By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152
kirby007 said:
d21lewis said:

This. Certain articles are incomplete but on the whole, Wikipedia is pretty accurate.

i can edit on wikipedia =)

I HAVE THE POWA

I've edited it before, too. I added info about Talladega Nights (I put in the part about the MTV movie awards), the obscure 90s TV show "South Central" (made myself part of the cast), and added missing information about comic book artist Kyle Hotz.

After a short time, I was taken out of the South Central TV show. 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Shiken said:

Switch is not a mid gen upgrade, but an entirely new device with its own library.  Your logic is flawed.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and therefore is open to people who mistakenly call it gen 8 to state as much.  That does not make it fact.  The bigger factor is how long it competes with the PS5 and XSX.  If it stays on the market beyond 2023, there is no denying it as a 9th gen console with hybrid functions.  And with the way Switch is selling, don't expect a successor anytime soon.

Couple that with the fact that it replaced the actual gen 8 console, and it becomes all that more clear that Switch is part of gen 9.

Wikipedia cannot be willy-nilly edited to change it to whatever you desire... I always find it baffling how people are quick to throw out Wikipedia because it can be "edited". - It's more of a strength than a weakness, it means the information typically is always the most up to date.

And to make significant alterations you do need a thing called a "citation". Aka. Evidence to backup a claim... And often your evidence will get rebuked if a better piece of evidence gets presented.
Otherwise your alterations can and will be reverted or changed to something else.

Now wikipedia in this instance isn't providing a citation for it's assertion that it's an 8th gen console, but they do state that because the Switch's primary competitors are 8th gen consoles, that it's an 8th gen console.

The best use of Wikipedia usually aren`t the article but the sources you can check.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RolStoppable said:
Mandalore76 said:

To be honest though, the Atari 2600 and the Atari 5200 do not belong in the same generation.  And, at the time of the 5200's release, it was not considered a 3rd generation console.  Advertising for the 5200 and Coleco's Colecovision clearly pronounced them as the first "Third Generation" systems.  I'm not sure exactly at what point someone decided to retroactively downgrade them in history.  But, it's probably because the North American Video Game Crash of 1983 was used to delineate the 82'-84' systems from the rise of the NES since they never directly competed with each other. 

Note this 1982 article from Electronic Games Magazine, whose title reads, "Third Wave Video Gaming Comes to Market" (referencing the ColecoVision and the 5200 as the start of the 3rd Generation):

Here's a comparison of Pac-Man on 2600 compared to the 5200 and Coleco Vision:

Here's Nintendo's Donkey Kong on the 2600 compared to the ColecoVision:

This general consensus (which is blatantly wrong) is used as justification for the currently wrong consensus that Switch is eighth gen. "It has happened before that a console manufacturer has had two consoles in the same generation." Except it didn't. History was revised because the general consensus is arrived at by the gaming community, and the gaming community plays console wars. A generation without a winner doesn't fit the big picture and the actual third generation didn't have any winner. So the fourth generation NES became third generation while the third generation became a footnote of the second generation.

Other reasons for labeling Switch as eighth generation were based on mainly two big assumptions:

1. Switch is a Nintendo console, therefore it will have a short lifecycle, approximately replaced in 2021.
2. PS and Xbox consoles have much longer lifecycles, so the PS5 and Xbox 4 shouldn't be expected before 2021.

Put these two together and you run the risk of misalignment of generations, because the Switch successor would be 10th gen if Switch is gen 9 while the PS5 and Xbox 4 would be 9th gen. The generational model devised by the gaming community would be off by a full generation, so Switch had to be gen 8 to prevent that from happening. That's how it got put on Wikipedia that way. For those who don't know (apparently there are quite a few people here), Wikipedia is a user-generated website, so just about anyone can upload and edit articles.

But in the year 2020 it should be clear that both assumptions above were terribly wrong (expected, because the length of lifecycle theories were wrong to begin with). There's no risk of misalignment of generations anymore. Launches of consoles that belong into the same gen being spread out over three years is nothing odd in video game history, and with generations getting longer nowadays, Switch falls well within the acceptable range anyway.

One constant oddity in the generational debate has been the Dreamcast's classification as gen 6. Those who insist that Switch is gen 8 should also consider the Dreamcast gen 5, because pretty much everything they throw at Switch applies to the Dreamcast in more severe form. But over the course of the last three years, I've not seen a single guy who would put the Dreamcast into gen 5.

In any case, as time passes, things will get more interesting. If Switch continues to be put into gen 8, then Nintendo will eventually be the first company to undo a ~60m headstart of a competitor and Sony will be the shameful company who pissed away such a huge headstart. In that case, history will remember the PS4 as a loser.

It would only be considered a head start if the consoles had a similar start and end of their respective life cycles. However since the  life cycles are just shifted by a couple of years, but roughly the same length they would always be looked at launch aligned, anything else would be dishonest.

The PS4 might be considered a loser if Switch manages to catch it, but not because of a blown head start but simply because they sold slightly fewer units.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Dunno. Never thought about it actually.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Shiken said:

Which brings us back to the point that the curators of Wikipedia itself having the ability to be misinformed, just as anyone else.  The problem also lies with their logic.  If Switch is out another 3-4 years (which is VERY likely), then it would have competed against the PS5 and XSX for just as much time.  The bigger difference is that the WiiU was Nintendo's gen 8 console, so it would make more sense to group Switch within gen 9 under those conditions.  It just means Nintendo launched theirs 3 years before Sony or MS did.

