By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo killed off the Wii too early

Was the Wii killed off too early?

Yes 41 53.95%

No, Nintendo needed to move on 35 46.05%

Total:76

They did and I have to agree with some of the points, like Rol's, and that one stating they stopped investing in motion controls games, which was ridiculous. I have already written here how that and the general reactionary nature of the common gamer killed that which could have been a turning point in the history of entertainment, so I will not repeat myself.

Around the Network

The Wii was dead at the time. All the major 1st part system sellers were already out. The system was drowning in low quality 3rd party games and even those publisher realized the craze was over. The only thing they could have done was revive more IPs like F-Zero or Star Fox. A Wii HD would have been a decent strategy too. They should have held back Skyward Sword for the Wii U as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

farlaff said:
They did and I have to agree with some of the points, like Rol's, and that one stating they stopped investing in motion controls games, which was ridiculous. I have already written here how that and the general reactionary nature of the common gamer killed that which could have been a turning point in the history of entertainment, so I will not repeat myself.

Those damn pesky gamers! *shakes fist*

Can you link to your post explaining this, I'm curious how exactly we killed a turning point in history.

lack of motion controlled games killed it. Later years the game went to shit and went to more waggle mode. It is like developers decided to dump their code from older games for motion controls and mess it up with later ones lol

One of the best implemented from a third party was Godfather. Never understood why that didn't become the norm for sandbox style games. Even the early COD games, RE4 where fun. Huge disappointment when RE5 did not come with those control schemes. This is where a Wii HD version would have come in handy as Nintendo probably would have received the later COD games and RE5 etc.

I think they'd have been better off to ride out the Wii for one more year, and delay the Wii U until it could have been made a slightly better system. That giant gamepad needed to be half as bulky, and the system needed a few more horsepower. So, it's not so much that I think the Wii should have lived longer, but the Wii U should have been pushed out a year.

Around the Network

Yeah. But they weren't supporting it well in 2011 or 2012 anyway. I still think it was stupid to never make a version (whether a revision or just an updated SKU) with an HDMI port or at least release an adapter. The original Xbox supported HDMI in certain games for crying out loud.
I wonder if it would've helped Nintendo to release their Wii successor in 2013 with the specs of the docked Switch. Because the odds of them making a leap from Wii to Xbox One/PS4 graphics is a huge ask. Don't call it the Wii U and have the tablet be more of an optional accessory.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Cobretti2 said:
lack of motion controlled games killed it. Later years the game went to shit and went to more waggle mode. It is like developers decided to dump their code from older games for motion controls and mess it up with later ones lol

One of the best implemented from a third party was Godfather. Never understood why that didn't become the norm for sandbox style games. Even the early COD games, RE4 where fun. Huge disappointment when RE5 did not come with those control schemes. This is where a Wii HD version would have come in handy as Nintendo probably would have received the later COD games and RE5 etc.

Godfather, Scarface, and RE4 were (and still are) enormously fun to play on Wii.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Yes they dropped the SW support to soon, the HW itself I think was finished at about the right time

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wman1996 said:
Yeah. But they weren't supporting it well in 2011 or 2012 anyway. I still think it was stupid to never make a version (whether a revision or just an updated SKU) with an HDMI port or at least release an adapter. The original Xbox supported HDMI in certain games for crying out loud.
I wonder if it would've helped Nintendo to release their Wii successor in 2013 with the specs of the docked Switch. Because the odds of them making a leap from Wii to Xbox One/PS4 graphics is a huge ask. Don't call it the Wii U and have the tablet be more of an optional accessory.

PS2 for all its weakness could put 1080i on GT4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yes they did. From 2010 onwards the first party support was bad and the games that did come out were bad too. Metroid Other M, Kirby's Epic Yarn and Zelda Skyward Sword are, objectively, crappy games.