By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (Switch 61.44m, Animal Crossing 22.4m)

RolStoppable said:
farlaff said:
This has nothing to do with the Switch, which is of course doing amazing, but the software/hardware attach rate on the WiiU was actually pretty good now that I saw it:

Wii U
Hardware: 13.56 million units
Software: 103.21 million units

Every other poor WiiU owner like myself got close to having 10 games more or less. I would honestly think that number to be higher on Switch by now considering the people that I know. Most have a loooooot of games for it, and I am one of those lol. Unless I failed to see something (and, of course, 13,5 mil hardware makes it obviously a way different situation than 62 mil like the Switch), the hybrid could be past 500mil SW with a similar rate. Maybe a large portion of Switch owners buy it for AC, MK and Smash/Pokemon (or some other game) only?

That's a tie ratio of 7.61, so not really close to 10. Switch is at 6.62 right now.

But this is comparing an as good as final tie ratio (only miniscule amounts of Wii U software still sell) to a still developing tie ratio. Tie ratios grow over time which is something you can view in my spreadsheet (purple box, left column). People buy the console with 1-3 games, then it takes a while until they buy another game, and so on and so forth. Lots of new owners means that there are millions of people who prevent faster growth of the tie ratio, but it keeps growing nevertheless, so there's no real disadvantage in the long run.

Tie ratios tend to grow by about 1 game per year, so Switch will match and then exceed the Wii U's tie ratio soon enough.

Yeah exactly. Like, even though Switch is now over 60 million, about 35% of those owners have only had it for about 9 months or less up to these quarterly results. A lot of that 35% of owners probably only have 1-4 games at this point.

Around the Network
mk7sx said:

Top list is JP by Fiscal Year.  Bottom list is Overseas by Fiscal Year.

Thanks mk7sx that's a great graph to see.

AC is at like 7.15 million in Japan alone now. Does that put it 3rd on the all time Japan list?

Wyrdness said:
Roma said:
Zelda having more sales than Pokemon is the shocker here! Even outselling Mario! :O hori sheit!

Not when you factor in how much difference it is from past titles as it has more in common with games like GTA than prior titles. 

no one could have seen this coming though. I wonder if this will make them do an open world Mario game as well?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

RolStoppable said:
farlaff said:
This has nothing to do with the Switch, which is of course doing amazing, but the software/hardware attach rate on the WiiU was actually pretty good now that I saw it:

Wii U

Every other poor WiiU owner like myself got close to having 10 games more or less. I would honestly think that number to be higher on Switch by now considering the people that I know. Most have a loooooot of games for it, and I am one of those lol. Unless I failed to see something (and, of course, 13,5 mil hardware makes it obviously a way different situation than 62 mil like the Switch), the hybrid could be past 500mil SW with a similar rate. Maybe a large portion of Switch owners buy it for AC, MK and Smash/Pokemon (or some other game) only?

That's a tie ratio of 7.61, so not really close to 10. Switch is at 6.62 right now.

But this is comparing an as good as final tie ratio (only miniscule amounts of Wii U software still sell) to a still developing tie ratio. Tie ratios grow over time which is something you can view in my spreadsheet (purple box, left column). People buy the console with 1-3 games, then it takes a while until they buy another game, and so on and so forth. Lots of new owners means that there are millions of people who prevent faster growth of the tie ratio, but it keeps growing nevertheless, so there's no real disadvantage in the long run.

Tie ratios tend to grow by about 1 game per year, so Switch will match and then exceed the Wii U's tie ratio soon enough.

Very nice comment, thanks! I was thinking something around those lines and I totally agree that there is no long term disadvantage. I was just actually impressed that the WiiU managed to push those SW numbers, that being the main reason I posted.

Also: "(only miniscule amounts of Wii U software still sell)". I contributed to that some months ago because I bought Wii Fit U digital! XD

Around the Network
Olivernintentoal said:
farlaff said:

Wii U

I bought it for SSB and Fire Emblem.

Yeah, maybe I'm on to something? :P

JK

If Nintendo handles things correctly, as its supposed to, I believe Switch will be the best selling console of all time. It has everything in its favor to do so, the only thing that could go wrong, is nintendo screwing things BIG time... like a seriously fucked up situation!

In the mean time, Kudos! Exceptional numbers. This holiday season will be very interesting with the consoles and switch selling like crazy, cant wait.

javi741 said:
"It's still up in the air whether the Switch will hit 100 Million Sold" LMAO

The End Cliff is near!

jonathanalis said:
No one predicted this high AC numbers.
I think the highest prediction was T-bone's at 19.5M

As usual, @tbone51's BOLD predictions are actually lowballs.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 07 August 2020

Maynard_Tool said:
If Nintendo handles things correctly, as its supposed to, I believe Switch will be the best selling console of all time. It has everything in its favor to do so, the only thing that could go wrong, is nintendo screwing things BIG time... like a seriously fucked up situation!

In the mean time, Kudos! Exceptional numbers. This holiday season will be very interesting with the consoles and switch selling like crazy, cant wait.

its pretty ridiculous to say the only way it doesn't pass PS2 is by screwing up big time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.