By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS5 or RTX 3080 (Lol update)

What would be wisest?

PS5 54 44.26%

RTX 3080 49 40.16%

Neither, you don't need a... 19 15.57%

Total:122
Cerebralbore101 said:
eva01beserk said:

But cards come out every single year, be it a brand new series or a refresh, they come every year and they beat the price to performance even if its only slightly in case of a refresh like the super was. as for waiting for ps5 games you always have more coming yearly but you dont get yearly relacements, or notiaceble pricedrops. so in one year you could say your glad you waited for a new card, cuz you got better and lower price, but in one year you still get the same ps5 but you had to wait on some games. if you wait 3 years you could have a twice better card, but the same ps5 probably $100 cheaper but you have had missed a bunch of great games that even if they came to pc, by then they be outdated and you probably wont want to play them anymore cuz there are much better games now. 

So someone like him who is planing on getting both, will most likely benefit from getting the one wich depreciates in value slower.

Well, I don't know if you'd be able to get double the performance of a 3080 in three years or not. @Pemalite How does 2015's 980 Ti launching at $695 compare to 2018's 2080 at around $700? Is the 2080 double the performance of the 980 Ti?

Back to @eva01beserk ...

Games don't become outdated within three years. Ten? Perhaps. But tons of games out there have aged wonderfully.

Nvedia are claiming a 2x performance on a 2 year old card for the same price with the 3080. I dont belive it, and digital foundry stated that to not be the case and more like 80%, but its still a 2 year old card. next year the ti's will probably be far above it. Probably higher prices, so its gona be harder to compare to a card with the exact same cost. but we will see. 

Not all games, but a lot of them do. think of any call of duty, fifa, maden, forza. Sony's games dont tend to be outdated in 3 years, but that dosent mean that in 3 years another game wont be released by sony that beats that 3 year old game in every way and your more inclined to play that one over the old one.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Jumpinbeans said:

Simple - PS5

Buying the 3080 isn't going to get you any new games, sure it may make some of the existing ones run better but thats about it. PS5 is aimed at new games (backwards are a nice but not main driver) and don't forget the exclusives.

Oh and the 2080 you bought came out 2years ago. The PS4 lasted 7 years and the ps5 will probably last the same. If you are going to replace your graphics cards every 2 years then financially its not even close.

It's okay, reading can be difficult.

Cerebralbore101 said:

@OP How would you feel if you bought a PS5, and then three years later both Miles Morales, and Ratchet came to PC? I mean, you'd basically be paying a $500 fee to play it sooner, since you don't plan on playing any 3rd party games on PS5. And even if, by some miracle, those games didn't come to PC, by then you'd be able to buy a PS5 Pro for cheaper.

It wouldn't bother me, part of me might want to play them again in better quality like how I have HZD on steam right now (albeit I got it free).

But I think I do need to point out the fact that I am going to buy a PS5. It's just if I get a 3080 I won't be getting a PS5 until next holiday at the complete earliest. More likely summer 2022. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Honestly from what you have said @OP if I were in your shoes, I would probably get the PS5.

From my perspective, I also have a PC with near identical specs as yours with 2070 though I have a Ryzen 3700x.

I do play AAA games on pc as well and stick with the PS4 for just the exclusives and PS+, It just doesnt seem worth it to me to upgrade the PC every couple of years, but that is just me.

Either way you it is up to you.

Captain_Yuri said:

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

Their are more games on PC in general. So not only will you play 90% of the games on PS5, you will also gain access to its already super large library of games with better enhancements. 

Azzanation said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Getting a Ps5 will allow you to have access to more games since you can play exclusives where as a 3080 will significantly enhance your existing games and upcoming multi-platform games.

Personally speaking though, as my main interest is in Ratchet and Clank, I would delay my purchase for the ps5 until then if I had to choose.

Their are more games on PC in general. So not only will you play 90% of the games on PS5, you will also gain access to its already super large library of games with better enhancements. 

Eeerrr he won`t get access to any new game since his current setup is already enough to play whatever releases on PC for the next couple years or more.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Azzanation said:

Eeerrr he won`t get access to any new game since his current setup is already enough to play whatever releases on PC for the next couple years or more.

But 4k 60fps with ray tracing tho

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Bandorr said:
Azzanation said:

Why is it that every time you make up a fake statistic it is 90?

He's in bed with MS.

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 02 September 2020

ArchangelMadzz said:
DonFerrari said:

But 4k 60fps with ray tracing tho

That will be a never ending chase =p because then next year they will put even more effects and you need to dial down. And DLSS2.0 have its shortcomings and artifacts added.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Consider PS NOW if you only want a small number of exclusive titles.

DonFerrari said:

If you want to play more games at higher fidelity especially the newer games than the RTX 3080 is the better option. Dont forget PSNow is also on PC and more games are coming from PS.

Bandorr said:

Why is it that every time you make up a fake statistic it is 90?

Its a rough estimate however do you disagree? Steam alone has over 33,554+ games since it launched, the PS4 has 1893+ games. How many exclusives do you think PS has compared to the market? Also remember the PS games on PSNow and future games coming. 

Now dont take these numbers too seriously or granted but the bottom line is PC has more games to play and they all benefit from greater hardware. Dont expect the PS5 to offer more games than PC anytime soon.