By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152

I always thought Switch was a mid-gen sub for WiiU, with the ladder being swept under the rug never to be acknowledged again.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
GamingRabbit said:
Shiken said:

Switch was the primary replacement for the WiiU.  It is a console with portability as a feature, deal with it.

Switch is a handheld with optional tv-play and belongs to the handheld generations.

Nintendo left the home console market with the switch.

Every heard of the saying "what you say is one thing, what you do is another" ?

Nintendo announced/promised a (pure) home console, advertised a hybrid, delivered a handheld.

It's the inabillity of people to properly differenciate between handheld/HC which lead to this pointless thread.

What you say is one thing, but what the vast majority of people use it for is another.  Every poll I have seen is showing more people playing docked with a pro controller, using it as a console (or both with docked being favored).  It has the ability to further downclock its performance to allow for portability as a feature.

Nintendo advertised a console with hybrid functionality, and delivered just that.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It's a hybrid. It can switch between generations. It also has a dock.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

GamingRabbit said:
d21lewis said:

So...is it an eighth gen or ninth gen handheld? It's definitely a quantum leap above the 3DS and Vita.

I'd say neither. As a Handheld it's Nintendo's 5th Generation.

If you keep handhelds seperate from home consoles you would get 5th gen.

If you want to consolidate both types of systems into 1 generation we would seriously have to consider PS5/XSX to be 10th gen.

Right now, the switch is a little bit less than 3.5 years old. And by the time PS5/XSX release it will be even older.

But you know what? The GBA released 21st of march 2001 and the NDS 21st of november 2004 -> 3.66 years apart.

Also the switch launched more than 3.66 years after PS4/XB1

So if 3.66 years are enough for a new generation (GBA -> DS), then Switch would be the first and only 9th gen system and

PS5/XSX would be Gen 10.

However, we COULD also presume that the PS4Pro is a Gen 9 system, because it is the only system to support VR,

thus giving it PS4pro "exclusives" in a way. It would become real' messy though.

So it's either Gen 5 (handheld time line) for switch, or gen 9 for switch with PS5/XSX being gen 10

Well baseline PS4 also supports PSVR.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Gens are a bad concept to use at this point. In fact really even in the past gens have been such a nebulous concept, to the point that for example Second generation seems to span 1976–1992, Third generation 1983–2003, Fourth generation 1987–2004. It doesn't really make any sense.

Normally we have compared consoles to consoles and handhelds to handhelds, and tried to lump gens by proximity and tech. Switch is a hybrid which cannibalizes both markets, which makes it hard to compare apples to apples.

Switch is going to fairly neatly fit half it's lifespan during the '8th gen' with PS4/XBONE and half is lifespan during the '9th' gen with PS5/XBX, yet be considered 9th gen?

Other than a few added bits of tech, granted really good tech, like ray tracing and SSD. PS5/XBX are going to be iterative at best and with the XBX at least will be 'backwards compatible', although really it's just maintaining the same kind of compatibility PC games have enjoyed for a long long time. PS5 could be the same. It's like another refresh, like PS4Pro and XBONE X. Unless Nintendo decides to gamble yet again and potentially pull another Wii U, why not just release a Switch New (Switch 2023-24) that is just a bump like the PS4Pro, and XBONE X, forever.

What happens further down the line when more and more of this stuff is in the cloud and all these games, perhaps not Nintendo, can be played on any device with the only restriction in fidelity being how good your internet and screen is?

If we are going to continue to compare devices to devices, lets just drop the gen moniker and compare as is. We currently compare PS4/XBONE/Switch as a group, even if many people consider Switch next gen. And when PS5/XBX release still compare with Switch as well. Focus on launch align trajectory, sales gaps, software attach, etc. Not whether they won a gen or not, but rather if they are winning the this weeks/months sales.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
GamingRabbit said:

Switch is a handheld with optional tv-play and belongs to the handheld generations.

Nintendo left the home console market with the switch.

Every heard of the saying "what you say is one thing, what you do is another" ?

Nintendo announced/promised a (pure) home console, advertised a hybrid, delivered a handheld.

It's the inabillity of people to properly differenciate between handheld/HC which lead to this pointless thread.

What you say is one thing, but what the vast majority of people use it for is another.  Every poll I have seen is showing more people playing docked with a pro controller, using it as a console (or both with docked being favored).  It has the ability to further downclock its performance to allow for portability as a feature.

