Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now is the time to start collecting Wii games!

Will Wii games be worth more or less in the next 5 years?

More 16 69.57%

Less 3 13.04%

The prices will stay the same 4 17.39%

Other 0 0.00%

Total:23
curl-6 said:

Another really good one that never saw release in North America is Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, which is a re-imagining of Fatal Frame 2 similar to how the current gen RE2 remake reimagines that game. It got an English language release in Europe and Australia/New Zealand, but Nintendo of America stupidly didn't localize it.

Oh man, that game is terrifying! I got this a couple of years ago and I agree, it is awesome.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Around the Network

there are a few games, ones of old series that didn't sell well, thouse will go up like crazy.

before XC got the n3ds version, the price for that was sky high, and remained quite high untill future connected was announced.
Fire emblem radient dawn, sold less then its NGC predecessor, goes for higher prices then PoR.
but the limited amount of actually good games that didn't sell like crazy means... well... these are outliers. there are vastly more copies of galaxy roaming around vs sunshine, even considering sunshine sold half: nearly all people who bought sunshine are now pretty hardcore nintendo gamers(ergo they won't sell it). meanwhile galaxy was bought by most everyone.

GoOnKid said:
curl-6 said:

Another really good one that never saw release in North America is Project Zero 2: Wii Edition, which is a re-imagining of Fatal Frame 2 similar to how the current gen RE2 remake reimagines that game. It got an English language release in Europe and Australia/New Zealand, but Nintendo of America stupidly didn't localize it.

Oh man, that game is terrifying! I got this a couple of years ago and I agree, it is awesome.

Amen, it's very hard for a game to scare me but the Fatal Frame/Project Zero games are among the few that can manage it.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Any one have any thoughts on the Wii light gun style games out there? I never got around to them back in the day, but I think I would like to pick a few up. With Gamerankings gone for good, and the Metacritic filtering options being absolutely terrible, I'm not sure what to grab. I was thinking both Resident Evil games, Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Also, The House of the Dead: Overkill. Anything else good? How about Dead Space: Extraction? Is it good even if I never played any of the Dead Space games?

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

It's been a while, I don't remember anything being bad. I mean you know what to expect from a lightgun game.

There's one more I have - Gunblade/LA Machineguns. Played in the arcade, didn't get to this version.

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
Any one have any thoughts on the Wii light gun style games out there? I never got around to them back in the day, but I think I would like to pick a few up. With Gamerankings gone for good, and the Metacritic filtering options being absolutely terrible, I'm not sure what to grab. I was thinking both Resident Evil games, Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles. Also, The House of the Dead: Overkill. Anything else good? How about Dead Space: Extraction? Is it good even if I never played any of the Dead Space games?

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles is classic lightgun game; tough as nails but if you like a challenge it's worth playing.

Darkside Chronicles is a bit easier, the shaky cam can be annoying, but it's not bad and offers an original RE story.

Dead Space Extraction has even more of a story focus and is slower paced as a result, but if you can accept that it's probably the best lightgun shooter on Wii thanks to the series' trademark satisfying dismemberment combat and strong atmosphere. And no, you don't need to have played the rest of the games to follow it as it is a prequel.

House of the Dead Overkill is modeled on grindhouse films; if you can look passed an intentionally juvenile sense of humor, it's good fun.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
theRepublic said:

Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles is classic lightgun game; tough as nails but if you like a challenge it's worth playing.

Darkside Chronicles is a bit easier, the shaky cam can be annoying, but it's not bad and offers an original RE story.

Dead Space Extraction has even more of a story focus and is slower paced as a result, but if you can accept that it's probably the best lightgun shooter on Wii thanks to the series' trademark satisfying dismemberment combat and strong atmosphere. And no, you don't need to have played the rest of the games to follow it as it is a prequel.

House of the Dead Overkill is modeled on grindhouse films; if you can look passed an intentionally juvenile sense of humor, it's good fun.

Any other good ones out there, or is that about it?

Now Playing

theRepublic said:
curl-6 said:

Those are the only ones I can vouch for from personal experience.

curl-6 said:
theRepublic said:

Those are the only ones I can vouch for from personal experience.

Thanks.  I pulled up the genre on GameFAQs.  Most of the others sound like shovelware.  The only other two that remotely sounded like they could be good were Ghost Squad and Link's Crossbow Training.

Now Playing

DPsx7 said:
Jumpin said:

I have several games worth a lot: Suikoden II, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, etc... but never worth THAT much. I also have some Ninja turtles from the 1980s still in their original packages, but they are worth barely as much as their original price + inflation.

But, as a note, when it comes to games, the moment digital versions of them come out they lose a lot of value (I think Suikoden II went down by like 50%). Maybe games with less attention that won't get ported/remade would be what to look out for.

You think so? Digital is ok since it gives people a chance to play a game without paying a premium (they likely wouldn't in the first place). The hard copy will still be in demand by collectors. Emulation is pretty widespread yet it hasn't damaged the going price of many NES/SNES titles.

Yeah, I thought that would have been the case too, but apparently the same thing happened with Earthbound when it came out on Wii U VC.

My Suikoden II was once worth about 600-1200 USD used, now down to 180 USD, so its dropped even more. Sealed versions are still worth quite a lot though. Suikoden 1 has gone WAY up, before a used copy wouldn't sell for more than 50 USD - and could be purchased for a lot cheaper than that, now it's up to the 80-200 USD value. So, I don't know, maybe there are other things that impact value.

Personally speaking, the SNES was my most played Nintendo console all the way up to the Wii, and the Wii replaced enough of the available games with digital versions that I put down my SNES for the last time early in the Wii generation. PSX would have been my most played Sony platform until I began picking up all the games on the Vita - and now I can't go back to it because my memory cards were all no longer working last time I checked.

Honestly, there are some Wii games that I wouldn't even want to sell - especially the IR third-person shooters which is an experience I don't think will be had again any time soon unless some smart developer actually uses the Joycons to their potential. Also, the Wii had the best line-up of rail shooters - they were similar to the light-gun style shooters of old, except better. Its one of the things I'm pissed off hasn't made its way onto the Switch... anyway, for a Wii collection, I'd say get ahold of those. Unfortunately, some of those are download only.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 03 August 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.