By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152

Switch is in the current gen just like PS4 and XB1.
But soon the current gen will be Switch Ps4 and XSX.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Some may ask, "Why is this question important?"  It's importance depends on how you define generation.  If generation is based on a systems power and specs then it's not an important question, because it's obvious which systems have similar specs.  On the other hand if you define generation by which systems are competing, then it is an important question.

The PS5 will launch later this year, and then both the PS5 and PS4 will be on the market at the same time.  Will these systems be competing?  No, not really.  They are not in the same generation.  A PS5 customer next year will want to play the latest games at home, the games showed off at Sony's recent presentation.  A PS4 customer next year will be looking for a home system that is a value, a cheap system with a huge library of older games.  Even though they are both home systems, they aren't competing because they are in different generations.  PS4 was competing with the Wii U though.  Those systems were in the same generation.

So the key question is, "Will the PS5 be competing with the Switch?"  A person who wants to play the lastest games at home might buy the PS5.  This same person also might buy a Switch.  Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Pokemon Sw/Sh, and Smash Bros Ultimate are also the latest games.  You can play all of these games by hooking your Switch up to a TV.  The two systems will be competing, because they are both the latest home system.  Sure, Switch is portable too, but Switch can easily appeal to someone who only wants to play a home system.  Since both PS5 and Switch will be the latest home systems, then they will be competing.

I think what is throwing people is that the Switch seems so different.  Several years ago a person might have said, "Blockbuster and Netflix aren't competing because they are just so different.  Netflix isn't even a store.  It just rents movies through the mail.  Blockbuster is in the video store market, and Netflix is in the video by mail market."  Fast forward a few years and it's R.I.P. Blockbuster.  They were always competing, because what customers wanted was to watch videos at home.  Both were providing this same service, but they approached it in very different ways.

Switch and PS5 are both going to be the latest home console system for their respective companies.  They both are making an appeal to home console gamers, but they are coming at it from two very different ways.  Customers are still going to see them as fulfilling the same role, just like they saw Blockbuster and Netflix as fulfilling the same role.

Because Switch and PS5 are the latest home systems for their two respective companies, they are in the same generation.

"Will the PS5 be competing with the Switch?"

They dont.
They arnt competeing over the same things.

Do you want to play the latest big budget multiplat AAA game?

Do you pick the Switch or the PS5 for that?
The answear is only one of them can do that.

Do I want to play the latest Animal crossing?
The answear is only one of the system has that game.

Do they compete for sales?
They sell to differnt people, segments, and theres alot of cross over.
Alot of people that own a switch, get a 2nd console, so they dont miss out on bigger budget games.
(and people buy a switch for the nintendo exclusives)

Answear "Will the Switch be competing with the PS4/XB1?"

Yes it did so, for ~4 yerars.

Bad logic for why its 9th gen from you imo.

"Some may ask, "Why is this question important?" It's importance depends on how you define generation. If generation is based on a systems power and specs then it's not an important question, because it's obvious which systems have similar specs. On the other hand if you define generation by which systems are competing, then it is an important question."

also this is flawed.
Theres more to generations than just these 2 things.

Its not just how new the technology is, how powerfull the system is.

Its stuff like....  can this system, play games from this generation?

Like will the Switch be able to play next gen, multiplats?

a 9th gen AAA mutliplat... say Cyberpunk 2077, ect.

Will the Switch be able to do that?

Can a system belong to a newer gen, if it cannot play games from that generation?
my answear is no.

If the hardware holds you back, to the point where you cannot play current (next) gen games, then it doesnt belong to said generation.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 31 July 2020

Leynos said:
It's the first generation Nintendo hybrid system. Really doesn't belong in any traditional console cycle.

I agree with the switch not belonging into the home console cycle.

But that's because Switch is a handheld.

TVplay =/= home console.

JRPGfan said:

They dont.

They do.

They compete for the same thing (money) from the same demographic (hobby gamer)

You compear 3rd party games vs. 1st party games.

The same can be said about Sonys own games, but they still compete with each other, because they do the same for

most part

(...)
Last edited by GamingRabbit - on 31 July 2020

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Intrinsic said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Noo. When ps5 launches switch will be alnost 4years? So 4 years into a older genn means its next genn?

Also switch is a hybrid,its both console and handheld some people should stop saying its not.

So... if or when you can play your PS5/XSX games on your mobile phone while away from home as long as you have an internet connection, does that make them hybrids too?

