By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Why Did I Wait So Long To Play This?!"

curl-6 said:

Specs Ops: The Line.

Flew under my radar at the time of release, I was more focused on other, bigger games. Finally got around to it years later. Damn good game, one of the best examples I can think of of video game violence serving a narrative purpose, plus refreshing in its unpredictability in that it didn't stick to formula and often outright subverted it.

I've heard so much about this game. Assumed it was one of those generics military games. I'm gonna buy it today!

...and probably play it next year. 😥

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

I am! It's actually like the best job I've ever had. Hopefully I stay there until I retire. That place changed my life! 

I remember you showing a pic of yourself in body armor working security, is what you do now at the plant the same type of work or something different. btw the reason I know your work details is ages ago I checked a network down site and it had your profile on it. it's a small world.

I'm everywhere!

I got turned off by console gaming after Dreamcast was discontinued and Gamecube's flagship games disappointed and it dragged my usage of the GameBoy Advance along with it. My image of the GBA at the time was already on the low side because I didn't like Mario Kart and the other games were basically all ports (though of amazing games like Mario 3, Yoshi's Island and A Link to the Past), so I never played much else. Until the 3DS got its ambassador program because of the quick pricecut.

With it came Metroid Fusion and Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones, among others. I started playing those two because I wanted to try a Fire Emblem game and it had been almost two decades since I had briefly played Super Metroid on my aunt's SNES and the original Metroid since whenever, and was immediately hooked in a big way. I completed both games in record time (for my standards anyway) and both found a place on my all-time favorites list here on VGC afterwards. After completing it I bought Super Metroid off WiiU's virtual console to continue finally pick that one up again as well.

So I couldn't believe how I missed Metroid Fusion and Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones on GBA at the time.

My fondness for Fire Emblem has since cooled again though, and I never completed Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS or even bought the other two 3DS releases or Three Houses on Switch and it even fell off my list, but Metroid remains. A new Metroid will definitely be a quick buy.

Add Zelda Minish Cap and Zelda Link's Awakening.

With Minish Cap, I thought "A Zelda game not even made by Nintendo? Hmmph."
I only played it because I was bored and it was free with early 3DS owners. Turned out to be one of the best games I would ever play on the system.

Same goes for Link's Awakening. I was steering away from the GB when that game released. I finally played it on the 3DS thanks to the eShop and it was amazing! I can only imagine what I would have thought back in the day.

d21lewis said:
mjk45 said:

I remember you showing a pic of yourself in body armor working security, is what you do now at the plant the same type of work or something different. btw the reason I know your work details is ages ago I checked a network down site and it had your profile on it. it's a small world.

I'm everywhere!

So is covid19 at least with that we may get a vaccine,  You should change your name to d21lewis19 the unvaccinable . btw you didn't answer the what you do question.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
curl-6 said:

Specs Ops: The Line.

Flew under my radar at the time of release, I was more focused on other, bigger games. Finally got around to it years later. Damn good game, one of the best examples I can think of of video game violence serving a narrative purpose, plus refreshing in its unpredictability in that it didn't stick to formula and often outright subverted it.

I've heard so much about this game. Assumed it was one of those generics military games. I'm gonna buy it today!

...and probably play it next year. 😥

Yeah I think a lot of people might've skipped it cos of that; it even starts out like a very generic military shooter. 

As it goes though it becomes deeper, darker, and more subversive, until it becomes something akin to something like Apocalypse Now, an almost surrealist journey where normal morals and logic are blurred and warped.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 August 2020

mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:

I'm everywhere!

So is covid19 at least with that we may get a vaccine,  You should change your name to d21lewis19 the unvaccinable . btw you didn't answer the what you do question.

I swear, I wrote a whole second paragraph about what I do, how the job changed my life, opportunities I passed up because I'm stress free, and more. Must have accidentally cut it.

But yeah, I'm still armed security. I make a great living, and I'm active in the training of new employees. Hopefully I retire from that place. My life is better than young me ever could have imagined.

d21lewis said:
mjk45 said:

I swear, I wrote a whole second paragraph about what I do, how the job changed my life, opportunities I passed up because I'm stress free, and more. Must have accidentally cut it.

But yeah, I'm still armed security. I make a great living, and I'm active in the training of new employees. Hopefully I retire from that place. My life is better than young me ever could have imagined.

I Am really pleased to hear that ,it truly warms my heart to know that your in a good place take care my friend.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Half Life Alyx.. and i im still waiting

I'm just getting around to Link's Awakening on Switch now, but it was a conscious decision to wait this long; in the second half of last year there were so many games I wanted to play coming out that I simply didn't have time for them all, so I shelved this one, along with the expansions for Witcher 3, to play at a future date.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 12 August 2020