By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (Switch 61.44m, Animal Crossing 22.4m)

Just noticed that the explanatory material straight up gives statistical proof that AC has been the main system seller by far:

"The number of consumers who started playing on Nintendo Switch because of this game continued to increase during the first quarter, from April to June 2020. Of all systems in the Nintendo Switch family that were played for the first time during this period, over half were used to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons on the first day."

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Dyotropic said:
No numbers for paper mario switch?

The numbers are only as of June 30th, so no Paper Mario till the next report.

Dyotropic said:
No numbers for paper mario switch?

The report is from April-June and Paper Mario released in July. They could maybe theoretically have brought it up anyways in the explanatory material, but it was never very likely.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Can we rename AC:NH into AC: Blue Ocean?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Damn, huge numbers, AC + pandemic really driven switch sales.
Next quarter AC will become the best selling Switch game

Around the Network

Phenomenal AC numbers. Shipping as many units in second quarter as launch quarter is insane, even if launch quarter only had 10-ish days of release.

And it seems the gaming boost from coronavirus has had an effect on those evergreen titles. BOTW's best non-holiday quarter since Jan-March 2018.

Only checked Odyssey and BOTW but they are both up YoY.

So, I got curious.

I looked up the highest selling, non-holiday quarters for the Wii and DS for comparsion.

DS - 6.98 million (April-June, 2007)
NS - 5.68 million (This quarter)
Wii - 5.43 million (January-March, 2009)

The Switch is an absolute monster.

Marth said:
Otter said:
Any idea what those 3rd party titles might me be?

Minecraft and Mincraft Dungeons come to mind

Minecraft Dungeons has no retail release yet so it's not that one. Minecraft is a slamdunk though.

Just Dance 2020 could be it, or a wildcard - NBA2k20 because it was basically free for a full month. 95% off or whatever it was on the e-shop. 

And for SMM2 ?

At this point, all possibilities should be on the table for Switch predictions. It just keeps defying logic. Who could've predicted Animal Crossing to become such a behemoth.

New and old IPs alike just keep breaking new ground on this system. I'm starting to wonder what the ceiling could be for Metroid Prime 4. Assuming it's the same quality as past games, I'm thinking 5mil+ is a fairly reasonable bar to clear already.

Love seeing more great Xenoblade numbers. So well deserved. Can't wait to see them unveil the new IP they're working on.