By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now is the time to start collecting Wii games!

Will Wii games be worth more or less in the next 5 years?

More 16 69.57%

Less 3 13.04%

The prices will stay the same 4 17.39%

Other 0 0%

Total:23

Some of you may remember my old thread about my Gamecube collection being worth $1300 (it's now worth $1400!). https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/242666/my-gamecube-collection-is-now-worth-1325/

Well, GameCube games used to be stupidly cheap, back in 2011 or so. But as the Cube got older those games went from being "last gen" to being "Retro". You can see here that GameCube game prices were at an all time low in 2011. https://www.pricecharting.com/console/gamecube But that same chart shows prices steadily climbing until we've reached the 2020 insane prices. I believe that the same thing is about to happen to Wii games. Right now Wii games are at or near the bottom of their price curve, as you can see here. https://www.pricecharting.com/console/wii Most consumers view Wii U and Switch as the same generation for Nintendo, which causes them to also view Wii as "Last Gen". But I believe that in the next 5 years Wii games will start to be seen as retro, and prices for them will Skyrocket, just like they did with the GameCube.

TL/DR: GameCube games were once stupidly cheap, and are now mostly unaffordable. Wii Games are stupidly cheap right now, but are about to become mostly unaffordable in the next 5 years.

Around the Network

There will probably be a few Wii games that will shoot up in price, but it won't be like the Gamecube.  Gamecube games shot up in price because of supply and demand.  Every Gamecube game can be played on the Wii.  The Wii was a lot more popular system than the Gamecube.  It's the Wii's popularity that caused Gamecube games to skyrocket in price.  That is about 100m customers who are looking for old Gamecube games that are not being made anymore.

I feel like Wii games will become specially expensive because of the motion controls. It's something that makes them quite unique and memorable

My Wii collection is 45 games, almost all of which I bought at full price, which means I spent around $4000 on it.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

There will probably be a few Wii games that will shoot up in price, but it won't be like the Gamecube.  Gamecube games shot up in price because of supply and demand.  Every Gamecube game can be played on the Wii.  The Wii was a lot more popular system than the Gamecube.  It's the Wii's popularity that caused Gamecube games to skyrocket in price.  That is about 100m customers who are looking for old Gamecube games that are not being made anymore.

I think it  really depends on the game. Super Mario Galaxy has over 10 million units floating around in the wild vs Sunshine's 5 million. So I don't expect Galaxy to go up in price by much more. Zack and Wiki though? That game took 26 months just to sell 120,000 copies. I'm shocked it's not worth more now.

No More Heroes is another series that I expect to go up in price. In fact it already has in the past few years. I remember when you could get NMH2 for $40. Once the fourth NMH game comes out this should shoot way up in price.

And then there's Little King's Story. Another hidden gem that sold poorly.

Anyway I agree that Wii game prices probably won't climb as high as GC prices did. But IMO this is definitely the bottom of the Wii price curve.

DPsx7 said:
Cripes is GC doing the same thing? I have a nice size collection and with the exception of Twin Snakes and Ikaruga didn't think anything would be abnormally valuable. I think it's crazy what retro is doing and if I was ready to sell any of my games I'd rake in a ton.

Not sure Wii had the kind of stuff that would become rare. Outside of the first party games there was a LOT of third party fluff that rushed in because of how well the hardware sold. Chances are that's all you'll find now. Everyone keeps the first party games. Even then you're right. Now's the time to buy any leftovers for Wii/PS2/PS3 because they're cheap. Can't say they'll go up in value, one can hope though. Do like I do and buy because you want to play. If they go up then cool. Gaming is tricky in terms of investment. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I think a lot of PS2 games will just always be cheap. https://www.pricecharting.com/console/playstation-2 The graph on this page shows price barely moving. The bottom of the PS2 price curve was around 2013. Prices have steadily increased since then, but it's been a slow crawl compared to pretty much any other system.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
DPsx7 said:
Cripes is GC doing the same thing? I have a nice size collection and with the exception of Twin Snakes and Ikaruga didn't think anything would be abnormally valuable. I think it's crazy what retro is doing and if I was ready to sell any of my games I'd rake in a ton.

Not sure Wii had the kind of stuff that would become rare. Outside of the first party games there was a LOT of third party fluff that rushed in because of how well the hardware sold. Chances are that's all you'll find now. Everyone keeps the first party games. Even then you're right. Now's the time to buy any leftovers for Wii/PS2/PS3 because they're cheap. Can't say they'll go up in value, one can hope though. Do like I do and buy because you want to play. If they go up then cool. Gaming is tricky in terms of investment. They're only worth what someone is willing to pay.

I think a lot of PS2 games will just always be cheap. https://www.pricecharting.com/console/playstation-2 The graph on this page shows price barely moving. The bottom of the PS2 price curve was around 2013. Prices have steadily increased since then, but it's been a slow crawl compared to pretty much any other system.

Cool website.  I had never seen it before.

The Wii sold much closer to the PS2 than the Gamecube.  Do you think its games will also follow a price pattern more similar to the PS2?  There are just going to be a lot more Wii games floating around out there than Gamecube games.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

A nice side effect could be that one could find a lot of hidden gems in the Wii library. Although a lot of shovelware was released, there are quite a lot of decent games that some might have overlooked. One example that comes to mind is Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. A great game and definitely worth a look.

I have pretty much all I want. CLose to 50 or so. No shovelware. There are a couple of RPGs I want but the prices are already stupid so prob going to skip it.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

GoOnKid said:

A nice side effect could be that one could find a lot of hidden gems in the Wii library. Although a lot of shovelware was released, there are quite a lot of decent games that some might have overlooked. One example that comes to mind is Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. A great game and definitely worth a look.

Yeah there are a fair few of those on Wii; Sin & Punishment, Fatal Frame 2 & 4, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, No More Heroes 1 & 2...

I have several games worth a lot: Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc... but never worth THAT much. I also have some Ninja turtles from the 1980s still in their original packages, but they are worth barely as much as their original price + inflation.

But, as a note, when it comes to games, the moment digital versions of them come out they lose a lot of value (I think Suikoden II went down by like 50%). Maybe games with less attention that won't get ported/remade would be what to look out for.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.