By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152

So I feel like it's just easier to make a thread for this, since it's a bigger discussion.

I think this is a stupid question, and feels like people like to not include Nintendo whenever gens are brought up, be it in sales, exclusive games and whatnot, as if they don't exist.

The question is at it stands in the title. It's about time, at least until the PS5 and Series X launches, to decide the stance of this forum on the matter: When the PS5 and Series X finally launches, will the Switch be considered as 9th gen, or be part of the "hybrid industry", as if it's a separate entity?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

the better question is, is it a console at all?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Could be controversial opinion but I think Nintendo's dedicated console cycles ended with the wiiU. The switch is something else and really, it's on it's own cycle that is outside of PS/Xbox.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I mean by release the start of the eighth gen was the Wii U in 2012, with PS4 and X1 following in 2013. The switch released 5 years after the start of the generation (4.5 if you count wii u or 6 if you count 3ds as the start, but i went in the middle) this would suggest it would fit just fine in the ninth generation, even if its competition didn't start till 3.5 years after it. If I'm not mistaken the Turbografx-16 was released about 3 years before the SNES and both are apart of the 4th generation. Also the 3DO and Saturn were released during the SNES's hayday, but are fifth generation consoles. While these consoles are technically more advanced, being 32 bit I believe, this shows that generations can start while another console from a previous generation is in its best years. Granted my arguments can be used to argue both sides so this was a waste of text.

Captain_Yuri said:
Could be controversial opinion but I think Nintendo's dedicated console cycles ended with the wiiU. The switch is something else and really, it's on it's own cycle that is outside of PS/Xbox.

I think so as well.

The Switch isn't a normal traditional console. In the way that its a whole new product and not directly comparable other consoles like the PS4 or Xbox One. Moreover, its is a current gen console and will remain a current gen when the PS5 and Xbox Series X launch.

The Switch a first of its kind for a Nintendo console; its a hybrid of portable and home console. They could continue releasing more Switches, and successors i.e. 2 and 3. regardless of what Sony or Microsoft is doing.

Last edited by hinch - on 30 July 2020

Around the Network

It's the first generation Nintendo hybrid system. Really doesn't belong in any traditional console cycle.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Captain_Yuri said:

I don't see your view being controversial at all. my only issue would be that being out of cycle predated the Switch and the debate on Switch's identity is different from what gen switch may or may not belong to, in many ways breaking the cycle benefits their strategy. 

Last edited by mjk45 - on 30 July 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Leynos said:
It's the first generation Nintendo hybrid system. Really doesn't belong in any traditional console cycle.

Wrong tab.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The Switch's hardware feature set is aligned with the 8th gen consoles, so I would not lump it with the 9th gen because of that.

In terms of successive releases it is 9th gen... As it succeeds the 8th gen WiiU and 3DS devices.

But the real question is... Why does it matter?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

COKTOE said:
Leynos said:

Wrong tab.

Sorry person who immediately liked this and will remain anonymous. I don't have the energy.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."