So let me ask you this, would you consider the WiiU a gen 7 console for 1 year of its life, and a gen 8 console for 3.5 years of its life?  The concept is the same as it competed against the PS3 and 360 for that first year, but with the Switch's longer life cycle it would just be spread across a shorter range of time by comparison.

I mean if you really wanna break it up like that, I guess you could.  But it makes the concept of number generations even more convoluted than they already are.

I regard the WiiU as a 7th gen console due to it's technical underpinnings and game library.

I regard the Switch as an 8th gen console due to it's technical underpinnings and game library.

Whatever else is irrelevant to me.

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Wikipedia cannot be willy-nilly edited to change it to whatever you desire... I always find it baffling how people are quick to throw out Wikipedia because it can be "edited". - It's more of a strength than a weakness, it means the information typically is always the most up to date.

And to make significant alterations you do need a thing called a "citation". Aka. Evidence to backup a claim... And often your evidence will get rebuked if a better piece of evidence gets presented.
Otherwise your alterations can and will be reverted or changed to something else.

Now wikipedia in this instance isn't providing a citation for it's assertion that it's an 8th gen console, but they do state that because the Switch's primary competitors are 8th gen consoles, that it's an 8th gen console.

The best use of Wikipedia usually aren`t the article but the sources you can check.

Precisely. It's the evidence that is used to build the wikipedia articles.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

That's interesting because, if we were to follow the judgement of Wikipedia's authors, and if Nintendo was to release its next thing in 2025 or 2026 (obviously not likely but let's throw it in the air), that device would be 10th gen, because it would be closer to PS5 and SEX's successors than to PS5 and SEX themselves, meaning that Nintendo wouldn't have had a 9th gen machine. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Pemalite said:
Shiken said:

Which brings us back to the point that the curators of Wikipedia itself having the ability to be misinformed, just as anyone else.  The problem also lies with their logic.  If Switch is out another 3-4 years (which is VERY likely), then it would have competed against the PS5 and XSX for just as much time.  The bigger difference is that the WiiU was Nintendo's gen 8 console, so it would make more sense to group Switch within gen 9 under those conditions.  It just means Nintendo launched theirs 3 years before Sony or MS did.

So let me ask you this, would you consider the WiiU a gen 7 console for 1 year of its life, and a gen 8 console for 3.5 years of its life?  The concept is the same as it competed against the PS3 and 360 for that first year, but with the Switch's longer life cycle it would just be spread across a shorter range of time by comparison.

I mean if you really wanna break it up like that, I guess you could.  But it makes the concept of number generations even more convoluted than they already are.

I regard the WiiU as a 7th gen console due to it's technical underpinnings and game library.

I regard the Switch as an 8th gen console due to it's technical underpinnings and game library.

Whatever else is irrelevant to me.

DonFerrari said:

Precisely. It's the evidence that is used to build the wikipedia articles.

Generations are references to time, therefore technical limitations have nothing to do with it.  The majority of the WiiU's life was set in the 8th generation, and it is likely that the majority of the Switch's will be in the 9th generation.  If the Switch is cut short for whatever reason, I will eat crow but as it stands now it will be the Switch that not only succeeds the WiiU (8th gen) but also Nintendo's device on the market with the PS5 and XSX (9th gen).

Now you can say the definition of a generation does not matter to you, but then one would wonder why you are in a discussion about generations to begin with.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Yes it is. It succeeded the 8th gen Wii U and 3DS, therefore it is a 9th gen console, regardless of whether it released earlier than PS5 and XSX.

The Dreamcast launched in 1998, two years before the PS2 and three before Gamecube and Xbox, does it therefore belong to the 5th gen with the N64 and PSX? No, of course not. It succeeded the 5th gen Saturn, and is therefore a 6th gen console. Same applies for the Switch.

JWeinCom said:
I would suggest a better question is why does it matter?

It matters to me, because I think it helps make predictions and accurate analysis.  For example, I am predicting that PS5+Series X will sell significantly less than PS4+XB1.  Why?  Because I think a lot of those sales are going to the Switch instead.  It's competing with those systems, because they are in the same generation.  I am viewing generations as describing meaningful phenomena and not just an arbitrary way of categorizing things.

Now, if PS5+Series X sells about the same as PS4+XB1, then I will have to reevaluate my thinking.  That is just basic scientific reasoning.  But if my prediction is correct, then my view is the most logical explanation, that Switch is a Generation 9 system competing with the other Generation 9 systems.  Again, that is just basic scientific reasoning.

Nah. The Switch was Nintendo picking themselves up after the Wii U's failure and giving it another go. It was a late arrival to gen 8 the same way the Master System was in gen 3 after the failure of the SG-1000 (also a gen 3 console).

The prospect of calling the Switch a full fledged gen 9 console next to PS5 and XSX is a bit mental tbh. These new boxes do things even the PC currently doesn't and both have desktop class everything from CPU to GPU's. If you must pit the Switch directly against these gen 9 consoles as a console then it's going to look a bit silly.

It's competing in it's own space the same way all other Nintendo consoles have since the Wii. But i'd class it as a gen 8 system (if we insist it's a full fledged console and not a 3DS successor, which could then be called a gen 9 handheld).