By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will COD ever come to Switch?

Will COD ever come to Switch?

Yes 7 20.00%

No 28 80.00%

Total:35
javi741 said:

It surprises me that COD isn't on the Switch when it was on mobile, DS & Wii. The argument some people bring up is that "the Switch can't handle it". However, we've seen one of the biggest most graphically demanding games this gen like the Witcher 3 make there way on Switch, which imo is more demanding than COD MW.

I hope most people understand this, but I'll point it out here.

Switch can essentially handle any game. It's a matter of how much money a publisher needs to, and wants to, spend in order to make it work with acceptable results. So when people say "I don't think Switch can handle it", that can be a shorter way of saying they think its unfeasible considering the cost, and/or that the end result may stray too far from what the publisher thinks is acceptable for their title, etc.

Witcher 3 does not mean that any game that is less demanding has no excuse of being ported to Switch. Rather, it's a case study of how well they were able to make a game like that run on Switch. And even on just one cartridge.

But the relevance to your question here is that CD Project Red were willing to spend the money to make this happen.
Not every publisher sees it that way, even for games where they potentially need to spend significantly less money than CD Project Red did.

Last edited by Hiku - on 11 August 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
kazuyamishima said:
No, on mainly not because of power because of sales.

Aside of minecraft and maybe maybe Just Dance, there’s not a third party game on switch that has sold more than 5 million units.

Ports don't need to sell 5 million. The Wii COD games sold 1-2 million and yet were profitable enough for them to keep coming year after year.

Doom 2016 sold less than a million on Switch yet was profitable enough for Doom Eternal to be ported.

Although Doom Eternal seems to be M. I. A at the moment 🙄

zippy said:
curl-6 said:

Ports don't need to sell 5 million. The Wii COD games sold 1-2 million and yet were profitable enough for them to keep coming year after year.

Doom 2016 sold less than a million on Switch yet was profitable enough for Doom Eternal to be ported.

Although Doom Eternal seems to be M. I. A at the moment 🙄

It's coming, they mentioned it on their Quakecon panel just a few days ago, it's just taking longer than expected because of working from home.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
kazuyamishima said:
No, on mainly not because of power because of sales.

Aside of minecraft and maybe maybe Just Dance, there’s not a third party game on switch that has sold more than 5 million units.

So what’s the reason then?

With COD, Activision doesn’t manage the same volume of sales as the ones you mentioned. 

Every COD game on PS4 crossed the 5 million mark easily in a couple of months and I reckon that most COD’s on PS4 already crossed the 10 million mark.

Why they would spent money to port COD to switch only to sell 1-2 million units LTD when they can sell that quantity on PS4/Xbone/PC in a couple of weeks??

Activision should at least test the water and put the mobile version on the Switch.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

At least a COD Mobile port or an older COD would be welcome on Switch, but we got nothing. What do you guys think is holding off Activision from porting COD to Switch?

The same reason there's no GTA, COD is all about it's online. Unless it is easy for switch owners to have access to large storage, and have a desire to spend money on extra content, there's little incentive for Activision here.

Of course, they could always just do the SP campaign, but whether the Switch userbase cares only about CoD SP is another question altogether.

That's my theory anyways. 

I do think CoD is coming eventually, but not until 2022-2023. PS5 and Series X sales are going to be slow out of the gate. CoD will have to come to Switch if Activision actually wants to make some money on them.

kazuyamishima said:
curl-6 said:

So what’s the reason then?

With COD, Activision doesn’t manage the same volume of sales as the ones you mentioned. 

Every COD game on PS4 crossed the 5 million mark easily in a couple of months and I reckon that most COD’s on PS4 already crossed the 10 million mark.

Why they would spent money to port COD to switch only to sell 1-2 million units LTD when they can sell that quantity on PS4/Xbone/PC in a couple of weeks??

Probably because they can't push all those microtransactions, lootboxes and whatsnot nearly as successfully on the Switch than on it's competitors. So sales on the Switch would result in less revenue than on competing platforms, which for them is generally considered a net loss.

Either that, or Bobby Kotick hates Nintendo or the Switch with a passion and rather makes less money than porting their flagship game.

However, I really don't mind it's absence. I am hoping that CoD and Activision die a painful death since the day they bought Blizzard, so...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 11 August 2020

It's so much easier to make money on PS and Xbox consoles, because you can tell those demographics that they are hardcore gamers to make them feel good about themselves, and then nickle and dime them at every corner. It's basically an upside down world when it comes to reality vs. perception. PS and Xbox consoles are perceived to be the home of hardcore gamers, but in reality the consoles' primary purpose is to provide a dumbed down PC experience for the masses. It attracts a casual audience which is why the payment models of mobile gaming can be successfully laid on top of the typical console gaming payment models.

While there's the popular perception that Nintendo is much closer to mobile than Sony and Microsoft, the reality is that the nickel and dime schemes don't pick up steam on Nintendo platforms. Nintendo themselves tried and not even they could do it, so the big third parties that are reliant on microtransactions don't see a reason why they would succeed where Nintendo failed.

Of course it's not the entire PS and Xbox audience who is okay with microtransactions. As time has passed, the continued success of Grand Theft Auto V has frustrated more and more people, not just the PS faction that predominantly plays Japanese games, but also the people who actually do play those microtransaction-heavy games.

To address this topic specifically, Activision has yet to care enough about Switch to release the few games they bring to the console simultaneously with other platforms. It's one of the business tactics where you want to drive the point home that PS and Xbox consoles are the real deal. The more people you get to buy PS and Xbox consoles, the more you get to profit from your core business which for Activision is microtransactions. On top of that, Call of Duty is an IP that has seen increasing monetary benefits from Sony and Microsoft, which basically puts CoD in the basket where Activision expects that Nintendo will pay to get the IP on their console. That's not what Nintendo will do though, so the bottom line is that it's improbable for CoD to come to Switch or Switch's successor.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

The witcher 3 is old now though doesnt really push the newer ps4 pros or anything