By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152
DonFerrari said:

By the logic that PSP needed to use generic cables that weren't sold together (ignoring that the hw and fw itself supported it) then now that some smartphones are sold without charger then it must mean they have infinite battery right?

It can`t be any more obvious that Switch is a handheld first and with some tweaks to make it easier to play on the tv or share multiplayer.

Yet the hardware and firmware DO support TV-play, and that's the difference.

But you even notice how rediculus your argumentation becomes?

By that logic, you, as a living being, do not exist, because the sperm and the ovum you originated from werent put together right from the start.

As long as the manufaturer intends the product to have feature xy, it doesnt matter if the components are sold seperately or together.

Just question yourself... what would the psp be, if sony would have decided to put out a bundle with both psp + component cable together.

And right next to it, there would be the psp alone. But both use the cable for tv-play, whether it is included or not.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Around the Network
GamingRabbit said:
DonFerrari said:

By the logic that PSP needed to use generic cables that weren't sold together (ignoring that the hw and fw itself supported it) then now that some smartphones are sold without charger then it must mean they have infinite battery right?

It can`t be any more obvious that Switch is a handheld first and with some tweaks to make it easier to play on the tv or share multiplayer.

By that logic, you, as a living being, do not exist, because the sperm and the ovum you originated from werent put together right from the start.

As long as the manufaturer intends the product to have feature xy, it doesnt matter if the components are sold seperately or together.

Just question yourself... what would the psp be, if sony would have decided to put out a bundle with both psp + component cable together.

And right next to it, there would be the psp alone. But both use the cable for tv-play, whether it is included or not.

I guess you didn`t notice I was agreeing. The switch doesn`t become anymore home console than PSP because the dock is in the same box =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

You are absolutely right, it is a stupid question. About as stupid as thinking in gens across companies that have nothing to do with each other.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

DonFerrari said:
GamingRabbit said:

I guess you didn`t notice I was agreeing. The switch doesn`t become anymore home console than PSP because the dock is in the same box =p

No I didnt notice.

Sorry, my bad.

I apparently understood something different than what you were trying to say.

But yes Switch has never been a home console. And since it's not, its a handheld.

Because Hybrid = Handheld + Home Console.

Remove the home console and we get

Hybrid - Home Console = Handheld.

And this is important: because the switch is a handheld, it must be put in that time line.

If we consider Nintendo to be the one who really started the handheld business, we have the

GB(C), GBA (SP), NDS (i), 3ds/2ds and now the Switch, which means the Switch is Nintendos 5th gen Handheld, and neither 8th nor 9th gen HC

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Shiken said:
Truthstation said:

8th generation

Wii U: 2012

PS4: 2013 

Xbox One: 2013

Mid-gen upgrades of 8th generation:

Switch: 2017

PS4 Slim / PS4 Pro: 2016

Xbox One S / Xbox One X: 2016/2017

Btw Wikipedia lists Switch as 8th generation too. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

Switch is not a mid gen upgrade, but an entirely new device with its own library.  Your logic is flawed.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and therefore is open to people who mistakenly call it gen 8 to state as much.  That does not make it fact.  The bigger factor is how long it competes with the PS5 and XSX.  If it stays on the market beyond 2023, there is no denying it as a 9th gen console with hybrid functions.  And with the way Switch is selling, don't expect a successor anytime soon.

Couple that with the fact that it replaced the actual gen 8 console, and it becomes all that more clear that Switch is part of gen 9.

By that scenario would dictate that the switch is a handheld. It is not affected by the current 8th gen consoles and wont be affected by the 9th gen either. Handhelds and consoles are on diferent cycles. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Is it running current 8th gen games?
Is it using 8th gen technology?
Is it competing against 8th gen consoles exclusively?
Sounds like an 8th gen duck to me.

