By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122

Simple - PS5

Buying the 3080 isn't going to get you any new games, sure it may make some of the existing ones run better but thats about it. PS5 is aimed at new games (backwards are a nice but not main driver) and don't forget the exclusives.

Oh and the 2080 you bought came out 2years ago. The PS4 lasted 7 years and the ps5 will probably last the same. If you are going to replace your graphics cards every 2 years then financially its not even close.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
@OP How would you feel if you bought a PS5, and then three years later both Miles Morales, and Ratchet came to PC? I mean, you'd basically be paying a $500 early access fee, since you don't plan on playing any 3rd party games on PS5. And even if, by some miracle, those games didn't come to PC, by then you'd be able to buy a PS5 Pro for cheaper.

You think 3 years is consider early acces? 

Early Access was a poor choice of words. I didn't mean to imply that the game was incomplete or anything. The game is complete whenever it is launched on PS5. You're paying $500 to get it sooner. Not worth it IMO.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 02 September 2020

Cerebralbore101 said:
eva01beserk said:

Early Access was a poor choice of words. I didn't mean to imply that the game was incomplete or anything. The game is complete whenever it is launched on PS5. You're paying $500 to get it sooner. Not worth it IMO.

Be that as it may, in 3 years even if you get the game and be able to play it better, there will be other games still not available and with a 3 year gap in development even better than the one just coming then.

Now aply that to the graphics card, in one year there will already be better and cheaper versions. in 3 years a much cheaper version will destroy it with who knows what the next tech will bring that this one does not and at the same time you will still be only able to play the same games with a lot of the best ones locked behing the ps5 while that its still viable at a lower cost. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Random_Matt said:
eva01beserk said:

This individual has completely lost it. Sony has him/her well upset.

that seems to be the case. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Jumpinbeans said:

Simple - PS5

Buying the 3080 isn't going to get you any new games, sure it may make some of the existing ones run better but thats about it. PS5 is aimed at new games (backwards are a nice but not main driver) and don't forget the exclusives.

Oh and the 2080 you bought came out 2years ago. The PS4 lasted 7 years and the ps5 will probably last the same. If you are going to replace your graphics cards every 2 years then financially its not even close.

So, there are no new games releasing on PC? Then why the hell am I spending so much money on Hardware?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Be that as it may, in 3 years even if you get the game and be able to play it better, there will be other games still not available and with a 3 year gap in development even better than the one just coming then.

Now aply that to the graphics card, in one year there will already be better and cheaper versions. in 3 years a much cheaper version will destroy it with who knows what the next tech will bring that this one does not and at the same time you will still be only able to play the same games with a lot of the best ones locked behing the ps5 while that its still viable at a lower cost.

Well yes, in that case if you really feel you need to play those other PS5 games then get a PS5 in three years once the exclusives really start to ramp up, the price has gone down, and the initial run of faulty launch edition consoles is gone.

The 3000 series graphics cards are the biggest leap in GPU price to performance since 2004, according to LinusTechTips.  For that reason,I sincerely doubt a new card will come along to crush the 3080 in price to performance ratios, within three years.

Peh said:
Jumpinbeans said:

Simple - PS5

So, there are no new games releasing on PC? Then why the hell am I spending so much money on Hardware?

He means no new exclusives. But that's not exactly true. PC gets critically acclaimed games not playable on Sony systems quite often.

Cerebralbore101 said:
eva01beserk said:

Well yes, in that case if you really feel you need to play those other PS5 games then get a PS5 in three years once the exclusives really start to ramp up, the price has gone down, and the initial run of faulty launch edition consoles is gone.

The 3000 series graphics cards are the biggest leap in GPU price to performance since 2004, according to LinusTechTips.  For that reason,I sincerely doubt a new card will come along to crush the 3080 in price to performance ratios, within three years.

But cards come out every single year, be it a brand new series or a refresh, they come every year and they beat the price to performance even if its only slightly in case of a refresh like the super was. as for waiting for ps5 games you always have more coming yearly but you dont get yearly relacements, or notiaceble pricedrops. so in one year you could say your glad you waited for a new card, cuz you got better and lower price, but in one year you still get the same ps5 but you had to wait on some games. if you wait 3 years you could have a twice better card, but the same ps5 probably $100 cheaper but you have had missed a bunch of great games that even if they came to pc, by then they be outdated and you probably wont want to play them anymore cuz there are much better games now. 

So someone like him who is planing on getting both, will most likely benefit from getting the one wich depreciates in value slower.

eva01beserk said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

But cards come out every single year, be it a brand new series or a refresh, they come every year and they beat the price to performance even if its only slightly in case of a refresh like the super was. as for waiting for ps5 games you always have more coming yearly but you dont get yearly relacements, or notiaceble pricedrops. so in one year you could say your glad you waited for a new card, cuz you got better and lower price, but in one year you still get the same ps5 but you had to wait on some games. if you wait 3 years you could have a twice better card, but the same ps5 probably $100 cheaper but you have had missed a bunch of great games that even if they came to pc, by then they be outdated and you probably wont want to play them anymore cuz there are much better games now. 

So someone like him who is planing on getting both, will most likely benefit from getting the one wich depreciates in value slower.

Well, I don't know if you'd be able to get double the performance of a 3080 in three years or not. @Pemalite How does 2015's 980 Ti launching at $695 compare to 2018's 2080 at around $700? Is the 2080 double the performance of the 980 Ti?

Back to @eva01beserk ...

Games don't become outdated within three years. Ten? Perhaps. But tons of games out there have aged wonderfully.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Ryotsu said:

If you only want to spend 500€ then buy the PS5, if you can spend 2000€ for a PC then buy the RTX 3080

Some people haven't really read the OP. I already have a high end gaming system, I'd only be swapping GPU's. 

So for me a 3080 to get a massive improvement in multiplat gaming and allowing me to comfortably play at 4k is better for me than spending that same money (after sellling GPU) on a console that I use for exclusives that won't have many exclusives at launch. 

Guess for me 80% improvement doesn't seem that impressive when consoles will be getting 1000% improvement due to the longer time between versions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."