 PS4 Pro
$399 PS5 Digital
$499 PS5

Book it. This has always made the most sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
$199 PS4
$299 PS4 Pro
$399 PS5 Digital
$499 PS5

PS4 Pro serves no purpose at this point

People keep saying that it is easy for Sony to just make a competitive match with Series X but I don't think it's as easy as everyone makes it seem. Let's just assume Sony wanted to sell the discless PS5 at $450 and now because of the Series S they are thinking to drop it to $400. Well, we can easy assume (with no hardware constrains) Sony can sell 10 million in the first year. That is a whooping $500 million lost of revenue . And if PS5 is already costly then I'm sure Sony is really having a hard time convincing shareholders that the company is going to lose that much money for a console. I am gonna go on a limb here and assume PS5 regular will sell at $550 and disc less $450. If the PS3 era can show us something is that Sony can stay competitive even if they don't get first place.

Signalstar said:
$199 PS4
$299 PS4 Pro
$399 PS5 Digital
$499 PS5

I agree, but I also think PS4 Pro will be discontinued. I do think you are right, it will get a price drop (whether official, or unofficial and it just magically becomes $299 at Walmart/GameStop/etc.), but that price drop will only last until inventory runs out. I bet will Sony will keep making it till year's end, and then that is it. They would rather encourage you to spend an extra $100 to go to the PS5 Digital Edition at $399.

Base PS4 at $199 will be around for years to come though, at least through 2022 I would think. And yes, base PS4 *HAS* to drop to $199 (finally) as keeping it the same price as Xbox Series S makes no sense whatsoever.

Microsoft is more interesting - I honestly think they will discontinue Xbox One S as well this year. Just go all-in right away with Series S at $299 and Series X at $499, no other options.

Around the Network
axumblade said:
Otter said:

PS4 Pro serves no purpose at this point

Eh. Not every game will get the upgrade to PS5 so they'll probably keep it another year or so. 

Hmm, what do you mean by "keep it"? I think they will try and get rid of stock this fiscal year.

Every game going forward will be forward compatible and should feature PS5 boost mode without actually being ported to PS5. Pro support in game will still be a thing but based on the current userbase, not because sony continues to manufacture the hardware

I think it makes more sense Pro is discontinued in the coming months and they have less convolution in the retail and manufacturing space. Its already a more niche selling model and with PS4 sales dwingling it doesn't really make sense to push $299 outdated machine in 2021, it probably would't even sell at that price but lets see.

NextGen_Gamer said:
Signalstar said:
$199 PS4
$299 PS4 Pro
$399 PS5 Digital
$499 PS5

I agree, but I also think PS4 Pro will be discontinued. I do think you are right, it will get a price drop (whether official, or unofficial and it just magically becomes $299 at Walmart/GameStop/etc.), but that price drop will only last until inventory runs out. I bet will Sony will keep making it till year's end, and then that is it. They would rather encourage you to spend an extra $100 to go to the PS5 Digital Edition at $399.

Base PS4 at $199 will be around for years to come though, at least through 2022 I would think. And yes, base PS4 *HAS* to drop to $199 (finally) as keeping it the same price as Xbox Series S makes no sense whatsoever.

Microsoft is more interesting - I honestly think they will discontinue Xbox One S as well this year. Just go all-in right away with Series S at $299 and Series X at $499, no other options.

I agree with that.

---

About PS prices, what I hope for:

$200 PS4 - It has to be at least $100 cheaper than XBS.
gone PS4 Pro - I agree it's time to let it go.
$300 PS5 Digital - Playstation is the sole provider of content. No used games, no borrowed, no trading. I don't think I'd pay more than that.
$450 PS5 - To undercut MS. $450 feels like the sweet price tag for a console. We can agree that 70m of those will be sold and that it's unlikely to get any price cut in many years. So starting with $450 is the generous move. It's also danm china flu year.

God bless You.

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

I agree with that.

---

$300 PS5 Digital - Playstation is the sole provider of content. No used games, no borrowed, no trading. I don't think I'd pay more than that.
$450 PS5 - To undercut MS. $450 feels like the sweet price tag for a console. We can agree that 70m of those will be sold and that it's unlikely to get any price cut in many years. So starting with $450 is the generous move. It's also danm china flu year.

Sony would lose a lot of money, but well I would like it. A 300 USD digital PS5 would be a steal at launch and a 150 difference in price is massive.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
0D0 said:

I agree with that.

---

Sony would lose a lot of money, but well I would like it. A 300 USD digital PS5 would be a steal at launch and a 150 difference in price is massive.

Yes, I'm trying to exercise what I think is fair, but it's totally wishful thinking. It doesn't make sense to have the ps5d so cheaper and a $450 ps5 is still a dream.

However, about ps5d, even though many are going digital only and a ps5d may make sense in any price tag, I think sony needs to be very generous in the entry investment requirement, due to the fact that the profits can be huge in the long run. Those consumers will be denied even the possibility of borrow a game from a friend. I've been about 65% digital this gen, I think, but I'm not ready to give up my disc player.

God bless You.