Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (Switch 61.44m, Animal Crossing 22.4m)

Holy moly spaghetti-oooOOOO !!

These numbers are just too huge for the common mortals to understand them 0-0

Anywoo, I heard from Gamexplain that XC DE sales was around half of what XC2 is at right now. This would mean the game is over 2.5M sold right now ?! Huge for the series if true. Slowly but surely, Nintendo and Monolith Soft are building the next mastodon in the JRPG with FF and ... *Persona ...

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
trunkswd said:

People are remembering the huge cliff of the Wii and fans are worried the same will happen with the Switch. 

Wii sold 25.95m during it's peak fiscal year.  After that it sold another 51.25m.  This is Switch's peak fiscal year and 25.95m is a pretty decent estimate.  If Switch sells this and has the same decline as the Wii, then lifetime sales end up at 132.98m.  That is what a "crash and burn" scenario looks like for the Switch.  People are thinking crash and burn is like 100m-110m.  No, crash and burn is 133m.  Wii had weak first party games and weak third party games (other than Just Dance) after 2009.  And if Switch fizzles out, then yeah it will sell 133m.  That is a pessimistic number that is feasible.

On the other hand, the likelyhood of Switch going to a crash and burn scenario is small.  Wii had no Pokemon games, which Switch will likely get 2 more (a port and a new one).  BotW2 is going to be far more popular than Skyward Sword, and Nintendo is going to keep a steady flow of games on the Switch until it's ready to replace it.  Western Devs are going to keep porting PS4 games over, because that is easy money.  Japanese devs are just getting started putting brand new 3rd party games on Switch.  It is far more likely that Switch will not crash and burn.

It is far more likely that Switch will sell a lot more than that 133m crash and burn scenario.

Wii had 3 Pokemon spin-off games.

Marth said:
xMetroid said:
Switch keeping the 19 million forecast but up the production to 25 millions already... that would have reassured the investors but oh well.

Botw will def sell better than pokemon and Odyssey now, as it should. AC doing crazy numbers. I thought 20 and it was already huge..

Switch doing almost 6 million in a Q1 is mental. With no price cut, so they must make a lot of money. Also it could be under tracked on this site, even though we had huge numbers.. insane.

Profit from Q1:
Sony: $1.15B
Nintendo: $1.37B

Is this all of sony or just their games division?

Looking all but certain that by the end of the year, Switch will have six 20 million+ selling games. 

That's more than any system ever except the Wii, which had seven, and Switch still has years left to get more.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

zorg1000 said:
Maynard_Tool said:
If Nintendo handles things correctly, as its supposed to, I believe Switch will be the best selling console of all time. It has everything in its favor to do so, the only thing that could go wrong, is nintendo screwing things BIG time... like a seriously fucked up situation!

In the mean time, Kudos! Exceptional numbers. This holiday season will be very interesting with the consoles and switch selling like crazy, cant wait.

its pretty ridiculous to say the only way it doesn't pass PS2 is by screwing up big time.

What I mean is that there is no reason for the switch not to pass Ps2 numbers, unless Nintendo decides to cut the life of it. it has everything to extend the life of switch long enough to pass Ps2. By having only one console, you dont have to split your audicence. Just look at all the games Nintendo could release in the switch. Next year, a 50 dllr price cut, in 2022 Switch pro And another 50 price cut in the other 2 models. By 2023 the pro could get a price cut, and by 2024 the other models could get another price cut. Bundles, extra colors, the blue ocean, nintendo franchise waiting for a release .... there is just so much nintendo could do, but I don’t know if they will. 

just like Sony is prioritizing profit over console sold by not lowering the price, nobody knows what’s on Nintendo’s mind

Manlytears said:
Maynard_Tool said:
If Nintendo handles things correctly, as its supposed to, I believe Switch will be the best selling console of all time. It has everything in its favor to do so, the only thing that could go wrong, is nintendo screwing things BIG time... like a seriously fucked up situation!

In the mean time, Kudos! Exceptional numbers. This holiday season will be very interesting with the consoles and switch selling like crazy, cant wait.

it won't even come close to the 150M, I will be very surprised if it reaches 120M. Nobody will beat the numbers of Ps2, at least not in the "Switch-Ps5-Series" generation be sure of this...

Manlytears said:
Maynard_Tool said:

it won't even come close to the 150M, I will be very surprised if it reaches 120M. Nobody will beat the numbers of Ps2, at least not in the "Switch-Ps5-Series" generation be sure of this...

120M? Really? 

2020- 70 M at least (62M right now)

2021- 90M (20 Million sold)

2022 - 105M (15 M)

2023- 115 (10 M)

2024 - 122 M (7 M) 

i think this is a realistic low prediction for the Switch; it would be shocking if it doesnt get to 120M sold

Last edited by Maynard_Tool - on 07 August 2020

Around the Network

This is absolute madness.

40 Million+ lifetime may not be out of the question lol.

PotentHerbs said:

Who knows, it might even outsell the Xbox One.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
PotentHerbs said:

Who knows, it might even outsell the Xbox One.

That is just crazy talk.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Quick note at the current rate 100m could be reached come the end of next FY.

PotentHerbs said:

The Switch is on fire! Maybe it could even outsell the Nintendo 64!