By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122

Sooooooo I have a dilemma that's not really a dilemma anymore cause I think the choice is obvious for me now.

But anyway I've always planned on having a PS5 day 1.... until today. The Nvidia performance and pricing caught me so off guard that it's probably changed my plans completely.

I'm currently running a 2070 Super which is literally perfectly fine, BUT when deciding on how to spend my money, if I factor in selling the 2070 super a PS5 and RTX 3080 will likely cost me the same amount of peas (potentially cheaper to get the 3080, minus the cost of upgrading from a 650W PSU to a 850W PSU but that's neither here nor there).

I basically see it as do I get an almost 2x performance gain over the system I currently have and use the most, or do I spend that money on a PS5 that has a pretty lackluster launch and launch window, plus first edition consoles have teething issues that are solved in further iterations etc etc.

To me at least this is pretty much a no brainer to spend the money on the GPU and wait until the exclusives are compelling enough to buy a PS5. 

But hey, what do you guys thing?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:

I basically see it as do I get an almost 2x performance gain over the system I currently have and use the most, or do I spend that money on a PS5 that has a pretty lackluster launch and launch window, plus first edition consoles have teething issues that are solved in further iterations etc etc.

You are right, the choice is obvious. I honestly dont see the appeal of a PS5 - at launch at least. Wait till it gets a worthy game library. 

I also want to point out that Bad Wolves's version of Zombie is better than the original. Dolores ORiordan's voice is iconic in that song, but Bad Wolves made it their own in an awesome way. 

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 01 September 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

3080 son, PS5 is only worthy when HZD2 comes out. But truth be told I'll just buy one from Amazon and return it in 30 days, love their return policy. They will literally be in competition with a RTX 3060, they should of went with Nvidia instead of AMD. It's another slap in the face when AMD's next card will be vastly fsater than what PS5/XSX have in them.

RTX 3080, their are enough games coming out on pc anyways. Perhaps Sony will release all their games on PC and PS5 on the same day. Doesn't seem to hurt microsoft all that much.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

3080 son, PS5 is only worthy when HZD2 comes out. But truth be told I'll just buy one from Amazon and return it in 30 days, love their return policy. They will literally be in competition with a RTX 3060, they should of went with Nvidia instead of AMD. It's another slap in the face when AMD's next card will be vastly fsater than what PS5/XSX have in them.

Boyyyy if I don't have a PS5 when HZD2 comes out then that's when I'll be getting one.

And yeah Sony and MS really missed a step not going Nvidia, if just for DLSS 2.0 aloneeee. They would've been Ampere machines for sure, actually get high frame rate ray tracing at 4k because of DLSS. Nvenc encoding for people who stream from consoles, RTX Voice for party chat, and so much more that Nvidia offer not including fps. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what AMD has with RDNA 2 but, It aint looking good compared to Ampere.

Well, I kinda gave up on consoles a couple of gens ago (Except for my 2DS, that I bought for mobile gaming) Today I spend most of my gaming time on PC.

Based on what you said, I would suggest getting the 3080, since you already have a nice deal. If you really want the PS5 for some exclusive games, I suggest waiting a couple of years until the library expands, and you can find it for a good price.

Captain_Yuri said:

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

I play third party games on PC, I literally only will use the PS5 for exclusives and ps plus games, like I have been doing my PS4 for a while now. 

Ratchet and Clank looks fantastic and I've loved those games but even if I delay purchase 6 months to a year or so then we'll see, but I feel if I don't buy one at launch I probably wont get one for over a year and let the library start to mature. I mean we all remember 2014 right??? *shudders*

ArchangelMadzz said:
Random_Matt said:

Boyyyy if I don't have a PS5 when HZD2 comes out then that's when I'll be getting one.

And yeah Sony and MS really missed a step not going Nvidia, if just for DLSS 2.0 aloneeee. They would've been Ampere machines for sure, actually get high frame rate ray tracing at 4k because of DLSS. Nvenc encoding for people who stream from consoles, RTX Voice for party chat, and so much more that Nvidia offer not including fps. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what AMD has with RDNA 2 but, It aint looking good compared to Ampere.

Yeah they do, no way the RTX 3070/3080 would be these prices.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I play third party games on PC, I literally only will use the PS5 for exclusives and ps plus games, like I have been doing my PS4 for a while now. 

Ratchet and Clank looks fantastic and I've loved those games but even if I delay purchase 6 months to a year or so then we'll see, but I feel if I don't buy one at launch I probably wont get one for over a year and let the library start to mature. I mean we all remember 2014 right??? *shudders*

Don't remind me, trying to get the ps4 was like trying to find a needle in a haystack while competing against ebay bots and scalpers. The 3000 series is also gonna be huge though as a lot of people have been waiting for a jump like this as Turing really wasn't a good jump compared to Maxwell and Pascal. Not to mention, if you have been looking at the cryptoscene... That's been going up as well.

The end of 2020 is gonna be a giant fuck you for console/GPU buyers unless you have trigger fingers and no sleep loll.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850