By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo quarterly sales update (Switch 61.44m, Animal Crossing 22.4m)

6.06M is easy.  That can be done in this current quarter alone if stock is sufficient.  JP is already doing its part.

Around the Network

Consider this for a moment: Animal crossing NH sold more copies in 3,5 months than any other game ever put out on a single PlayStation or Xbox console.

That's nuts.

Think for yourself, question authority

RolStoppable said:

Through the first 14 fiscal quarters:

Switch - 61.44m
PS4 - 60.0m
Wii - 70.93m

The PS4 reached 67.5m after 16 fiscal quarters - multiples of 4 are the best points for comparison because they give all consoles each quarter of the year the same amount of times - so Switch needs to ship 6.06m in the next two quarters to keep up; a piece of cake with one holiday quarter in there. The Wii was at 75.90m after 16 fiscal quarters, so Switch has a small chance to match that; it requires 14.46m in the next two quarters.

Right so it was the quarter PS4 usually surpassed the Switch. Well maybe it will happen again later on but i feel like Switch could take a pretty good lead when this year is over. If it manages to surpass the Wii after 16 fiscal quarters i will be on the floor. It is possible, Switch did like 10 millions last holiday right ? With some people unable to buy it rn and more stock available in that period, kids asking for AC, etc, i'm sure they can reach that number again. And next quarter should be in the 4-5 million range as well looking at the current sales in Japan.

In case no one has said this yet, 428% surge in profits.

Huge.

axumblade said:
I wish they'd reveal the data for all of their first party. IIRC, Luigi's Mansion was supposedly somewhere between 5-10 million. Just wanted to see where it fell.

I wish they would do this too, but I'm sure we'll get it eventually.  Luigi's Mansion is what I would call an A Tier Evergreen because I think it will ship more than 1 million units this fiscal year (and it isn't their launch year).  Pokemon, Mario Party, Splatoon and all the 2d/3d Mario platformers are all A Tier Evergreens, because they are all going to ship more than 1 million units this fiscal year (maybe even several million each).

On the other hand Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash, Zelda and RFA are S Tier Evergreens.  They are all shipping over 1 million units in a non-holiday, non-launch quarter, and will probably continue to sell impressive numbers for the rest of the Switch's life.  Switch has so many evergreens at this point, that they kind of need to be divided into two tiers.  Just shipping over 1 million per fiscal year on a system like the 3DS would be enough to be called evergreen before, but a few Switch titles have gone far beyond that.

Something else I would really like to know is which third party games shipped over 1 million this quarter.  Minecraft is one obvious candidate.  The other candidates would be games that charted on the NPD top 10 Switch games this quarter.

Just Dance 2020*
Trials of Mana
The Outer Worlds

Just Dance 2020 charted in the NPD top 10 all 3 months (for Switch).  I'd say that it definitely sold 1m+.  The other candidates are Minecraft, Trials of Mana and The Outer Worlds.  It might be any of those 3, but Minecraft is the most likely since it's an S Tier Evergreen itself.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
As some stated about us over estimating Switch sales. I thought we might have slightly overshot Switch sales. But nope. A lot of adjusting to do today for the Switch.

Yeah, every refresh is like NASDAQ numbers

trunkswd said:
I wish we got the breakdown by region, so I knew exactly where to make the adjustments.

Well, they did, didn't they ?

14,59 million in Japan

24,11 million in "The Americas"

16,04 million in Europe

6,70 million in rest of the world

"It's still up in the air whether the Switch will hit 100 Million Sold" LMAO

I'm sorry, I should know this already, but are digital sales included in the software numbers?

Nintendo haven't changed their financial forecast for this fiscal year (Switch 19.5 million units). This is not realistic, but I think they'd like to make investors happy with getting a 30 % plus of the forecast.

trunkswd said:
Adjustments done for now. We have sales at 60.44 million through July 4 and lifetime sales through July 25 are now at 61.72 million.

Based on the sales so far what do your highly sophisticated models predict sales to be for this fiscal year?