By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Why Did I Wait So Long To Play This?!"

GrahfsLament said:
COKTOE said:

Horizon is a good pick for this thread for me as well.

Yours is very similar to my path towards playing it, and the experience I had when I did. Bought it around launch, played it 2 1/2 years later in June/July 2019, and it's my favourite game this gen. My expectations appeared to be a bit higher than yours were.

I ended up liking it so much that I platinumed it on the first playthrough on accident. Wasn't my goal necessarily, but the game made me want to explore everything, so I did and the platinum trophy followed :D

As a side note and in my humble opinion, this and God of War (PS4) are good examples of how best to implement trophies (and, thus, is a small part of what elevates H:ZD in my estimation). I generally don't care about trophies, but I certainly enjoy them more when they're designed around encouraging the player to do all the optional stuff instead of those designed around grinding or farming or ridiculous Olympic gaming feats. If you do everything in H:ZD, you'll likely never need to grind/farm/etc. in order to platinum it. You still can grind/farm and some non-trophy related stuff can require farming, but you can also avoid those tasks and still get the full experience. When games are balanced like this, they automatically get a +1 from me.

I like trophy lists like Horizon: Zero Dawn and God Of War too. Most PS first party trophy lists are similar to this. Tied to the game in a fairly organic way, avoiding, as you said, grinding/farming, and Olympic gaming feats. Gran Turismo is an example of the opposite, although as a driving game, it's quite different. Notoriously brutal, both as tests of skill and patience.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

the witcher 3

The Metro Trilogy. Didn’t play until 2019. As a trilogy it’s one of the most atmospheric games I’ve played

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

COKTOE said:
GrahfsLament said:

I like trophy lists like Horizon: Zero Dawn and God Of War too. Most PS first party trophy lists are similar to this. Tied to the game in a fairly organic way, avoiding, as you said, grinding/farming, and Olympic gaming feats. Gran Turismo is an example of the opposite, although as a driving game, it's quite different. Notoriously brutal, both as tests of skill and patience.

Sweet Amaterasu, is it ever...especially regarding patience. B-Spec in GT5 was useful to keep things moving along when I was finishing up a degree, but I can't imagine going after the trophies for B-Spec (or the Endurance races, for that matter). It's kind of funny, to me at least, that when I was much younger I'd throw on a CD (like Garbage Version 2.0!) and that was enough to keep me entertained while I just endlessly navigated the tracks in GT2's and GT3's endurance races. Now there's, arguably, greater incentive, greater variety in music at my disposal, and I can't be bothered... Makes me glad that games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics came along before my time for gaming became so short.

On topic, I'd also add Resident Evil: Revelations 2. I really liked the story (for the most part) and atmosphere (which I think presaged the tonal shift from RE6 to RE7). I also loved the chimeric gameplay which was a complete surprise to me. It has one of my favorite lines in the entire series as well. I had avoided it because I was real burnt out on the Resident Evil series, dislike episodic publication of games, and was skeptical about any sort of 'gaiden' entries. The story of how I finally came to play the game is a bit longer and has to do with my analysis of the franchise in general, but Capcom's PS4 release being a complete edition definitely helped abate some of my reticence to play it.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall
d21lewis said:
Taking the rest of this month off from work. I should definitely finish Horizon and Red Dead Redemption 2 before I go back to work.

Or I'm gonna get so bored around the house that I go back to work.

Are you still working at the powerstation ? I can see you sitting next to homer.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
d21lewis said:
Taking the rest of this month off from work. I should definitely finish Horizon and Red Dead Redemption 2 before I go back to work.

Or I'm gonna get so bored around the house that I go back to work.

Are you still working at the powerstation ? I can see you sitting next to homer.

I am! It's actually like the best job I've ever had. Hopefully I stay there until I retire. That place changed my life! 

axumblade said:
The Last of Us (simply put, my PS3 didn't want to play it) and Bioshock (my bf at the time beat the game while I was watching so I held off on playing). I was also a wimp up until recently when it came go games with jump scares.

You know, I ran into something similar. When I was playing this on my PS3, it took 20 minutes or more the first time it loaded. And then the second time I played it, it took about 20 minutes or more to load my save along with early cut-scenes having some real bad pop-in/clipping, etc. As I progressed, the cut-scenes evened out (so only one of the most compelling cut-scenes in the beginning was ruined...hurray!), but the initial load time got slightly longer and longer (timed it to verify). So, despite this extremely frustrating circumstance, I persisted in playing through the game.

Fast forward, I finally beat it and was talking to a friend who said that they experienced none of these issues. I then talked to another friend who said the same thing. So, I tried one of these friend's disc, and this ridiculous initial load time persisted. Of course, I started to wonder if it was just my system. However, all diagnostics on the HDD showed all sectors were good and absolutely no other game was giving me any issues.

Turns out, it was self inflicted: as I understand it, the initial interminable loading was due to the game putting its required files into the HDD's cache. Every time I played a different game (and I did cycle games a lot, especially because I had 3 or so at the time which were part of weekly online gaming sessions with friends), I was causing that cache to be replaced. Given that I was only able to play TLoU once a week for a couple of hours, I was basically forcing myself to sit through the initial set up each and every time.

Live and learn ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

Specs Ops: The Line.

Flew under my radar at the time of release, I was more focused on other, bigger games. Finally got around to it years later. Damn good game, one of the best examples I can think of of video game violence serving a narrative purpose, plus refreshing in its unpredictability in that it didn't stick to formula and often outright subverted it.

d21lewis said:
mjk45 said:

I am! It's actually like the best job I've ever had. Hopefully I stay there until I retire. That place changed my life! 

I remember you showing a pic of yourself in body armor working security, is what you do now at the plant the same type of work or something different. btw the reason I know your work details is ages ago I checked a network down site and it had your profile on it. it's a small world.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 05 August 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Mass effect franchise

God of war, I first played this because they switched to Norse Gods, but that was the reason why, I loved god of war ps4 but I won't bother playing the previous games.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website