By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo killed off the Wii too early

Was the Wii killed off too early?

Yes 41 53.95%

No, Nintendo needed to move on 35 46.05%

Total:76

Honestly, the Wii's twilight years would've been so much better if we'd simply gotten proper global releases of Xenoblade in 2011 and The Last Story, Pandora's Tower and Fatal Frame 2 in 2012. That way it at least would've gone out on a semi-decent note.

Nintendo of America really screwed North American Wii owners.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 August 2020

Around the Network

No, 2012 was the right time for a successor. Maybe even too late. Should they have supported Wii better in end life? Sure.

They didnt have the resources to prepare for their successor, launch the 3DS and give the Wii a great final 2 years. Give the Wii 3 more flagship titles across 2011/2012 and you have something on par 1st party wise with every other year the Wii had. This could have achieved if they planned around it.

What could of helped is if they tried cross platform development across Wii/3DS

So you could have added:
Kid Icarus, New Super Mario Bros 2, Nintendogs + Cats & Star Fox 64 to the Wii's end life.

In retrospect if would have been better if Nintendo never released the Wii U, and kept supporting the Wii until the Switch was ready.

Another option would have been to do the Wii HD, make games with high and low res options. Unfortunately, the Gamepad on the Wii U made that impossible.

But software support wasn't the only blunder Nintendo made with the end of the Wii, it was shutting down marketing, shutting down support for the channels, shutting down virtual console releases, and really just leaving the thing afloat. The Wii U was only doing better than the Wii, commercially, for about a year and a half. Ubisoft supported the Wii until just last year, Mario Kart Wii is still selling copies to this day.

I was one of the 400 people who actually got the Wii U, but it very quickly pissed me off, and 90% of what I used it for was to play Wii games and Virtual console (mostly Wii Virtual console), the other 10% was Xenoblade Chronicles X and Trine 2, and a few hours of some Mario games.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

They didn't drop Wii too early. In fact they should have held back Skyward Sword to release on Wii U at launch. That would have perhaps given the platform a better start out of the blocks.

Most of the audience had abandoned Wii by 2010 so no

Around the Network

Two mistakes:
1) Not including Wii Motion Plus capabilities since the start made them scarcely supported when they arrived later, this prevented the SW growth towards games with more precise and realistic motion control.
But while some existing users and many decs started wanting something more, the vast majority of users was fine, and Wii was still growing strong.
2) Ninty had survived brilliantly that mistake, but for some unknown reasons, it left in Ninty execs brains the pang of dissatisfaction, until they suddenly decided they really HAD to kill Wii. Iwata himself, after announcing Wii U, but too long before its launch, started mentioning Wii with wording that implicitly, but clearly enough branded it as at that time almost a relic from the past, while at the same time, despite strong 3rd party support, Ninty started pulling the plug on 1st party. Wii sales, still strong, suddenly plummeted, and what's worse, too long before Wii U launched. Wii U beared the Wii brand, but by its launch that brand was already unrecoverably tarnished. By Ninty itself.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

PS2 for all its weakness could put 1080i on GT4.

GT4 isn't native 1080i, it's 632x448 upscaled to 1080i.

Cobretti2 said:
lack of motion controlled games killed it. Later years the game went to shit and went to more waggle mode. It is like developers decided to dump their code from older games for motion controls and mess it up with later ones lol

One of the best implemented from a third party was Godfather. Never understood why that didn't become the norm for sandbox style games. Even the early COD games, RE4 where fun. Huge disappointment when RE5 did not come with those control schemes. This is where a Wii HD version would have come in handy as Nintendo probably would have received the later COD games and RE5 etc.

The Wii did get the later COD games, they continued releasing for it every year until its replacement.

Sure it isn't, but it is just to say that weaker consoles than why could output to the TV resolutions over 480p.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Contrary to popular belief; the audience did not drop the platform due to a lack of software and support, it was rather Nintendo who choked support once the sales started plummeting. The Wii had an unusually steep decline, especially for a market leader, ending it when they did was not a mistake, in my opinion.

Jumpin said:

In retrospect if would have been better if Nintendo never released the Wii U, and kept supporting the Wii until the Switch was ready.

Another option would have been to do the Wii HD, make games with high and low res options. Unfortunately, the Gamepad on the Wii U made that impossible.

But software support wasn't the only blunder Nintendo made with the end of the Wii, it was shutting down marketing, shutting down support for the channels, shutting down virtual console releases, and really just leaving the thing afloat. The Wii U was only doing better than the Wii, commercially, for about a year and a half. Ubisoft supported the Wii until just last year, Mario Kart Wii is still selling copies to this day.

I was one of the 400 people who actually got the Wii U, but it very quickly pissed me off, and 90% of what I used it for was to play Wii games and Virtual console (mostly Wii Virtual console), the other 10% was Xenoblade Chronicles X and Trine 2, and a few hours of some Mario games.

Switch is the result of Wii U. Without Wii U there would be no Wii U. 

Xxain said:
Jumpin said:

Switch is the result of Wii U. Without Wii U there would be no Wii U. 

I agree that without WiiU there would be no WiiU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."