By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Why Did I Wait So Long To Play This?!"

I'm playing Octopath Traveler right now and it has been quite the surprise. Turn-based RPGs aren't my jam but this one always has had me on the verge of my seat (well, my bed) with its exciting boss battles. It's harder than it should be because I'm ill-equipped and I usually stick with the same strategy with all enemies, but that just makes me more pumped up.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network

Too many to name.

I will list some.

Ys (First played in 2010 but the series came out in 1986)

Armored Core (2011. Series goes back to PS1 and my first was AC2 on PS2)

Yakuza (Y0 in 2017)

A lot of stuff I have played the last decade is LTTP series and then I play as many in that series as I can. My tastes broadened a lot so I am just playing a lot of old series that are new to me.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Nier Automata. It came out when? 2017? And I literally played it for the first time a month ago thanks to Game Pass. My gawd, I can't believe I passed on for years without playing this gem!

TallSilhouette said:

What games were you (years) late to the party on but ended up loving? Did you put it off due to time or money or means or just underestimating/overlooking it or what?

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. At the time it came out on PS4, I was busy with work and had a lot of other stuff going on, so gaming was way down on the list. I started getting back in in 2016, and by then other games were out that demanded more immediate attention. I picked up the Switch version in January of this year, partly because I mostly game on Switch, and partly because I want to support games like this on Switch. I've enjoyed it a lot even though it's not as technically proficient as the PS4 or PC versions. In this generation, I'd rank Witcher 3 as my fourth favorite game behind BotW, Dragon Quest XI S, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Waited a while to try Banjo and Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, because I didn't like that it wasn't a traditional platformer. Wound up enjoying it much more than I did Banjo Tooie, and possibly more than the original.

Around the Network

Dark Souls and Xenoblade Chronicles. Bought both on launch day. Before playing Dark Souls, I thought it was just a Demon's Souls sequel. It completely overhauled and improved on everything from Demon's Souls! Xenoblade got delayed due to Skyrim and College. When I finally got around to it at the end of2014 I was blown away!

DPsx7 said:
PAOerfulone said:
The entire Zelda series.
Wind Waker HD was my first Zelda game during my senior year of high school. After that, I went on a binge and played through every game in the series I could.
The order went like this:
Wind Waker -> Twilight Princess -> Skyward Sword -> Ocarina of Time -> Majora’s Mask -> A Link to the Past -> A Link Between World -> Link’s Awakening -> The Oracle Games -> Minish Cap. All within my senior year.

Yeesh, that was an odd place to start. I don't mean WW was bad, the sailing turned it into such a friggin grind. (Although I think HD made some changes.) Worse than part 2 on NES. Speaking of which you're still missing a couple. The NES pair, Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, 4 Swords...

I did beat Zelda 1 & 2 eventually, but not until much, much later. I still haven't played the DS pair or 4 Swords yet.

The Last of Us I played only in late 2018.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag in 2019, the only game in the series that I could get into and like.

PS2 greatest hits only starting from 2011.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Every JRPG before 2000. Because I was not allowed to have a console.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The Last Of Us. I got into it after upgrading to the PS4. I had only played the Uncharted series from ND before, so I didn't know what to expect from a new IP. My brother kept singing its praises to me. So when I had gone through some other games I finally got the remastered edition, which was nice in itself but wow, did the game blow me away.