By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now is the time to start collecting Wii games!

Will Wii games be worth more or less in the next 5 years?

More 16 69.57%

Less 3 13.04%

The prices will stay the same 4 17.39%

Other 0 0%

Total:23
DPsx7 said:
Jumpin said:

I have several games worth a lot: Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc... but never worth THAT much. I also have some Ninja turtles from the 1980s still in their original packages, but they are worth barely as much as their original price + inflation.

But, as a note, when it comes to games, the moment digital versions of them come out they lose a lot of value (I think Suikoden II went down by like 50%). Maybe games with less attention that won't get ported/remade would be what to look out for.

You think so? Digital is ok since it gives people a chance to play a game without paying a premium (they likely wouldn't in the first place). The hard copy will still be in demand by collectors. Emulation is pretty widespread yet it hasn't damaged the going price of many NES/SNES titles.

Yeah, I thought that would have been the case too, but apparently the same thing happened with Earthbound when it came out on Wii U VC.

My Suikoden II was once worth about 600-1200 USD used, now down to 180 USD, so its dropped even more. Sealed versions are still worth quite a lot though. Suikoden 1 has gone WAY up, before a used copy wouldn't sell for more than 50 USD - and could be purchased for a lot cheaper than that, now it's up to the 80-200 USD value. So, I don't know, maybe there are other things that impact value.

Personally speaking, the SNES was my most played Nintendo console all the way up to the Wii, and the Wii replaced enough of the available games with digital versions that I put down my SNES for the last time early in the Wii generation. PSX would have been my most played Sony platform until I began picking up all the games on the Vita - and now I can't go back to it because my memory cards were all no longer working last time I checked.

Honestly, there are some Wii games that I wouldn't even want to sell - especially the IR third-person shooters which is an experience I don't think will be had again any time soon unless some smart developer actually uses the Joycons to their potential. Also, the Wii had the best line-up of rail shooters - they were similar to the light-gun style shooters of old, except better. Its one of the things I'm pissed off hasn't made its way onto the Switch... anyway, for a Wii collection, I'd say get ahold of those. Unfortunately, some of those are download only.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 03 August 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

It's probably a good time to buy Wii games - if you want a Wii collection.

If you are trying to make a financial investment.... you'll probably do better elsewhere. Even though it's fun to make a couple of hundred bucks here and there...

Speaking of rail shooters, I feel no good Wii collection is complete without a copy of Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Really an underappreciated gem and a great example of how great pointer shooting can be.

curl-6 said:

Speaking of rail shooters, I feel no good Wii collection is complete without a copy of Sin & Punishment: Star Successor. Really an underappreciated gem and a great example of how great pointer shooting can be.

Sin and Punishment

House of the Dead: Overkill

House of the Dead 2 and 3

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles 1 and 2

Zombie Panic in Wonderland

Dead Space

And there was a lot more than that; mostly smaller games.

This guy goes over a few

And I just wanted to post this song for fun:

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

So does anyone have a good source where they by used Wii games or controllers? Wii remotes seem like a pain to find these days.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
My Wii collection is 45 games, almost all of which I bought at full price, which means I spent around $4000 on it.

This hobby of ours is really expensive. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Metallox said:
curl-6 said:
My Wii collection is 45 games, almost all of which I bought at full price, which means I spent around $4000 on it.

This hobby of ours is really expensive. 

Indeed it is. It's worth it though. ;) I can't think of anything else I'd rather spend $4000 on.

theRepublic said:
So does anyone have a good source where they by used Wii games or controllers? Wii remotes seem like a pain to find these days.

I used to get mine from EB Games, though it's been a while as I finished collecting for Wii years ago. Maybe try ebay sellers with good ratings?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 August 2020

theRepublic said:

Try The Gaming Zone or Fallout Games both are located in Tempe Arizona. The Phoenix Metro area is a huge vacuum for retro games thanks to all the tech colleges that are around there. Both shops will ship you games if you talk to the owners and ask nicely.

I was sometimes curious about the Wii but the only game exclusive to the platform that really piqued my interest was No More Heroes (1) and that came out for the PS3 so I never bothered buying a Wii. The only other exception I remember is that Castlevania WiiWare title that was a remake of a GameBoy game. I'm a huge Castlevania fan so I was interested in that one but since there isn't any way to get it now...

Spike0503 said:
I was sometimes curious about the Wii but the only game exclusive to the platform that really piqued my interest was No More Heroes (1) and that came out for the PS3 so I never bothered buying a Wii. The only other exception I remember is that Castlevania WiiWare title that was a remake of a GameBoy game. I'm a huge Castlevania fan so I was interested in that one but since there isn't any way to get it now...

Did you enjoy No More Heroes? Because No More Heroes 2 is even better.