By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (Switch 61.44m, Animal Crossing 22.4m)

HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

If we are talking about Pokémon games that have monstruous sales and enough power to impact the sales of its console significantly (which is what we are doing here) then it's implied that we are talking about mainline Pokémon games even if they are not being called "mainline" Pokémon games. This is even more obvious given the fact that the other user was trying to diferentiate the Switch from Nintendo home consoles like the Wii. Since mainline Pokémon games have only appeared on handheld systems... If at that point you still need clarification about what kind of Pokémon games is he refering to, either you have serious comprehension problems or you are just playing dumb on purpouse just for the sake of being nitpicky and calling someone out.

And Wii sold ridiculous without any mainline Pokemon game so... 

He was talking about how the Wii sales dropped at some point around 2009-2010 due to the lack of a strong first and third party support. He argued that, unlike the Wii, the Switch has a very good amount of games that will make the situation different, like new Pokémon games, BotW 2 and so on. 

Now, you can or cannot agree with that statement. But it's very clear to everyone except you what kind of Pokémon games he was refering to. Therefore, and this is why we are still discussing your nonesense, he has no need to clarify anything. The problem is yours, not his. 

And that's all I have to say about this. Have a nice day... 

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 08 August 2020

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

He was talking about how the Wii sales dropped at some point around 2009-2010 due to the lack of a strong first and third party support. He argued that, unlike the Wii, the Switch has a very good amount of games that will make the situation different, like new Pokémon games, BotW 2 and so on. 

Now, you can or cannot agree with that statement. But it's very clear to everyone except you what kind of Pokémon games he was refering to. Therefore, and this is why we are still discussing your nonesense, he has no need to clarify anything. The problem is yours, not his. 

2009-2010 is quite good, Nin brought several 1st party/exclusive games to wii, especially from Japan, but most people only cared about Nintendo big franchises as always.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Vodacixi said:

If we are talking about Pokémon games that have monstruous sales and enough power to impact the sales of its console significantly (which is what we are doing here) then it's implied that we are talking about mainline Pokémon games even if they are not being called "mainline" Pokémon games. This is even more obvious given the fact that the other user was trying to diferentiate the Switch from Nintendo home consoles like the Wii. Since mainline Pokémon games have only appeared on handheld systems... If at that point you still need clarification about what kind of Pokémon games is he refering to, either you have serious comprehension problems or you are just playing dumb on purpouse just for the sake of being nitpicky and calling someone out.

it did because it had the huge casual market

Vodacixi said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

But that's not true, the Wii continued to have strong software releases through 2009 and 2010 that sold millions to tens of millions of copies. software sales continued to maintain around peak levels throughout this period. In fact, the sales arc of the Wii up until the end of 2010 is the healthiest of all Nintendo's home console releases - the NES only appears a little healthier due to it taking about 6 years to widely release it (until about 89/90 even in countries where it was released it was still only available in certain cities) but it mostly peaked in markets in its 1st-3rd year after wide release.

While some decline took place in those years, in fiscal 2011 software sales were 171.26 million which is around a 15% drop from fiscal 2009's peak, not even close to alarming. Hardware sales had declined to 15.08 million, which was steeper, but not particularly bad - especially since calendar 2008 for the Wii was literally insane. October to December 2009 marked the highest software and highest hardware sales Wii ever experienced, also the highest revenue Nintendo ever recorded. It's not until fiscal 2012 that you see a disturbing drop, and much of that was manufactured by Nintendo in preparation for the Wii U: cutting down Wii marketing significantly, cutting off VC releases, Nintendo channels saw much less support, and Nintendo's own software releases declined sharply.

In fiscal 2012, Wii software sales drop from 171.26 million down to 102.37 million, and hardware sales drop from 15.08 million down to 9.84 million. Relatively speaking, 9.84 million hardware and 102.37 software is no slouch as it is comparable with the very best years of the NES and SNES, and SIGNIFICANTLY better than most non-Wii years of any of Nintendo's home consoles); that's comparable to Wii U's lifetime sales of 100 million software and 13.5 million hardware.

The Switch hybrid model is probably the best thing Nintendo has come up with. Not only has it reversed the downward trend of the dedicated console market, but it has the benefits of home console and handheld sales patterns: higher software penetration and higher hardware sales. These two things work together to make the Switch somewhat viral, a person might buy the Switch as a handheld for themselves, but then can easily share it as a home console with everyone else in their household. While in that household, other people might buy Switches of their own to use as personal handhelds. It's a totally different dynamic than anything seen before in video gaming. Today, it has a good shot at becoming Nintendo's most successful console of all time including Wii and DS.

