By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - September 9th will be the 25th Anniversary of PlayStation; Rumored full PS5 blowout date.

Intrinsic said:
DonFerrari said:

Do you have real source for PS4 controller or that is just people estimatives? Would say the same for the second, seems like speculation.

Based on teardown performed by IHS back in 2013. They do stuff like that, tear down hardware and price match components used on whats in the open market. Well not "open market" but they do their thing. 

Ok if PS3 to PS4 coin raised 5 bucks it could be possible that it happens again to PS5. Sure it is still estimative, but yep it is probably within ballpark... and see the PS3 was under 15 (so close to what I thought).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Happy Birthday, but Sony skipped the date, due to the reveal of competitors price.

PopFan said:
Happy Birthday, but Sony skipped the date, due to the reveal of competitors price.

VGC needs to align the discurse. All Sony do (or don't) is determined to be reaction to something MS done.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
PopFan said:

VGC needs to align the discurse. All Sony do (or don't) is determined to be reaction to something MS done.

Especially when its quite the opposite actually.

Don't believe rumors. Most are wishful thinking.

Sony announced beforehand that they would be focusing on PS VR this week. It would be counter-intuitive to interrupt the PS VR spotlight with PS5 megatons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Indeed.

Poor Sony can't do anything by themselves.

Good old times when Sony send the presentation to press a week prior with date and content but then MS a day before do some reveal then that meant Sony was reacting to it... Or those good threads that Sony not showing any info or doing events ment their marketing was very poor and it had no hype and would fail... but then with MS giving news twice a day no matter what Sony says it is considered reacting to something, even if whatever Sony say gets 5x times more fan and market reaction.

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

Good old times when Sony send the presentation to press a week prior with date and content but then MS a day before do some reveal then that meant Sony was reacting to it... Or those good threads that Sony not showing any info or doing events ment their marketing was very poor and it had no hype and would fail... but then with MS giving news twice a day no matter what Sony says it is considered reacting to something, even if whatever Sony say gets 5x times more fan and market reaction.

Sony also never makes anything right.

If a console is a sucess it's always because someone else made mistakes, if TLoU wins GOTY it's because it didn't have competition even when it was released in the same year that the most popular videogame ever.

Sony really is a lucky bunch.

Except when they make mistakes, then it's just their own fault.

Much true, they really have a lucky star to win 3 of 4 and when they do they worse ever they still sell a lot.

Using the good VGC knowledge.

People are focusing on the full disc drive version, but I don't see Sony focusing on subsidising that directly, Sony shouldn't worry if it's same price as XSX. (too much talk here seems premised on MS plausibly threatening Sony's market position, no doubt due to stronger percepition of Xbox in US/English market) Much better to subsidize the discless version, since that will be most effective targetting people sensitive to price, AND be paid back in online sales.

But probably just as / or more important than that will be if they offer equivalent to MS' installment plan including online subscription, of course Sony's plans for their subscription offering(s) will be key part of that, but that could well be important marketing element for Sony. I believe development of that ecosystem is key to cooperation wiith their new partner Epic, so expect a focus on growing that aspect of the business.

If Sony's discless model is success which I believe it will, my question is will MS follow with similarly discounted discless XSX, and how soon? It would be easy to just ship XSX without disc drive installed, the power supply would then be slightly over-spec, but zero overhead costs.

Also curious if Sony helps back any indies that really show off the advanced triggers etc, a break out hit there would really show off platform. EDIT: The cooperation with Epic makes me wonder if that might be way to extend relevance of their controls and (upcoming) PSVR2 by having Epic standardize on those on PC or even somehow pushing it for Epic Store games. Seems like win/win (Epic differentiating it's offer by pushing most advanced mass market controllers) and basis for deepening cooperation. I read stuff about how Xbox is most common console controller on PC, but a more advanced, immersive controller seems easily marketable to PC gamers, just needs the game support for unique capabiities.

For that matter, I wonder if Sony would even consider licencing out their custom SSD controller hardware/software to PC market OEMs, give it brand name that games can use to publicize their advanced I/O capabilities, have basic performance requirements for compatible SSDs etc. Not really about gaining licencing money, but promoting unique capabilities that more crossplatform games can target in way that fully leverages PS5 hardware platform as well. Actually it need not be about directly licenced hardware, but "open standard" that anybody could produce for (yet is compatible with Sony's own solution, thus increasing market relevance for attracting 3rd party devs to optimize for it and make it "standard expectation/desire") while entrenching Playstation's relevance in relation to broader game market. Hmm... "Play I/O" seems catchy and Sony centric (while not in your face about it).

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 10 September 2020

mutantsushi said:
People are focusing on the full disc drive version, but I don't see Sony focusing on subsidising that directly, Sony shouldn't worry if it's same price as XSX. (too much talk here seems premised on MS plausibly threatening Sony's market position, no doubt due to stronger percepition of Xbox in US/English market) Much better to subsidize the discless version, since that will be most effective targetting people sensitive to price, AND be paid back in online sales.

But probably just as / or more important than that will be if they offer equivalent to MS' installment plan including online subscription, of course Sony's plans for their subscription offering(s) will be key part of that, but that could well be important marketing element for Sony. I believe development of that ecosystem is key to cooperation wiith their new partner Epic, so expect a focus on growing that aspect of the business.

If Sony's discless model is success which I believe it will, my question is will MS follow with similarly discounted discless XSX, and how soon? It would be easy to just ship XSX without disc drive installed, the power supply would then be slightly over-spec, but zero overhead costs.

Also curious if Sony helps back any indies that really show off the advanced triggers etc, a break out hit there would really show off platform. EDIT: The cooperation with Epic makes me wonder if that might be way to extend relevance of their controls and (upcoming) PSVR2 by having Epic standardize on those on PC or even somehow pushing it for Epic Store games. Seems like win/win (Epic differentiating it's offer by pushing most advanced mass market controllers) and basis for deepening cooperation. I read stuff about how Xbox is most common console controller on PC, but a more advanced, immersive controller seems easily marketable to PC gamers, just needs the game support for unique capabiities.

For that matter, I wonder if Sony would even consider licencing out their custom SSD controller hardware/software to PC market OEMs, give it brand name that games can use to publicize their advanced I/O capabilities, have basic performance requirements for compatible SSDs etc. Not really about gaining licencing money, but promoting unique capabilities that more crossplatform games can target in way that fully leverages PS5 hardware platform as well. Actually it need not be about directly licenced hardware, but "open standard" that anybody could produce for (yet is compatible with Sony's own solution, thus increasing market relevance for attracting 3rd party devs to optimize for it and make it "standard expectation/desire") while entrenching Playstation's relevance in relation to broader game market. Hmm... "Play I/O" seems catchy and Sony centric (while not in your face about it).

On an off topic note, it's a bit sad that we got to an age where installments to get a console is a reality. I dreamed with a future where consoles would get cheaper every generation to the point that they would be like printers. I wish generations were longer so that new consoles could get cheaper technology before coming out.

Although.... MS installments, in a sense, isn't really instalments, according to them. They're putting it more like a free console with subscription, so it'd be like a console as a service. But still, I would rather get to an age where consoles would be $250 tops, a price where any parent could pick one in heartbeat.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

After having read this thread, I really think PS4 Disk version will be $500, and Diskless will be $450. The cost to make Dualsense, is too much. Xbox wasted zero dollars on non-graphical features. Having extra bells and whistles in your console like motion controls, or Wii U gamepads, or Dualsense, or Kinect just hurts the price to performance ratio too much. Not that I'm saying that Dualsense is anywhere near as much dead weight as those other things. If those other things are a 10,000 lb anchor holding console ships back, then Dualsense is more like a 2000 lb anchor holding the H.M.S.S. PS5 back.

P.S. When I say motion controls, I'm not talking about the Wii. I'm talking about PS4's dumb lightbar, and gyros, or Switch's motion control Joy-Cons.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 11 September 2020