By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think 3D Mario HD Collection & 3D World Deluxe are big enough Holiday titles to help sell the Switch??

3D Mario Collection & 3D World Deluxe big enough Holiday titles?

Yes, as big as Smash, Mar... 8 17.78%

Yes, big but not as big a... 21 46.67%

No, it's good but not big... 12 26.67%

Not at all, mainly small 4 8.89%

Total:45

If it's literally a full remake with the Odyssey engine, yes, especially if they are all bundled for $60. If it's just the same visuals with some HD textures here and there or a resolution bump, no.

And if they do the HD Odyssey engine route and ADD some feature (s) like online leaderboards or online multiplayer or newpnew bosses, people will go nuts.

Around the Network

I don't see any of those titles selling nowhere as much as big AAA Switch games, the ones that are pulling ~20million plus

Switch current catalog is what is selling the console, not those games. Nobody buys a console to play remastered versions of old games

Assuming these games DO exist and DO come out by the end of the year...

We don't have that many Nintendo compilations to compare a Mario Collection with. That said, Kirby's Dream Collection on the Wii sold 0.69 million copies, about 40% as well as the previous year's Kirby title, Return to Dream Land, while Metroid Prime Trilogy sold 43% as well as Metroid Prime 3 did a few years earlier. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect a 3D Mario Collection to sell somewhere in the 30% to 50% of Odyssey range over its lifetime. That would equal 5 to 9 million copies lifetime, not exactly a bad total.

As for 3D World Deluxe, the best comparison would be with other Wii U titles on Switch. Some games like Mario Kart 8 sold way better on Switch than the Wii U, and even smaller games like New Super Mario Bros U, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pokken, etc. Only the rare oddball like Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors doesn't exceed Wii U sales, and even those were in part due to competition from the 3DS versions. So it's generally reasonable to expect 3D World Deluxe to sell in line with what it sold on the Wii U, 5 to 6 million copies.

Combined, that would be 10 to 15 million copies between the compilation and the port, assuming of course that the release of two 3D Mario titles doesn't cannibalize sales. Regardless, that WOULD be enough to push sales, but NOT on par with the big hits of 2017, 2018, and 2019.

Love and tolerate.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Nobody buys a console to play remastered versions of old games

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Not to mention how the best-selling games on the X1 and PS4 are Grand Theft Auto V.

Love and tolerate.

Or heck, Super Mario All-Stars? It's not exactly like Nintendo already doesn't have form in this area, even if that did have an added sweetener in the form of The Lost Levels.

Around the Network

Not as big as previous years, but big enough. We'll be frustrated that they are the big holiday titles. But the more casual player/consumer will likely eat them up with no complaints.
If these are real, I honestly think we'll get three releases. Super Mario 64/Super Mario Sunshine HD Collection, Super Mario Galaxy HD Collection, and Super Mario 3D World Deluxe. And Nintendo will charge $60 for all of them. There's virtually no way Nintendo would put more than 2 remastered 3D Mario games in one package for $60 or less.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Salnax said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
Nobody buys a console to play remastered versions of old games

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Not to mention how the best-selling games on the X1 and PS4 are Grand Theft Auto V.

Hardly old games in the strict meaning of the word. We are talking about a Nintendo 64 and Nintendo Game Cube games. Unless they really remake the game and not only re-release with fewer better assets/resolution I have no reason to believe they will pull out huge numbers 

I mean, it'll be big but I won't bite. I can't get myself excited about games I've already played for countless hours as a holiday title. If this truly is 3+ 3D Mario games in 1, then that's some great value for Nintendo but like I said as someone who has these games burned into their memory, it's probably not going to do much for me. Plus, I didn't really love 3D World as much as others. I think 3D Land is the better platformer. FIGHT ME...please don't though.

Edit: Now, if these were remakes and not remasters like the orignal Mario All Stars, I'd be all over this. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 04 August 2020

Remember Pikmin 4? It was close to completion in 2014.

IcaroRibeiro said:
I don't see any of those titles selling nowhere as much as big AAA Switch games, the ones that are pulling ~20million plus

Switch current catalog is what is selling the console, not those games. Nobody buys a console to play remastered versions of old games

Tell that to GTA V and Sony gamers