By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (Switch 61.44m, Animal Crossing 22.4m)

Marth said:
In other news:

Switch has now sold more software than 3DS has in its lifetime:
406M vs 384M

In less than 4 years! 500mil here we come! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

If you had told me 3 years ago that the biggest and fastest selling game on the Switch was going to be Animal Crossing... Over Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Pokemon Gen 8, and Breath of the Wild, I would never have believed you.

This is game is truly a phenomenon. I haven't seen a killer app of this magnitude since Wii Sports!

Same here. We saw many nintendo franchises breaking their own records on the Switch. But we have never seen something like what AC have pulled out. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Shaunodon said:

At this point, all possibilities should be on the table for Switch predictions. It just keeps defying logic. Who could've predicted Animal Crossing to become such a behemoth.

New and old IPs alike just keep breaking new ground on this system. I'm starting to wonder what the ceiling could be for Metroid Prime 4. Assuming it's the same quality as past games, I'm thinking 5mil+ is a fairly reasonable bar to clear already.

Love seeing more great Xenoblade numbers. So well deserved. Can't wait to see them unveil the new IP they're working on.

Yea its exciting knowing Metroid has a great shot of coming back in the main scene with the Switch. 

PAOerfulone said:
What really strikes me when looking at those Top 10 Best Selling Games for the Switch as much as the sales numbers, is just how varied it is.

- A life simulator.
- A kart racer.
- A crossover fighter.
- An open world, action-adventure.
- Two JRPGs.
- A 3D Platformer.
- A 2D Platformer.
- A Third Person Shooter.
- A party game.
- And a partridge in a pear tree!

There's something here for everyone!

The Switch starter pack. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Jranation said:
PAOerfulone said:

If you had told me 3 years ago that the biggest and fastest selling game on the Switch was going to be Animal Crossing... Over Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Pokemon Gen 8, and Breath of the Wild, I would never have believed you.

This is game is truly a phenomenon. I haven't seen a killer app of this magnitude since Wii Sports!

Same here. We saw many nintendo franchises breaking their own records on the Switch. But we have never seen something like what AC have pulled out. 

That's what makes this even more mind-blowing! It's not like these franchises are in a slump or anything. They're selling higher, bigger, and better than they ever have! But Animal Crossing just doesn't care.

Around the Network

Also, AC sold 7.15 millions in Japan alone, around 1 more and it's the best selling game of all time there.
Nuts. Never thought it would happen.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Marth said:
In other news:

Switch has now sold more software than 3DS has in its lifetime:
406M vs 384M

Switch has also now sold more software than the Gameboy Advance and SNES.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Sequels are only going to make the original games sell better. As if the legs on some of these games aren't strong enough. BOTW will likely receive a sales spike when BOTW2 comes out. Hopefully they see what the pokemon dlc does to sales and release mario party dlc cause that game is so stale.

Thats just gigantic and awesome. So much information to go through.

Xenoblade is a very nice surprise.