By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will PS5 repeat the success of the PS4, and achieve 50 % marketshare?

Will PS5 achieve 50% marketshare?

Yes 30 26.55%

No 64 56.64%

Maybe 14 12.39%

I'll have what you're smoking. 5 4.42%

Total:113
DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

That’s my overall point that in the end more people would have played SoT then DKC. And if your concern is that millions just played half an hour and dropped the game that’s fair, again wait one year and if still growing then we have a certainty on our hands..

I have no data unfortunately but SoT is no slouch with its in game store. How their monthly updates are by no means slowing down which is in itself an indicator of success breeding further investment into the game. 

Ya I hear your concern with Everwild. I myself don’t like day 1 builds because of the lack of content. However the long term can be rewarding and it’s just a matter of finding the right time to jump in, while rewarding those who stuck around since the beginning. 

Some GAAS games starts already good others take over a year to become good. I know that for the ones that start good there is a payoff for the ones that play from start. I play Brave Exvius since month 2, it is already over 4 year since release and I have most of the good chars and can be very powerful while managing to be on most of the top tier ranks even without spending a single dime in the game, because this game rewards a lot for consistent play and accumulating items over time. But sure it will always give a lot to new players and keep bringing stronger units to more or less leverage the field, incentive people to buy the new stuff and also allow for newer players to progress fast to reach older players.

Neo visions might make it a bit difficult for newer players. But I believe that's another thing about GAAS. That after they have a certain amount of players they start milking thouse players and veterans will tend to stick around just for the inevestment they have made. I also been a free player but even still all the time I put into brave exvius would make it hard for me to leave even if the games quality drops. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
DonFerrari said:

Some GAAS games starts already good others take over a year to become good. I know that for the ones that start good there is a payoff for the ones that play from start. I play Brave Exvius since month 2, it is already over 4 year since release and I have most of the good chars and can be very powerful while managing to be on most of the top tier ranks even without spending a single dime in the game, because this game rewards a lot for consistent play and accumulating items over time. But sure it will always give a lot to new players and keep bringing stronger units to more or less leverage the field, incentive people to buy the new stuff and also allow for newer players to progress fast to reach older players.

Neo visions might make it a bit difficult for newer players. But I believe that's another thing about GAAS. That after they have a certain amount of players they start milking thouse players and veterans will tend to stick around just for the inevestment they have made. I also been a free player but even still all the time I put into brave exvius would make it hard for me to leave even if the games quality drops. 

Yes from time to time I get pissed but still stick around. Neo Vision might make it problematic even for old players and may be the thing that will relevel the whole game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

That’s my overall point that in the end more people would have played SoT then DKC. And if your concern is that millions just played half an hour and dropped the game that’s fair, again wait one year and if still growing then we have a certainty on our hands..

I have no data unfortunately but SoT is no slouch with its in game store. How their monthly updates are by no means slowing down which is in itself an indicator of success breeding further investment into the game. 

Ya I hear your concern with Everwild. I myself don’t like day 1 builds because of the lack of content. However the long term can be rewarding and it’s just a matter of finding the right time to jump in, while rewarding those who stuck around since the beginning. 

GAAS games are a little bit trickier than your standard games. GAAS games depend heavily on user feedback and that is why it is release in early access all the time. It also needs to generate a lot of revenue to make sure it actually has interests before investing a lot of time and money into it.

Generally, the winner of the last generation doesn't win the following one. Odds are PS5 does worse. What is odd is that right now I'd say that Sony is going to suffer from disinterest and Microsoft still needs to prove a lot. Microsoft's line-up is generally better but its a question of if those titles will shift Series X. Sony's issue is all of their games are retreads of PS4 titles, which usually results in a system doing worse. No one has committed any major blunders but no one looks strong either. Both could sell poorly if the economy tanks from COVID.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life

Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

GAAS games are a little bit trickier than your standard games. GAAS games depend heavily on user feedback and that is why it is release in early access all the time. It also needs to generate a lot of revenue to make sure it actually has interests before investing a lot of time and money into it.

No doubt, we see a lot of games trying to copy others and be the next big one but most fail, it really is hard to be sucesful on GAAS models.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Um, PS4 won't have achieved 50% market share, unless we are considering Wii U to be the main Nintendo one. When PS4 stops at most 140 mil, Switch will have done at least 100 mil and Xbox at least 50 mil. That's 48% and that's giving them very favorable projections. Realistically I expect PS4 no more than 125 and Switch to match that, so more like them both getting 41.6% and Xbox One tanking.

And no, I don't think the PS5 will do nearly the numbers of the PS4. Blockbuster games seem to be taking longer to make on their own combined with Covid-19 production delays and projected mass unemployment because of the second wave of shutdowns means it's probably going to have a very rocky start. The only thing that could change that is if they forget initial profit and play the long game by releasing for PS5 for super cheap.

DonFerrari said:
Snoopy said:

No doubt, we see a lot of games trying to copy others and be the next big one but most fail, it really is hard to be sucesful on GAAS models.

True, which is why Microsoft might want to consider making XBL free and include these games in xbox game pass day 1.

Snoopy said:
DonFerrari said:

So will you show the sales and profits numbers from SoT to prove the point?

The game had over 10 million players early this year, while DKC maxed at about 8 users at best. So that shows SOT if more popular by default and obviously they are making a killing with Microtransactions, game pass, and retail sales. Microsoft doesn't show sales for any of there games and focus on players count because of xbox game pass.

You can't directly compare a modern game and a game from 1994.   That is 26 years ago.  The industry has grown a ton since then.  The SNES was the top console of the generation and only sold 49.1 million units.  Just by rough numbers, the 9.3 million that DKC sold in the mid 90s, is about the equivalent of selling 20 million today in terms of popularity.

Someone up above also mentioned GoldenEye.  Both DKC and GoldenEye were the 3rd best selling games on their respective consoles.

The other issue is directly comparing GAAS games to regular games is pretty problematic.  It is a different business model entirely, and there is nothing from 1994 even remotely similar.  With regular games, you just need to know the sales (although DKC also has virtual console sales now which we have no numbers on).  With a GAAS, the total number of players and the active player base can tell a very different story.

"In July 2020, Rare announced that Sea of Thieves had passed 15 million players. Over 3.3 million players played in June 2020. 1 million players had purchased the game on Steam since its launch on June 3rd, 2020."
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/20/sea-of-thieves-passes-15-million-players-since-launch/

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)