While its true the Switch has a lot of third party games on the console, many of them are in the smaller creative genres that are typically outside of the mainstream. These sorts of games really began to take off on the DS and Wii before finding their way into the Steam and iOS ecosystems. The industry has changed a lot since 2006; the Wii and DS had a lot to do with it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Vodacixi said:

But that's not true, the Wii continued to have strong software releases through 2009 and 2010 that sold millions to tens of millions of copies. software sales continued to maintain around peak levels throughout this period. In fact, the sales arc of the Wii up until the end of 2010 is the healthiest of all Nintendo's home console releases - the NES only appears a little healthier due to it taking about 6 years to widely release it (until about 89/90 even in countries where it was released it was still only available in certain cities) but it mostly peaked in markets in its 1st-3rd year after wide release.

While some decline took place in those years, in fiscal 2011 software sales were 171.26 million which is around a 15% drop from fiscal 2009's peak, not even close to alarming. Hardware sales had declined to 15.08 million, which was steeper, but not particularly bad - especially since calendar 2008 for the Wii was literally insane. October to December 2009 marked the highest software and highest hardware sales Wii ever experienced, also the highest revenue Nintendo ever recorded. It's not until fiscal 2012 that you see a disturbing drop, and much of that was manufactured by Nintendo in preparation for the Wii U: cutting down Wii marketing significantly, cutting off VC releases, Nintendo channels saw much less support, and Nintendo's own software releases declined sharply.

In fiscal 2012, Wii software sales drop from 171.26 million down to 102.37 million, and hardware sales drop from 15.08 million down to 9.84 million. Relatively speaking, 9.84 million hardware and 102.37 software is no slouch as it is comparable with the very best years of the NES and SNES, and SIGNIFICANTLY better than most non-Wii years of any of Nintendo's home consoles); that's comparable to Wii U's lifetime sales of 100 million software and 13.5 million hardware.

The Switch hybrid model is probably the best thing Nintendo has come up with. Not only has it reversed the downward trend of the dedicated console market, but it has the benefits of home console and handheld sales patterns: higher software penetration and higher hardware sales. These two things work together to make the Switch somewhat viral, a person might buy the Switch as a handheld for themselves, but then can easily share it as a home console with everyone else in their household. While in that household, other people might buy Switches of their own to use as personal handhelds. It's a totally different dynamic than anything seen before in video gaming. Today, it has a good shot at becoming Nintendo's most successful console of all time including Wii and DS.

While its true the Switch has a lot of third party games on the console, many of them are in the smaller creative genres that are typically outside of the mainstream. These sorts of games really began to take off on the DS and Wii before finding their way into the Steam and iOS ecosystems. The industry has changed a lot since 2006; the Wii and DS had a lot to do with it.

You can save all that chunk of text. I'm not interested. As I said, even if the other user is wrong about Wii software on that period, that's not what I was arguing with Hoang. What I pointed out to him and my only contribution to this thread, is that it's pretty obvious that in this context "Pokémon games" refer to the only Pokémon games that 1. The Wii never had but the Switch does have; and 2. Sell monstruous amounts of copies and push tons of consoles: Mainline Pokémon games. So trying to say that the other user needed to specify what kind of Pokémon games he was refering to is silly and dumb. That's all I said during this thread.

So I don't really care if the Wii had or hadn't strong software support. I never tried to debate that.

Around the Network
JimmyFantasy said:
Dear Nintendo, seeing the absolute success of the Switch and your current billionary earnings, could you please make me and others happy by releasing some of your hit games that are missing from the Switch lineup?

I'm referring to:
- Metroid (ok, it's in the making!)
- Star Fox Zero Deluxe (enhanced WiiU port)
- F-Zero (co-developed with SEGA)
- Kid Icarus Uprising 2
- Mario 2D

Switch has yet several years on the market, so, I'm counting on you! ;)

Lets extend that list. - Metroid (ok, it's in the making!) - Star Fox Zero Deluxe (enhanced WiiU port) - F-Zero (co-developed with SEGA) - Kid Icarus Uprising 2 - Mario 2D - Pikmin 4 - New Mario Sports Titles - Punchout - WAVE RACE!!!!!!!! -

我是广州人

Ring Fit Adventure also definitely has the potential to be a 10 million plus seller, if only Nintendo could actually supply the damn thing.

LatiosGames said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

it did because it had the huge casual market

Animal Crossing Switch also.

I have a question, if Ninty produces 30mil consoles this year somehow, do you think they'll sell all 30mil like they did with the DS?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

If they somehow shipped 35 million, they would sell 35 million. That’s how high demand is right now.