Forums - Sony Discussion - September 9th will be the 25th Anniversary of PlayStation; Rumored full PS5 blowout date.

Any day now...



Around the Network
sales2099 said:
That awkward moment when Xbox drops bombs on Sony’s big day. This is why console wars are fun

Technically, Xbox didn't intend to release all that info this week. It got leaked and they had to roll with it.

Ljink96 said:
Somini said:
What happened with this? Was it fake?

Unless it's shadow dropped then yeah. Possibly the XSX pricing could have changed internal marketing, that's the only reason I can fathom this being fake if so many people were hinting at a 9th blowout. 

I believe this, like most other PS5 rumors was always fake. And nothing about what MS has revealed today would have changed anything on sony's front. They were probably always going to wait for MS to go first, but they would have had plans already for any number of pricepoints MS could have gone with. People like to think that these companies make decisions in a reactionary way (maybe cause thinking that way makes this all more exciting?), but they don't.

As it stands, here are the main takeaways we can take from things now.

  1. MS has announced that Xbox preorders go live around the 22nd? Or is it 23rd of this month. That at least confirms that a PS5 event will have to come up before that date and they will also be announcing the price and release that. Sony won't (or can't) have MS pre-orders go live and there still be no info on its own dates and prices for the PS5. And I believe PS5 pre-orders would go live anytime from the 23rd of this month, +/- 3 days.

  2. I also now expect that the PS5D will cost $399 and the PS5 will cost $449. Yes, I am expecting sony to undercut the XSX by $50. That to me was the whole point of waiting for them to go first. If they were always set at $399 and $499, then they could announce that price at any time. But this depends on how aggressive they want to be with their pricing, because they don't need to price the disc-based PS5 at $449, but I believe they will. And before people start talking about massive losses, I don't believe sony would b losing more than $100 on a $449 disc-based PS5. I actually have hat loss pegged to around $60.


^^ I know, it’s a beautiful accident. MS didn’t mean to be pricks, they literally had to roll with the leaks. That’s what makes it even better imo.



Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

 

Intrinsic said:
sales2099 said:
That awkward moment when Xbox drops bombs on Sony’s big day. This is why console wars are fun

Technically, Xbox didn't intend to release all that info this week. It got leaked and they had to roll with it.

Ljink96 said:

Unless it's shadow dropped then yeah. Possibly the XSX pricing could have changed internal marketing, that's the only reason I can fathom this being fake if so many people were hinting at a 9th blowout. 

I believe this, like most other PS5 rumors was always fake. And nothing about what MS has revealed today would have changed anything on sony's front. They were probably always going to wait for MS to go first, but they would have had plans already for any number of pricepoints MS could have gone with. People like to think that these companies make decisions in a reactionary way (maybe cause thinking that way makes this all more exciting?), but they don't.

As it stands, here are the main takeaways we can take from things now.

  1. MS has announced that Xbox preorders go live around the 22nd? Or is it 23rd of this month. That at least confirms that a PS5 event will have to come up before that date and they will also be announcing the price and release that. Sony won't (or can't) have MS pre-orders go live and there still be no info on its own dates and prices for the PS5. And I believe PS5 pre-orders would go live anytime from the 23rd of this month, +/- 3 days.

  2. I also now expect that the PS5D will cost $399 and the PS5 will cost $449. Yes, I am expecting sony to undercut the XSX by $50. That to me was the whole point of waiting for them to go first. If they were always set at $399 and $499, then they could announce that price at any time. But this depends on how aggressive they want to be with their pricing, because they don't need to price the disc-based PS5 at $449, but I believe they will. And before people start talking about massive losses, I don't believe sony would b losing more than $100 on a $449 disc-based PS5. I actually have hat loss pegged to around $60.

Don't make me dream. $449 would be so sweet.



God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?


Intrinsic said:
sales2099 said:
That awkward moment when Xbox drops bombs on Sony’s big day. This is why console wars are fun

Technically, Xbox didn't intend to release all that info this week. It got leaked and they had to roll with it.

Ljink96 said:

Unless it's shadow dropped then yeah. Possibly the XSX pricing could have changed internal marketing, that's the only reason I can fathom this being fake if so many people were hinting at a 9th blowout. 

I believe this, like most other PS5 rumors was always fake. And nothing about what MS has revealed today would have changed anything on sony's front. They were probably always going to wait for MS to go first, but they would have had plans already for any number of pricepoints MS could have gone with. People like to think that these companies make decisions in a reactionary way (maybe cause thinking that way makes this all more exciting?), but they don't.

As it stands, here are the main takeaways we can take from things now.

  1. MS has announced that Xbox preorders go live around the 22nd? Or is it 23rd of this month. That at least confirms that a PS5 event will have to come up before that date and they will also be announcing the price and release that. Sony won't (or can't) have MS pre-orders go live and there still be no info on its own dates and prices for the PS5. And I believe PS5 pre-orders would go live anytime from the 23rd of this month, +/- 3 days.

  2. I also now expect that the PS5D will cost $399 and the PS5 will cost $449. Yes, I am expecting sony to undercut the XSX by $50. That to me was the whole point of waiting for them to go first. If they were always set at $399 and $499, then they could announce that price at any time. But this depends on how aggressive they want to be with their pricing, because they don't need to price the disc-based PS5 at $449, but I believe they will. And before people start talking about massive losses, I don't believe sony would b losing more than $100 on a $449 disc-based PS5. I actually have hat loss pegged to around $60.

That's what I'm thinking the price will be, as well. Though, honestly with Sony going all in on these exclusives, I hope they do on price, too.  Would love to see both at $399, but maybe the DE has a little bit bigger SSD. Or DE at $379, with the same storage, and PS5 at $399. Or, at the very most, DE at $399 and PS5 at $419.



Around the Network

Already said $449, they will always undercut. Perhaps $399, rendering both Xboxes a very hard sell.



Random_Matt said:
Already said $449, they will always undercut. Perhaps $399, rendering both Xboxes a very hard sell.

If they announce the disk version at $399, I expect MS to come out the next day and say "we changed our minds.  Series X is now $399."  There ain't no way they're gonna let Sony undercut them by $100.  



VAMatt said:
Random_Matt said:
Already said $449, they will always undercut. Perhaps $399, rendering both Xboxes a very hard sell.

If they announce the disk version at $399, I expect MS to come out the next day and say "we changed our minds.  Series X is now $399."  There ain't no way they're gonna let Sony undercut them by $100.  

sure lol , they will backpedal the price of the console 100 dolars xD



ClassicGamingWizzz said:
VAMatt said:

If they announce the disk version at $399, I expect MS to come out the next day and say "we changed our minds.  Series X is now $399."  There ain't no way they're gonna let Sony undercut them by $100.  

sure lol , they will backpedal the price of the console 100 dolars xD

Why not?



Random_Matt said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

sure lol , they will backpedal the price of the console 100 dolars xD

Why not?

Because MS is willing to take some loss. They most likely already are at $499. But, another $100 loss on top of that? And with GamePass not really making them much profit, or any, yet? They're going to have some explaining to do with their shareholders to take that kind of loss for a division that's not exactly important. 

Sony, on the other hand, relies heavily on PlayStation. It's one of the main pillars of their company. They HAVE to have PS5 be another big success. Taking a decent loss upfront, subsidized with game sales (and now a ton of money from PSN), has always been their strategy. I don't see them changing that this gen, especially when they are in a better position than they ever have been.