Nintendo advertised a console with hybrid functionality, and delivered just that.

Yes nintendo avertised it as a hybrid, and that's where everyone fell for nintendos lies.

The clockspeeds are software based, and play no part in its definition. The switch can opperate just fine at max speed.

Nintendo could unlock for us them at any moment and the only thing changing would be the battery life.

Also what people use it for the most doesnt matter, if what they use it for is already included within the definition of a handheld.

Handhelds are portable systems. Portable systems are made to guarantee portable usabillity (aka independence)  not to prevent stationary use by definition.

Sure some portable devices may not offer a tv-out type of functionality but that doesnt matter, because they are allowed, but not obliged to provide it.

Portable systems, including handhelds as a specialized form, are defined as

o always offering portable use

o sometimes offering stationary use

Stationary systems are defined as

o always offering stationary use

o never offering portable use

I can see where Nintendo tricked you into believing it's a home console. Because both types have an intersection with stationary use.

But you can easily check what kind of system you have.

If you can "undock" the system, it's a portable device ( Laptop, Handheld, Smartphone, etc.),

if you cannot "undock" the system it's a stationary device (HC, PC, Server, etc.)

DroidKnight said:

The dock does not support the system in doing its core tasks (calculate, render, create, recieving inputs, etc.)

It's only function is to deliver power to the switch and forward the finished picture to the tv and thats nothing exclusive to a gaming system.

(Thus not affecting its definition)

It would take a second gpu/cpu/other core components inside the dock itself to make the switch a hybrid.

Because what all hybrids share is the necessity of having to have 2 or more core task specific sets of hardware.

Example: a hybrid car has both, an internal combustion engine and an electric motor,

because depending on the mode the car is in, it cannot use the other engine.

This does not apply to the switch. Switch uses the same hardware for both modes,

and using the same hardware for both modes is not a switch but a gear shift .

DonFerrari said:

It does? Then scratch that part.

I wasnt entirly sure whether base ps4 does or doesnt and rather than checking it I just assumed that it's just the Pro which does.

In that case, Switch would be the only 9th gen system.

Last edited by GamingRabbit - on 31 July 2020

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

PS4 and XB1 getting owned by the Wii-U is some hilarious revisionism.

I approve.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

DroidKnight said:

The dock does not support the system in doing its core tasks (calculate, render, create, recieving inputs, etc.)

It's only function is to deliver power to the switch and forward the finished picture to the tv and thats nothing exclusive to a gaming system.

It would take a second gpu/cpu/other core components inside the dock itself to make the switch a hybrid.

Because what all hybrids share is the necessity of having to have 2 or more core task specific sets of hardware.

Example: a hybrid car has both, an internal combustion engine and an electric motor,

This does not apply to the switch. Switch uses the same hardware for both modes,

Hybrid is a bullshit marketing term.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

GamingRabbit said:
Shiken said:

Yes nintendo avertised it as a hybrid, and that's where everyone fell for nintendos lies.

The clockspeeds are software based, and play no part in its definition. The switch can opperate just fine at max speed.

Nintendo could unlock for us them at any moment and the only thing changing would be the battery life.

Also what people use it for the most doesnt matter, if what they use it for is already included within the definition of a handheld.

Handhelds are portable systems. Portable systems are made to guarantee portable usabillity (aka independence)  not to prevent stationary use by definition.

Sure some portable devices may not offer a tv-out type of functionality but that doesnt matter, because they are allowed, but not obliged to provide it.

Portable systems, including handhelds as a specialized form, are defined as

o always offering portable use

o sometimes offering stationary use

Stationary systems are defined as

o always offering stationary use

o never offering portable use

I can see where Nintendo tricked you into believing it's a home console. Because both types have an intersection with stationary use.

But you can easily check what kind of system you have.

If you can "undock" the system, it's a portable device ( Laptop, Handheld, Smartphone, etc.),

if you cannot "undock" the system it's a stationary device (HC, PC, Server, etc.)

DroidKnight said:

DonFerrari said:

It does? Then scratch that part.

I wasnt entirly sure whether base ps4 does or doesnt and rather than checking it I just assumed that it's just the Pro which does.

In that case, Switch would be the only 9th gen system.

Sure pro have a much better run of VR and also have additional port to make it easier to use VR, but baseline PS4 can play VR.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

It doesnt matter what it is...it's going to fall of a cliff and sell negative numbers...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints