By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now is the time to start collecting Wii games!

 

Will Wii games be worth more or less in the next 5 years?

More 16 69.57%
 
Less 3 13.04%
 
The prices will stay the same 4 17.39%
 
Other 0 0%
 
Total:23
curl-6 said:
GoOnKid said:

A nice side effect could be that one could find a lot of hidden gems in the Wii library. Although a lot of shovelware was released, there are quite a lot of decent games that some might have overlooked. One example that comes to mind is Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. A great game and definitely worth a look.

Yeah there are a fair few of those on Wii; Sin & Punishment, Fatal Frame 2 & 4, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, No More Heroes 1 & 2...

Those are all really great games, yeah! Fatal Frame 4 only released in Japan, no? I am currently keeping an eye open for The Last Story, but that one is quite pricey.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Around the Network

There are a lot more Wii games out in the wild than Gamecube games so I'm sure many of the popular ones won't be hard to come by in the future. Heck Mario kart Wii still sells first hand.



I've got tons of Wii and GameCube games. All that I want. I like to think they're worth a lot but, like my comic book collection, they're only worth what somebody's willing to pay.

These days, I just collect the things I like (addicted to action figures and statues) and I don't worry about value. I just try to make myself happy. Even considering opening some 90s figures and putting them on display.



Twitter: @d21lewis

Checked at the site, and my collection of 28 Games is worth 365€, biggest title in terms of worth being Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn at over 75€ already



Obviously it going to vary on the game. Some of the big hitters like Super Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword or DKCR may start to see a boost as the Wii fades into history.
It’s the less common titles that become collectors items that will see the big boost, particularly some of the ones released much later in the Wii’s life-cycle. I’d expect Just Dance 2020 will have a hefty price tag in 5 to 10 years. Shakedown Hawaii and Retro City Rampage, the last 2 games ever released on the Wii and both limited to 3000 copies, will also likely get pretty expensive.



Around the Network

Just bought Pandora's Tower a few days ago, so No More Heroes 2 and Fragile Dreams are the last two that are above MSRP that I plan to buy soon. There are also a handful of other games that can be bought for around $10 that I need to buy, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with my Wii collection. So many great games on the console.



None of my Wii games are extremely valuable. The only rare ones I have are Xenoblade, Pandara's Tower, and The Last Story....if that even counts as rare.



curl-6 said:
GoOnKid said:

A nice side effect could be that one could find a lot of hidden gems in the Wii library. Although a lot of shovelware was released, there are quite a lot of decent games that some might have overlooked. One example that comes to mind is Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. A great game and definitely worth a look.

Yeah there are a fair few of those on Wii; Sin & Punishment, Fatal Frame 2 & 4, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, No More Heroes 1 & 2...

I'll have to stay on the lookout for Fatal Frame 2 and Shattered Memories. I have the other ones you mentioned already. I can't find reviews for Fatal Frame 4 though. What gives? Oh wait. Japan only lol.

Jumpin said:

I have several games worth a lot: Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc... but never worth THAT much. I also have some Ninja turtles from the 1980s still in their original packages, but they are worth barely as much as their original price + inflation.

But, as a note, when it comes to games, the moment digital versions of them come out they lose a lot of value (I think Suikoden II went down by like 50%). Maybe games with less attention that won't get ported/remade would be what to look out for.

Suikoden II has steadily climbed in price despite there being a digital version. Look at the CIB price graph here. https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/suikoden-ii You'll have to manually click on CIB in the graph and unclick loose to see how CIB prices have changed.



DPsx7 said:
GoOnKid said:

Those are all really great games, yeah! Fatal Frame 4 only released in Japan, no? I am currently keeping an eye open for The Last Story, but that one is quite pricey.

I have FF on the PS2 and wish the sequels made it over here.

It was nice to find some cool stuff among all the shovelware. The Rabbids games, Boom Blox, a few lightgun shooters, Elebits. I should probably take one quick look to see if there's anything else before it all becomes scarce.

Yes, like the Resident Evil games, I still need to gather them.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

DPsx7 said:
GoOnKid said:

Those are all really great games, yeah! Fatal Frame 4 only released in Japan, no? I am currently keeping an eye open for The Last Story, but that one is quite pricey.

I have FF on the PS2 and wish the sequels made it over here.

It was nice to find some cool stuff among all the shovelware. The Rabbids games, Boom Blox, a few lightgun shooters, Elebits. I should probably take one quick look to see if there's anything else before it all becomes scarce.

What kind of games are you into? There are a fair few hidden gems among Wii's library.

Cerebralbore101 said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah there are a fair few of those on Wii; Sin & Punishment, Fatal Frame 2 & 4, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, No More Heroes 1 & 2...

I'll have to stay on the lookout for Fatal Frame 2 and Shattered Memories. I have the other ones you mentioned already. I can't find reviews for Fatal Frame 4 though. What gives? Oh wait. Japan only lol.

It's Japan only but there's an English patch available on the internet, so if you have a modded Wii you can play it translated, and I would urge anyone with a fondness for horror games to do so, it is well worth the effort.

GoOnKid said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah there are a fair few of those on Wii; Sin & Punishment, Fatal Frame 2 & 4, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, No More Heroes 1 & 2...

Those are all really great games, yeah! Fatal Frame 4 only released in Japan, no? I am currently keeping an eye open for The Last Story, but that one is quite pricey.

See my reply above; yes it's Japan only but there's an English language homebrew patch.

I'd highly recommend The Last Story, its an excellent blend of traditional and more modern RPG design with lovable characters and a great battle system.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 30 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.