By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS5 repeat the success of the PS4, and achieve 50 % marketshare?

Will PS5 achieve 50% marketshare?

Yes 30 26.55%

No 64 56.64%

Maybe 14 12.39%

I'll have what you're smoking. 5 4.42%

Total:113
Nautilus said:
JRPGfan said:

"jump started "their" generation".
Nintendo didnt jump start the 9th gen.
Only their own product line of consoles.

2 > 1.

XB and PS are launching soon (together, at the same time), and thats when the 9th gen starts.

"Even if you want to use the word in the context of sales, since you brought up the point of the Switch competing with the PS4 and X One, when the PS5 and Series X eventually launches, what will become of your argument?"

And what about the Switch competeing agains the PS4/XB1? is that just to be ignored then?

nautilus you use a odd meaning of the word generations.
The entire forum is pretty split on what it actually means, but Im not alone in thinking so (the majorty I think actually views it this way).
Also we ve had this same discussion so damn many times, this is my last reply on the matter.

" it will still be the only Nintendo system on the market to compete with the other companies. It's a simple math. And much as the PS5 and the Series X is a 9th gen, so is the Switch. There is absolutely no way to confuse this."

Soon as switch 2, launches in like 2022, your gonna say its the 10th gen.
Even though it probably spends more time competeing against the PS5/XSX, than it does the gen after that.

Nintendo isnt part of the "generations" anymore.
They launch their own products whenever they want, typically mid gen of the others.

Of course Nintendo started the 9th gen. It was the first one to launch a 9th gen console. If Sony launched the PS5 first, then they would have started the 9th gen.And yeah, if Nintendo launches the Switch 2 before the PS6 or Series X 2, it will be the start of the 10 gen. What's so confusing about it?

And no, you are in the minority. Just look at the poll and the answers. If the PS5 was "only" competing with the Series X in the 9th gen, I doubt it would have 70% of the votes on the No, considering most of the forum users are compromised of Nintendo and Sony fans. And the answers also show the same thing, that they don't think that will happen because Nintendo is just too strong right now.

If you want to compare 8th gen sales, then just compare them to the Wii U and the X One. Those are the 9th gen consoles. If you want to do it in a year by year basis, however, then it's fine to include the Switch, because you are comparing what each console did on their own on that day and moment.

And why is Nintendo not part of the "generation" discussion anymore? Is it fear that Nintendo will be so overwhelming better in the sales department that you want to remove them from the equation?

You know what? It's easier to make a thread and poll about this.

This forum has more nintendo fans, and xbox fans, proportional to the consoles market share, than the avg user base of each systems.
Nintendo especially is very heavly represented on VGChartz.

Even so, your thread, "Poll - Is Switch a 9th gen console?"  has the Switch at ~54% answearing "No" its not.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Nautilus said:
I don't understand the mentality of excluding Nintendo here... they are all console manufacturers, they all are direct competitors, just with different products....

Some people do some crazy mental gymnastics here.

By my estimation the prevailing mentality on Vgchartz, historically and currently, is to not consider Nintendo a direct competitor to MS and Sony. Again and again. Through success and failure. I do not ascribed to this line of thinking, but feel it's quite pervasive.

Nintendo themselves said they arn't.
They arn't competeing in makeing a homeconsole, and instead would chase a blue ocean.
Their doing their own thing, and are fine with it.

Also alot of people (here) that own a switch, also own another system (PS/XB).
This means the switch is a go-together-with type of deal, instead of a either-or, thingy.
Which was nintendos plan, they're doing a differnt thing, but it sells well.

Considering the polls are saying 85% is looking to buy a ps5, I think Sony will get close to ps2 numbers.

Switch will obviously do great, but you can't really put Switch in the same market segment as ps5/ Series X.

You forgot the Switch is at its full beast mode. PS5 wont have the luxury of having a console like Wii U or early Switch days to be in the same market share.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

JRPGfan said:
Nautilus said:

Why ignore the Switch?

I view it as last gen.
Last gen Nintendo released 2 consoles, the Wii U, and then afterwards the Switch.
Part of the issue is sony & xbox gens are so long, and nintendo ended the wii u early to launch a new one.
Switch is a in between sort of thingy.

I thought market share is about what is on the market right now. PS5 will be compared to the Switch regardless what generation it is or not. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Considering the polls are saying 85% is looking to buy a ps5, I think Sony will get close to ps2 numbers.

Switch will obviously do great, but you can't really put Switch in the same market segment as ps5/ Series X.

Polls arn't always accurate.
However I do believe PS5 might actually have slightly higher % of market share than the PS4 did.
Alot of people got burnt on the XB1, and may have regretted going that route this gen, and then swap next gen.

Not sure the split will be as drastic as 85% PS5 vs 15% XSX.

Jranation said:
JRPGfan said:

I view it as last gen.
Last gen Nintendo released 2 consoles, the Wii U, and then afterwards the Switch.
Part of the issue is sony & xbox gens are so long, and nintendo ended the wii u early to launch a new one.
Switch is a in between sort of thingy.

I thought market share is about what is on the market right now. PS5 will be compared to the Switch regardless what generation it is or not. 

Same holds true for Switch vs PS4/XB1, which its done for near 4years.
Also your useing the words "market share" now, when the discussion is generations.

And holy hell, do I feel baited..... I said earlier on in this thread, this discussion is stupid, and we've (vgchartz) has had it so many times already.
We've even had polls about this before too (I think?), which also had most seeing the Switch as 8th gen.

Even then, theres a very vocal minority here on VGCz that are adament about the Switch being a 9th gen system.
Even though it probably wont be able to play multiplat 3rd party AAA games (next gen), and spent most of its life cycle against the PS4/Xb1.

Wiki also has Switch listed as 8th gen.
The majority view it as 8th gen, vocal nintendo fans refuse to accept it.

Impossible to answer due to some factors:
- is the switch a system of choice for most people or just a "second console" for most players? I dont uave the answer but if you think switch is a contender then we need to wait for switch sales in around 2 years to add it to the math which will make ps4 probably around 35-40% of 8th gen marketshare
- will we add switch to 9th gen calculation? Probably not I suppose so we would have to wait for switch 2.
- will there be a significant difference in 3rd party games on ps5 and xbox? XSX is more powerfull so it may drive more more people to xbox platform if there is a significant difference.

My take:
Ps5 40%
XSX 20%
Switch 2: 40% (if we wait till switch 2 lifetime sales)

PS5 will need to rely on a big fuck up from nintendo to get to 50%

Well tricky question. Because rather than timly alignment,
I believe that the hardware, software and feature set of a system defines with whom it would have to be grouped together.

Some people say nintendo started 9th gen early with the switch. However, that means that if the same people consider PS5/XSX 9th gen aswell, you can have a set of systems launch early, and another set of systems launch (way) later, and still consider them the same gen.

Using that argument + what I said first means that the WiiU is technically the same gen as PS360, which would make its successor the same as Ps4/Xb1 (8th)
However that would raise the question, where the Wii belongs to.

Assuming the Switch even belongs into the HC generations, it would have to be a late inclusion in the 8th generation, therefore PS5/XSX being the only 9th gen systems and the answer to the topics question being: no, PS4 didnt manage 50% market share, and so wont PS5 once Nintendos "9th gen" system is out.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

Already been pointed out multiple time but Switch sales alone makes this feat impossible.