By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122
Cerebralbore101 said:
Damn, I just looked at the specs and even the 3070 is a massive leap. Definitely go for a 3070 or 3080. I'll be upgrading, myself as soon as I can get one ordered at BestBuy.

Yep. A RTX 3070 is at RTX 2080Ti levels and that is a £469 card. RTX 3080 is £649 here for Founders Edition.

Sell now while return value is high.

Around the Network
hinch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Damn, I just looked at the specs and even the 3070 is a massive leap. Definitely go for a 3070 or 3080. I'll be upgrading, myself as soon as I can get one ordered at BestBuy.

Yep. A RTX 3070 is at RTX 2080Ti levels and that is a £469 card. RTX 3080 is £649 here for Founders Edition.

I'd sell now but then I'd be without a system aha

Sometimes GPU pricing is dumb like how the 1080ti has basically never stopped being expensive. I'll get around to selling it once I've got the 3080 in my system, I still have a 3900x lying around that I need to sell off too.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Ah yeah didn't think about that lol. I guess I'm lucky I have a spare (and reaally old) HD4850 in my old PC that will tie me over. Gonna flog my GTX 1070 on fleabay.

I think a part of the reason why the 1080Ti kept its value is because of the mining boom and the card holding its own in performance over the 20XX series. This time will be different, since performance jump from Turing to Ampere is frankly, huge. Much like the jump from Maxwell to Pascal. Adding to that doesn't make sense for a person to buy and old GPU over a new one with new tech :P

ArchangelMadzz said:
hinch said:

I'd sell now but then I'd be without a system aha

Sometimes GPU pricing is dumb like how the 1080ti has basically never stopped being expensive. I'll get around to selling it once I've got the 3080 in my system, I still have a 3900x lying around that I need to sell off too.

I'm currently cardless, it is only 15 days. 3900X is worth jack on Ebay unfortunately. People need to realise these new cards are going to be gone in like 15 minutes, my email tab is 100% always open.

I fid this dilemastrange lol..

So you basically are trying to choose between buying something that just gives you better gaming performance, vs something that gives you access to a library of games you will not find on the PC? An argument can be made to "upgrade your PC now for a 3080 ad PSU which will no doubt set you back at least $600. Or spend $700 for a PS5 and a game or two. But here's the thing though. You can also wait a year for the PS5 to have a more compelling library, or you can also wait a year for the 3080 to drop in price a little too.

Unless of course pushing more pixels or faster pixels is that important to you.

Around the Network

I'm sort of the opposite right now. While I plan on buying both this year if able, the only PC game in the near future I'm really anticipating that would take advantage of the upgrade is Cyberpunk, and I'll probably get by just fine at 1440p w/ RT off for now. On the flipside, I'm also really anticipating both Miles Morales and Ratchet and am going to actually need a PS5 to play those any time soon.

Comparing apples and water melons, man.

The wise choice is gameboy colour. 

Last edited by green_sky - on 01 September 2020

By the way, these cards are mostly just RTX improvements. The 3080 doesn't have 8704 cores, FP64 was simply split and actually has 4352 the same as the 2080 TI.

A 3070 does not have better ras than a 2080 TI, kinda a moot card imo.

If I were to get a graphics card, I'd get it ASAP. Prices can rise, and the earlier you buy, the longer the time you'll have with the card before it becomes dated. 3080 will be better than the PS5, but you wont have any exclusives. If exclusives don't matter to you, then there's no reason to consider a PS5. I've been burned out on PS exclusives for years, as they're all just single player story based corridors of fighting enemy hordes. It gets old after doing it in the uncharted games, tomb raider, batman, etc. I just don't enjoy it, or paying for PS+, I wasn't able to finish any PS4 game this gen outside of Detroit: Become Human. The other 3 games I finished this gen were either on PS3, or PC, and that's when I beat it.

But, Windows 10 comes with xbox live, and you wont have to pay a subscription to use it on PC.

However... Seeing that you have a 2070 Super...  I don't see why you wouldn't want to at least wait until next year, and get a 4080.  There wont be a big enough improvement to justify, unless you coming from a 1000 series or older.

Sony will be putting more and more of their stuff on PC. Makes the choice easy if you are into PC gaming.