By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS5 repeat the success of the PS4, and achieve 50 % marketshare?

Will PS5 achieve 50% marketshare?

Yes 30 26.55%

No 64 56.64%

Maybe 14 12.39%

I'll have what you're smoking. 5 4.42%

Total:113
DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

I'm not sure what the sales for sea of thieves is, but it had over 10 million users last year. Not to mention this is probably sea of thieves best year by far. With that being said, sea of theives is probably rare's most popular game that they ever created.

Having 10M people played the game hardly configures as Rare`s most successful IP. Let`s see if in 30 years the game will be remembered as DKC is still remembered, or as GoldenEye is still legendary, etc. I would say it is more likely it will be forgeted in a much shorter time. Also DKC, GoldenEye and other Rare classic games were the best when they launched, high critical acclaim, marvelous technical achievements, etc. That can`t be said to Sea of Thieves not even today and much less on its launch.

sales2099 said:

Not sure about Donkey Kong but Goldeneye sold about 8 million? God these ancient sales stats are hard to come by. Pretty sure there was a tweet that confirmed this. No way Donkey Kong Country had over 15 million players. 

SNES sold about 60M HW, at a time a lot of people used to go to friends house to play, you can bet it had a lot more people that played DKC than the sales numbers show, even if through emulators. And Sea of Thieves sales probably didn`t cross 5M, most of the players came from GP.

You are probably using a very odd metric to call SoT more sucessful than DKC and other classic Rare games.

First off, we are talking about popularity and not quality. Sea of thieves is definitely a different beast today and some reviewers like gamespot went back and re-reviewed the game and gave it a good score. Second, DKC is only really well known with the older generation and not the newer generation. I bet a lot of young kids played sea of thieves, but never played or even heard of DKC. Nice try.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
Leynos said:

No. Neither Nintendo nor MS have had a colossal fuck up to give Sony the chance to take an opportunity to do a "$299" moment like at E3 1995 or "Here is how you play used games on PS4" moment. PS5 no doubt well well but unless MS and Nintendo fuck up as badly as Wii U or TV TV TV TV SPORTS! level anytime soon. No. Sony sold best when others around them fucked up and Sony seized a grand opportunity.

MS already did that with the Halo reveal.

Halo F2P tweet almost got 100k likes in a day, I think it is safe to say that halo is in for big numbers

DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

I'm not sure what the sales for sea of thieves is, but it had over 10 million users last year. Not to mention this is probably sea of thieves best year by far. With that being said, sea of theives is probably rare's most popular game that they ever created.

Having 10M people played the game hardly configures as Rare`s most successful IP. Let`s see if in 30 years the game will be remembered as DKC is still remembered, or as GoldenEye is still legendary, etc. I would say it is more likely it will be forgeted in a much shorter time. Also DKC, GoldenEye and other Rare classic games were the best when they launched, high critical acclaim, marvelous technical achievements, etc. That can`t be said to Sea of Thieves not even today and much less on its launch.

sales2099 said:

Not sure about Donkey Kong but Goldeneye sold about 8 million? God these ancient sales stats are hard to come by. Pretty sure there was a tweet that confirmed this. No way Donkey Kong Country had over 15 million players. 

SNES sold about 60M HW, at a time a lot of people used to go to friends house to play, you can bet it had a lot more people that played DKC than the sales numbers show, even if through emulators. And Sea of Thieves sales probably didn`t cross 5M, most of the players came from GP.

You are probably using a very odd metric to call SoT more sucessful than DKC and other classic Rare games.

https://twitter.com/benjisales/status/1285206320191352832?s=21

This guy is very reputable. I mean in terms of $$$ revenue and especially engagement (their marketplace has cat and monkey companions = easy money) SoT is their most successful game by most metrics. Maybe Donkey Kong straight up sold more copies. Maybe. But I don’t know many people that played the game for over 100 hours like SoT. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

First off, we are talking about popularity and not quality. Sea of thieves is definitely a different beast today and some reviewers like gamespot went back and re-reviewed the game and gave it a good score. Second, DKC is only really well known with the older generation and not the newer generation. I bet a lot of young kids played sea of thieves, but never played or even heard of DKC. Nice try.

He said most successful, you want to reduce that to currently most played.

You really want to take that bet? Even young children that don't know Rare would likely have seem or played Smash or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as well. It is necessary a lot of distortion to pretend Sea of Thieves is more succesful than any other game created by Rare.

sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

This guy is very reputable. I mean in terms of $$$ revenue and especially engagement (their marketplace has cat and monkey companions = easy money) SoT is their most successful game by most metrics. Maybe Donkey Kong straight up sold more copies. Maybe. But I don’t know many people that played the game for over 100 hours like SoT. 

Most people that bought Gran Turismo (any of them) likely played over 100h, what does that have to do with anything?

Yes I see that it had 15M people playing the game and he is claiming it is the most sucessful game from then and sustain that claim with? Oh yes, number of people that played the game, didn't put revenue or anything else. What else we have is that it sold about 1M on Steam and had sold about what 2M on Xbox?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

You really want to take that bet? Even young children that don't know Rare would likely have seem or played Smash or Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze as well. It is necessary a lot of distortion to pretend Sea of Thieves is more succesful than any other game created by Rare.

sales2099 said:

Most people that bought Gran Turismo (any of them) likely played over 100h, what does that have to do with anything?

Yes I see that it had 15M people playing the game and he is claiming it is the most sucessful game from then and sustain that claim with? Oh yes, number of people that played the game, didn't put revenue or anything else. What else we have is that it sold about 1M on Steam and had sold about what 2M on Xbox?

Wow I thought N64 Rare fans were tough you seem to be part SNES Rare fan. A “rare” breed indeed. Ok let’s wait one more year. If this game continues to grow it would be pretty hard to claim more people played Donkey Kong Country back in the day, regardless of any revenue data. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
DonFerrari said:

Wow I thought N64 Rare fans were tough you seem to be part SNES Rare fan. A “rare” breed indeed. Ok let’s wait one more year. If this game continues to grow it would be pretty hard to claim more people played Donkey Kong Country back in the day, regardless of any revenue data. 

Are you playing the game of MS that using of people that played through GP as basically the same as selling the game? Because then we can do other silly stuff and consider Playroom the most sold exclusive ever with over 110M sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

sales2099 said:

Success for a business doesn't mean good reviews/reception, just ask MCDonalds or Bank of america. It means money/popularity and you know it. I bet you most video game companies would like to have the sales and popularity of a mediocre COD over good reviews any day of the week. SOT is extremely well known now, just look at twitch.  I'm pretty sure most kids only heard or know about the old school donkey kong before Rare got their hands on it. Nice try.

Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

Success for a business doesn't mean good reviews/reception, just ask MCDonalds or Bank of america. It means money/popularity and you know it. I bet you most video game companies would like to have the sales and popularity of a mediocre COD over good reviews any day of the week. SOT is extremely well known now, just look at twitch.  I'm pretty sure most kids only heard or know about the old school donkey kong before Rare got their hands on it. Nice try.

So will you show the sales and profits numbers from SoT to prove the point?

DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

So will you show the sales and profits numbers from SoT to prove the point?

The game had over 10 million players early this year, while DKC maxed at about 8 users at best. So that shows SOT if more popular by default and obviously they are making a killing with Microtransactions, game pass, and retail sales. Microsoft doesn't show sales for any of there games and focus on players count because of xbox game pass.

Interesting opinions thus far. This upcoming gen is definitely a strange generation as it will most likely see 2 Nintendo consoles fall under it. PS5 could certainly sell 50% of console sales from Nov 20- Nov 21, but that largely depends on how aggressive MS are throughtout the launch year, as well as the titles that launch on the Switch during that period. It's certainly hard to categorise this gen regarding sales and market dominance when one console had a 3 and half year headstart.