And what would you call the Switch Lite, a hybrid? How? And what happens if a year from now Nintendo removes their software lock on it and releases a cable that allows you to connect the switch lite to a TV?

The switch is handheld. That can also happen to be connected to a TV. Calling it a hybrid is like Callin a galaxy phone a hybrid because it has Dex. Or calling a laptop a desktop/hybrid because you can connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable.

Why IS it a handheld, because every single witch console comes with all you need to game on the go with it in your hands. You DO NOT NEED a TV at any point in time to get the switch working or gaming.

I guess you can call it a hybrid because you can "choose" to use it while tethered to a TV. But in truth that's more a QoL feature than something that is contingent to being able to use the Switch. I'll say again, the Switch Lite is physical proof that the Switch is a handheld. There is no need for new made-up names or qualifiers, there are a lot of things out there that can do more than one thing, but if you look closely (hell not even closely just look honestly) you can clearly see what that thing really is or what its primarily designed to do.

Its like everyone just forgot that even the PSP had AV cables too that allowed connect it to your TV. Does that make t a hybrid too?

This is silly, ofcourse is the switch lite not a hybrid, the av cables for the psp tou had to buy  put of the box the switch is both  console  and handheld,i only use my switch as a console.

but ofcourse you know it better then nintendo. 

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

xl-klaudkil said:
Intrinsic said:

So... if or when you can play your PS5/XSX games on your mobile phone while away from home as long as you have an internet connection, does that make them hybrids too?

And what would you call the Switch Lite, a hybrid? How? And what happens if a year from now Nintendo removes their software lock on it and releases a cable that allows you to connect the switch lite to a TV?

The switch is handheld. That can also happen to be connected to a TV. Calling it a hybrid is like Callin a galaxy phone a hybrid because it has Dex. Or calling a laptop a desktop/hybrid because you can connect it to your TV using an HDMI cable.

Why IS it a handheld, because every single witch console comes with all you need to game on the go with it in your hands. You DO NOT NEED a TV at any point in time to get the switch working or gaming.

I guess you can call it a hybrid because you can "choose" to use it while tethered to a TV. But in truth that's more a QoL feature than something that is contingent to being able to use the Switch. I'll say again, the Switch Lite is physical proof that the Switch is a handheld. There is no need for new made-up names or qualifiers, there are a lot of things out there that can do more than one thing, but if you look closely (hell not even closely just look honestly) you can clearly see what that thing really is or what its primarily designed to do.

Its like everyone just forgot that even the PSP had AV cables too that allowed connect it to your TV. Does that make t a hybrid too?

This is silly, ofcourse is the switch lite not a hybrid, the av cables for the psp tou had to buy  put of the box the switch is both  console  and handheld,i only use my switch as a console.

but ofcourse you know it better then nintendo. 

You can decide to use your laptop only when it is connected to an external displaying unit if you wish, but that doesnt make it a stationary PC.

You can use your fingers to dig a hole, yet you dont have 5 shovels attached to your hand.

That means, just because A CAN be used in a way that B can be used, doesnt make A = B.

(Example: f(x) = x² and f(x) = x produce the same y at x = 1, but they are still different functions)

Nintendo can say many things if the day is long, but they dont have to tell the truth.

The hybrid thing is just a marketing thing, nothing more.

The PSP is a valid point, because it was intended by the manufacturer that it is able to be used that way.

Whether the cable is included right from the start or not doesnt matter.

For dedicaded gaming devices the following goes:

Handheld: must be usable in a portable contect, may be usable in a stationary context

Home console: must be usable in a stationary contect, must not be usable in a portable contect.

--------------

Lets turn things around, shall we?

Can you prove, why the switch is a hybrid?

And no, Nintendo saying so doesnt count.

And TV-play doesnt count either because both stationary and portable systems are allowed to do that without them changing their definition.

Do it based on the hardware inside the switch itself.

Nintendo Switch:

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Some may ask, "Why is this question important?"  It's importance depends on how you define generation.  If generation is based on a systems power and specs then it's not an important question, because it's obvious which systems have similar specs.  On the other hand if you define generation by which systems are competing, then it is an important question.

The PS5 will launch later this year, and then both the PS5 and PS4 will be on the market at the same time.  Will these systems be competing?  No, not really.  They are not in the same generation.  A PS5 customer next year will want to play the latest games at home, the games showed off at Sony's recent presentation.  A PS4 customer next year will be looking for a home system that is a value, a cheap system with a huge library of older games.  Even though they are both home systems, they aren't competing because they are in different generations.  PS4 was competing with the Wii U though.  Those systems were in the same generation.

So the key question is, "Will the PS5 be competing with the Switch?"  A person who wants to play the lastest games at home might buy the PS5.  This same person also might buy a Switch.  Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Pokemon Sw/Sh, and Smash Bros Ultimate are also the latest games.  You can play all of these games by hooking your Switch up to a TV.  The two systems will be competing, because they are both the latest home system.  Sure, Switch is portable too, but Switch can easily appeal to someone who only wants to play a home system.  Since both PS5 and Switch will be the latest home systems, then they will be competing.

I think what is throwing people is that the Switch seems so different.  Several years ago a person might have said, "Blockbuster and Netflix aren't competing because they are just so different.  Netflix isn't even a store.  It just rents movies through the mail.  Blockbuster is in the video store market, and Netflix is in the video by mail market."  Fast forward a few years and it's R.I.P. Blockbuster.  They were always competing, because what customers wanted was to watch videos at home.  Both were providing this same service, but they approached it in very different ways.

Switch and PS5 are both going to be the latest home console system for their respective companies.  They both are making an appeal to home console gamers, but they are coming at it from two very different ways.  Customers are still going to see them as fulfilling the same role, just like they saw Blockbuster and Netflix as fulfilling the same role.

Because Switch and PS5 are the latest home systems for their two respective companies, they are in the same generation.

They dont.

Do they compete for sales?
They sell to differnt people, segments, and theres alot of cross over.
Alot of people that own a switch, get a 2nd console, so they dont miss out on bigger budget games.
(and people buy a switch for the nintendo exclusives)

Answear "Will the Switch be competing with the PS4/XB1?"

Yes it did so, for ~4 yerars.

Bad logic for why its 9th gen from you imo.

"Some may ask, "Why is this question important?" It's importance depends on how you define generation. If generation is based on a systems power and specs then it's not an important question, because it's obvious which systems have similar specs. On the other hand if you define generation by which systems are competing, then it is an important question."

also this is flawed.
Theres more to generations than just these 2 things.

Its not just how new the technology is, how powerfull the system is.

Its stuff like....  can this system, play games from this generation?

Like will the Switch be able to play next gen, multiplats?

a 9th gen AAA mutliplat... say Cyberpunk 2077, ect.

Will the Switch be able to do that?

Can a system belong to a newer gen, if it cannot play games from that generation?
my answear is no.

If the hardware holds you back, to the point where you cannot play current (next) gen games, then it doesnt belong to said generation.

How come they aren't compreting over the same things? How can someone even remotely reach this conclusion. They are both gaming consoles...

I'll borrow a quote from The_Liquid_Laser:

"I think what is throwing people is that the Switch seems so different.  Several years ago a person might have said, "Blockbuster and Netflix aren't competing because they are just so different.  Netflix isn't even a store.  It just rents movies through the mail.  Blockbuster is in the video store market, and Netflix is in the video by mail market."  Fast forward a few years and it's R.I.P. Blockbuster.  They were always competing, because what customers wanted was to watch videos at home.  Both were providing this same service, but they approached it in very different ways.

Switch and PS5 are both going to be the latest home console system for their respective companies.  They both are making an appeal to home console gamers, but they are coming at it from two very different ways.  Customers are still going to see them as fulfilling the same role, just like they saw Blockbuster and Netflix as fulfilling the same role."

I'll even add one more thing: People's money is finite. And we are heading into a big economic recession. Hell we are already here. When you go out in a store and have a choice to buy a console with a game with wide appeal( Mario Kart 8) for 300 dolars, and a console(with arguably better graphics) for 400 - 500 dollars, is the moment Nintendo is competing with Sony and MS.With all due respect, but saying that game consoles, be them hybrid, home consoles or hybrids, are not competing because they have slightly different approaches on how you play them, but people still have to choose in whom to spend their money on(since they are all about games) is stupid.

And power don't define a generation. If that were true, then the Wii shouldn't be a 7th gen console by this definition. And everyone consider it as such. What I'm saying is that defining a generation by power alone is an old concept that shouldn't be applied anymore, because gaming as a whole has evolved. I mean, there are already people out there saying that there are alot of 8th gen games that looked better than the 9th gen games that were showcased. In this sense, would the power jump of the PS5 and Series X justify a generation leap, according to your definition, and thus be 9th gen? If anything, what will define the PS5 and Series X as new consoles are the other features outside of graphics, sucha s the fast SSD and better sound system, rather than graphics itself, because Sony and MS realized that the graphics aren't going to get much better than that.

Just saying that things are changing, and history will confirm this, like history has proven that the Switch is a hybrid, and not a handheld.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

JRPGfan said:

They dont.

[...]

This is a description of competition.  People want to play games on a home system.  Some will prefer the system with AAA multiplats and choose PS5.  Others will prefer the system with Animal Crossing and choose Switch.  That's competition.

Barkley said:

[...]
- If Switch successor launches before August 2024 than more of the Switch's life as the most recent console will be alongside ps4/xbo rather than ps5/xsx.

This whole debate will blow over in a few years anyway, and history will remember the Switch as an 8th gen console. It already says as such on Wikipedia. Generel consensus is what matters, and on a forum such as this there's always going to be a larger amount of people viewing it as part of this new generation than there is in the general public. Yet even here of all places the poll is split.

Do this same poll in a few more years and I guarantee "no" would be the overwhelming winner.

Do you think people in the public are really thinking that the 3.5 year old Switch is part of the "next generation!" that all the mainstream news outlets they read are talking about?

10 years from now Switch will be remembered alongside PS4/XBO becuase when your average joe gamer thinks about the next generation right now, they are absolutley not thinking about the Switch being part of that.

I don't know how to say this, so I'm just going to break it to you.  Your analysis of the Switch has been incredibly poor.  I mean, it's obvious you study the numbers, but you don't come to conclusions that are remotely true.  A couple of years ago you told me Mario Kart 8 would sell 25m tops.  It's basically already sold that and it's still going strong.  You were wildly wrong, and you haven't adjusted your assumptions at all.  That is poor analysis.

Also, the general consensus does matter, but not the internet consensus.  What people say on the internet will not determine the generation.  What will?  Sales.  That will answer the question once and for all.  In the end we can study PS5+Series X sales.  If they end up to be a similar total to PS4+XB1 sales, then I will have to concede that I was wrong, and Switch was not a Generation 9 system.  On the other hand if PS5+Series X sales take a significant dip compared to PS4+XB1, then you are wrong, and Switch is a Generation 9 system.  It all has to do with competition and that will easy to determine during the next few years.  Either the systems launching this year will sell like the previous gen or they won't and that will determine who is right.

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

WiiU, PS3 and Xbox 360 were the latest home systems from their respective companies in 2012, they were not in the same generation.

Switch will be about 3.7 years old when PS5/XSX launch. Are we to say Switch had zero contemparies for it's first 3.7 years? Nah.

- Number of games shared between Switch and PS4/XBO will be higher than PS5/XSX.

- Launch date of Switch is closer to PS4/XBO than PS5/XSX.

- Power is closer to PS4/XBO than PS5/XSX.

- If Switch successor launches before August 2024 than more of the Switch's life as the most recent console will be alongside ps4/xbo rather than ps5/xsx.

This whole debate will blow over in a few years anyway, and history will remember the Switch as an 8th gen console. It already says as such on Wikipedia. Generel consensus is what matters, and on a forum such as this there's always going to be a larger amount of people viewing it as part of this new generation than there is in the general public. Yet even here of all places the poll is split.

Do this same poll in a few more years and I guarantee "no" would be the overwhelming winner.

Do you think people in the public are really thinking that the 3.5 year old Switch is part of the "next generation!" that all the mainstream news outlets they read are talking about?

10 years from now Switch will be remembered alongside PS4/XBO becuase when your average joe gamer thinks about the next generation right now, they are absolutley not thinking about the Switch being part of that.

Damn, you make good points.

Yes because it succeeds a 8th gen platform.

Barkley said:

(...) Generel consensus is what matters (...)

Does it really?

Do you remember Colin Powell speech as to why the US and UK went to war against the Irak?

The reasons he stated were the "general consensus" for many years why it was right to invade that country, until

all off them were proven false (and admitted as such by the involved parties)

What we can take from that is that just because something is general consensus it doesnt mean it's right.

General consensus doesnt work as a basis for an argument.

Nintendo Switch: