By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?

With Sony and MS releasing new hardware, will Switch be considered as 9th gen?

Yes 79 51.97%

No 73 48.03%

Total:152

I would suggest a better question is why does it matter?

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Truthstation said:

8th generation

Wii U: 2012

PS4: 2013 

Xbox One: 2013

Mid-gen upgrades of 8th generation:

Switch: 2017

PS4 Slim / PS4 Pro: 2016

Xbox One S / Xbox One X: 2016/2017

Btw Wikipedia lists Switch as 8th generation too. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eighth_generation_of_video_game_consoles

Switch is not a mid gen upgrade, but an entirely new device with its own library.  Your logic is flawed.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and therefore is open to people who mistakenly call it gen 8 to state as much.  That does not make it fact.  The bigger factor is how long it competes with the PS5 and XSX.  If it stays on the market beyond 2023, there is no denying it as a 9th gen console with hybrid functions.  And with the way Switch is selling, don't expect a successor anytime soon.

Couple that with the fact that it replaced the actual gen 8 console, and it becomes all that more clear that Switch is part of gen 9.

My point was:
Wii U competed with the PS4 & Xbox One.
Switch competed with the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X.

The argument that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone doesn't mean that the given information are wrong. Everything gets constantly checked.

Truthstation said:
Shiken said:

Switch is not a mid gen upgrade, but an entirely new device with its own library.  Your logic is flawed.

Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, and therefore is open to people who mistakenly call it gen 8 to state as much.  That does not make it fact.  The bigger factor is how long it competes with the PS5 and XSX.  If it stays on the market beyond 2023, there is no denying it as a 9th gen console with hybrid functions.  And with the way Switch is selling, don't expect a successor anytime soon.

Couple that with the fact that it replaced the actual gen 8 console, and it becomes all that more clear that Switch is part of gen 9.

My point was:

The argument that Wikipedia can be edited by anyone doesn't mean that the given information are wrong. Everything gets constantly checked.

This. Certain articles are incomplete but on the whole, Wikipedia is pretty accurate.

Truthstation said:
Shiken said:

My point was:

My point is:

PS4 Pro and X1X are just beefed up versions of the same PS4 and X1.  The Switch is a completely different device independent of the WiiU, and therefore Nintendo's next gen console.

As for wikipedia, I guess the people constantly checking it are just as capable of being misinformed as anyone else.

Last edited by Shiken - on 31 July 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

d21lewis said:
Truthstation said:

My point was:

This. Certain articles are incomplete but on the whole, Wikipedia is pretty accurate.

i can edit on wikipedia =)

I HAVE THE POWA

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Lol. Wow. That's quite the split in votes.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

aikohualda said:
Rab said:
Why is this important?

easier to study time line...

History have this all over their subject. For example instead of studying the whole hominin timeline... they divided it to miocene, pliocene, pleistocene.... gaming industry is being studied and will just keep on expanding. By having a defined timeline, it would be easier for people who read gaming history based on separate timeline.

But arbitrarily lumping of unrelated consoles together from different companies just seems a waste of time, proof is how many people argue over this constantly, as it's not clear and intuitive at all, but hugely subjective, just a waste of time and angst, people should be pursuing more meaningful discourse     

Shiken said:

Wikipedia cannot be willy-nilly edited to change it to whatever you desire... I always find it baffling how people are quick to throw out Wikipedia because it can be "edited". - It's more of a strength than a weakness, it means the information typically is always the most up to date.

And to make significant alterations you do need a thing called a "citation". Aka. Evidence to backup a claim... And often your evidence will get rebuked if a better piece of evidence gets presented.
Otherwise your alterations can and will be reverted or changed to something else.

Now wikipedia in this instance isn't providing a citation for it's assertion that it's an 8th gen console, but they do state that because the Switch's primary competitors are 8th gen consoles, that it's an 8th gen console.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Nintendo consoles now only have generations in relation to their own products , since they have the most self contained ecosystem of the three,following their own schedule was a natural outcome , we have had differing release dates before the only difference is it's now pronounced but it doesn't mean much. we will still see the currently available consoles and their sales graph on the main page, sure some historians and others who use it as a framework when collating data over time but they will use whatever suits them, but imo for the rest it's better left in the past.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 31 July 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pemalite said:
Shiken said:

Wikipedia cannot be willy-nilly edited to change it to whatever you desire... I always find it baffling how people are quick to throw out Wikipedia because it can be "edited". - It's more of a strength than a weakness, it means the information typically is always the most up to date.

And to make significant alterations you do need a thing called a "citation". Aka. Evidence to backup a claim... And often your evidence will get rebuked if a better piece of evidence gets presented.
Otherwise your alterations can and will be reverted or changed to something else.

Now wikipedia in this instance isn't providing a citation for it's assertion that it's an 8th gen console, but they do state that because the Switch's primary competitors are 8th gen consoles, that it's an 8th gen console.

Which brings us back to the point that the curators of Wikipedia itself having the ability to be misinformed, just as anyone else.  The problem also lies with their logic.  If Switch is out another 3-4 years (which is VERY likely), then it would have competed against the PS5 and XSX for just as much time.  The bigger difference is that the WiiU was Nintendo's gen 8 console, so it would make more sense to group Switch within gen 9 under those conditions.  It just means Nintendo launched theirs 3 years before Sony or MS did.

So let me ask you this, would you consider the WiiU a gen 7 console for 1 year of its life, and a gen 8 console for 3.5 years of its life?  The concept is the same as it competed against the PS3 and 360 for that first year, but with the Switch's longer life cycle it would just be spread across a shorter range of time by comparison.

I mean if you really wanna break it up like that, I guess you could.  But it makes the concept of number generations even more convoluted than they already are.

Last edited by Shiken - on 01 August 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261