It really depends if you think that Nintendo is still part of the greater gaming industry or if they're doing their own thing apart from everyone else. You cannot have it both ways so you choose.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Seems pretty pointless to speak of generations now, but it will be selling during the ninth gen against the PS5 and XSX so yeah.

vivster said:

Is it running current 8th gen games?
Is it using 8th gen technology?
Is it competing against 8th gen consoles exclusively?
Sounds like an 8th gen duck to me.

It really depends if you think that Nintendo is still part of the greater gaming industry or if they're doing their own thing apart from everyone else. You cannot have it both ways so you choose.

For me it is part of the 8th gen because of those aspects but still indirect competition (replacement product between it and PS/Xbox, doesn`t mater if primary or secondary system, but it doesn`t direct compete as there isn`t that many people that decides to skip PS/Xbox because of Switch and vice-versa, they were already decided on which side they preffered before hand).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Wman1996 said:
Switch is ninth generation. If it were a home console only, it would be the second eighth generation console for Nintendo. Basically like the Atari 2600 and Atari 5200 in the second generation and the Sega SG-1000 and Sega Master System in the third generation. Switch as a hybrid puts it in a different generation from the Wii U, and the fact that it is also a successor to the 3DS. The leap between the 3DS and Switch is staggering.
Even if Switch 2 launches in 2023, it'll likely just be an early tenth generation console.

To be honest though, the Atari 2600 and the Atari 5200 do not belong in the same generation.  And, at the time of the 5200's release, it was considered a 3rd generation console.  Advertising for the 5200 and Coleco's Colecovision clearly pronounced them as the first "Third Generation" systems.  I'm not sure exactly at what point someone decided to retroactively downgrade them in history.  But, it's probably because the North American Video Game Crash of 1983 was used to delineate the 82'-84' systems from the rise of the NES since they never directly competed with each other. 

Note this 1982 article from Electronic Games Magazine, whose title reads, "Third Wave Video Gaming Comes to Market" (referencing the ColecoVision and the 5200 as the start of the 3rd Generation):

Here's a comparison of Pac-Man on 2600 compared to the 5200 and Coleco Vision:

Here's Nintendo's Donkey Kong on the 2600 compared to the ColecoVision:

Edit - Fixed this sentence:  And, at the time of the 5200's release, it was not considered a 3rd generation console.

Last edited by Mandalore76 - on 03 August 2020

Mandalore76 said:
Wman1996 said:
Switch is ninth generation. If it were a home console only, it would be the second eighth generation console for Nintendo. Basically like the Atari 2600 and Atari 5200 in the second generation and the Sega SG-1000 and Sega Master System in the third generation. Switch as a hybrid puts it in a different generation from the Wii U, and the fact that it is also a successor to the 3DS. The leap between the 3DS and Switch is staggering.
Even if Switch 2 launches in 2023, it'll likely just be an early tenth generation console.

To be honest though, the Atari 2600 and the Atari 5200 do not belong in the same generation.  And, at the time of the 5200's release, it was not considered a 3rd generation console.  Advertising for the 5200 and Coleco's Colecovision clearly pronounced them as the first "Third Generation" systems.  I'm not sure exactly at what point someone decided to retroactively downgrade them in history.  But, it's probably because the North American Video Game Crash of 1983 was used to delineate the 82'-84' systems from the rise of the NES since they never directly competed with each other. 

Note this 1982 article from Electronic Games Magazine, whose title reads, "Third Wave Video Gaming Comes to Market" (referencing the ColecoVision and the 5200 as the start of the 3rd Generation):

Here's a comparison of Pac-Man on 2600 compared to the 5200 and Coleco Vision:

Here's Nintendo's Donkey Kong on the 2600 compared to the ColecoVision:

I actually didn't know that. It seems that the 5200 and ColecoVision were meant to be third generation, but history has not seen in that way. I don't think we'll ever get a consensus on whether Switch is eighth or ninth generation unless Nintendo says so. But with Atari, that would still mean they had two consoles in a generation even if you entertain that 5200 is third generation. Because there's no way you can argue Atari 7800 is fourth generation.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima