By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122

I'd take the card in a heartbeat, no console is worth much in its first year, perhaps even the first two. Technical issues, poor library, a high price on both hardware and software etc. I've never bought a console before at least one year passed, and I likely never will. I'm actually considering the brute myself (3090), that way I can max things for years to come. I'm waiting to see confirmed prices, as I'd need more RAM and a bigger PSU as well.

Around the Network

considering the grafics card that you have, I dont see the point

If I've taken what you have said correctly, then you plan on doing both.

Without re-iterating all the reasoning,that leaves you with two options. For the sake of this, lets say you purchase a PS5 at holiday season 2021.

So at Holiday 2021:

A. You will then have a card that's a year old, purchased at a higher price, and a PS5.

OR:

B. You will already have a PS5, and be now looking to upgrade your card at a cheaper price, or get a better card.

The only variable I can see is the re-sale value of your current card, how much it depreciates in the extra year vs the discount of the card you are looking at. Or will there be a better card by then? Will you have saved any extra money?

I don't see there being a pricecut for the PS5 within the first year, and unless there's a repeat of the 7th gen, I'm happy enough to dive in early with either Sony or MS hardware.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

I play third party games on PC, I literally only will use the PS5 for exclusives and ps plus games, like I have been doing my PS4 for a while now. 

Ratchet and Clank looks fantastic and I've loved those games but even if I delay purchase 6 months to a year or so then we'll see, but I feel if I don't buy one at launch I probably wont get one for over a year and let the library start to mature. I mean we all remember 2014 right??? *shudders*

I don't see why anyone would get a PS5 (or any console) at launch if this is how then intend to use it. Come back in a year or 2 when there is a backlog of quality exclusives to play. For me, PS4 didn't reach that point until late 2016.

A lot of responses to apply to all I'll reply to the main points here:

1. I do still plan on getting a PS5, getting a 3080 will mean that I'm making the upgrade to playing the majority of non competitive games in 4k.

2. I'm going to wait to see normal ras comparisons in reviews first to see exactly how these cards compare, but from what I've seen on DF it's huge.

3. PS5 Will be purchased when the exclusive library is built up a bit which means probably mid 2022.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
A lot of responses to apply to all I'll reply to the main points here:

1. I do still plan on getting a PS5, getting a 3080 will mean that I'm making the upgrade to playing the majority of non competitive games in 4k.

2. I'm going to wait to see normal ras comparisons in reviews first to see exactly how these cards compare, but from what I've seen on DF it's huge.

3. PS5 Will be purchased when the exclusive library is built up a bit which means probably mid 2022.

Then it's a no brainer, get the card.

Let PS5 building up its first party and 3rd party exclusives first and if you're lucky those games might be ported to PC later on.

Get RTX3080 asap as DLLS 2.0 is a future proof.

Well, your 2070 Super is basically on the level of a PS5. I'd probably go with the 3080 and get a PS5 later.

Edit:

Since it seems you'll mainly be playing on PC, then yeah a 3080 for sure makes the most sense. PS5 exclusives won't be in large supply for a couple of years. 

Last edited by NobleTeam360 - on 02 September 2020

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Let PS5 building up its first party and 3rd party exclusives first and if you're lucky those games might be ported to PC later on.

Get RTX3080 asap as DLLS 2.0 is a future proof.

Never like using the whole *FP* phrase cause you never know but yeah I can't see myself upgrading it until a 5080 realistically

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

-What games do you want to play on PC to make the price of RTX 3080 worth it ?( what kind of games do you atm play on PC? )
-Do you think investing in the RTX 3080 alone will be enough or do you need other upgrades in support of it ?(other than the psu)

I would say to just wait for a year or so to buy the PS5 and if you think there are enough high quality games coming out on PC to justify buying an 3080 then do that.