By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What's the last movie you saw in a theater?

Tagged games:

I have always considered myself an avid theater goer.  I cherish the experience of seeing a blockbuster movie on a massively large screen.  There are times, admittedly, when an unruly audience member can diminish the experience.  But even so, there are also times when hearing another person's reaction to an onscreen event actually amplifies the moment and makes it that much more memorable.  Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic has, out of necessity for safety and social distancing, brought the theater industry mostly to a halt.  Theaters in my area have been closed for months with the exception of drive ins.  A discussion with my wife yesterday about movies led to the ironic realization of what turned out to be our last movie viewed on the big screen this year:  King Kong (1933).  It was a Fathom Events presentation on March 15.  

So, of all the films to be my last theater experience in the past 4 months, it was a film released almost 9 decades ago!  Bearing that in mind, I thought it would be interesting to hear what was last film other movies buffs saw before the shutdowns.

What was the last movie you saw in a movie theater?  Mention it even if COVID-19 had nothing to do with it being the last time you went to a theater.

Around the Network

The Gentlemen.

I didn't like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I'm pretty sure it was Dolittle, which I enjoyed more than the critics did evidently. I almost saw Call of the Wild, but decided against it even though the theaters were still open and we hadn't went into lockdown yet. I pretty much had imposed a lockdown both at my store and for myself as of March 10th and wasn't about to take any chances.

So far the only movie I'm bummed about not getting to see is Tenet. I'll probably just have to wait for some sort of digital release. The only other movie that will hurt to miss out on in the theater is the upcoming Dune remake. I'm so hyped for that film and I really hope the situation doesn't derail this ambitious project before it even has a chance. I'm still hoping to see this franchise get off the ground in a big way as all of the books were great.

At any rate, while I love going to the movies and seeing films on the big screen, I doubt I'll be able to go until a vaccine is released. It's already hard enough to watch a film these days and really get into it and suspend all my disbelief, etc, etc, but being worried whether being in the theater was going to make me sick in two weeks would just wreck me. Mind you, I'm speaking from a psychological feeling here. I'm not terrified or anything, but it would just defeat the purpose of having a good time. I'm not sure what kind of event or film would make me venture into crowded places (or confined spaces) but it would have to be pretty spectacular and I'm just not sure at this point that such a thing would exist for me.

dont judge.... but abit of a pixar fan so...

axumblade said:
Went to the drive in and watched The Shining and Jurassic Park double feature. Since the regular theaters are all closed, I'm loving the drive in

We actually have open theaters here in denmark ^-^'

How smart was it to go see this movie mid pandemic? probably not very smart.... though we did it in a area with very few cases of covid.
This was back when spread wasn't on the raise either, were we had like 10-20 cases a day or so (in the entire country).

By the way, prior to seeing the "King Kong" Fathom Events, I'm pretty sure my last "new" release was "The Call of the Wild".

Around the Network

Spiderman: Far From Home.

I loved it, but my wife didn't like it because no Ironman in it...

Pretty sure The Lighthouse was the last movie I saw in theaters. Great movie, but I still don't understand "the beans".

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn, did not enjoy it. I have a group of friends that I use to go to the movies with at least once a month. Sadly I think COVID-19 put an end to that at least till there a vaccine.

I saw The Lighthouse on February 8th. I thought it was a phenomenal film.
Some of the cinemas here are partially open again, so I should take advantage of that and support them. Unfortunately the program is rather weak. The movies that appeal to me usually gets released in the winter months, and due to the pandemic, this years summer program is particularly thin.
I will absolutely see TENET though, when it get released here in a month. I am not really a fan of Christopher Nolan's movies (except a few), but I have a lot of respect for the guy and his ambitions, so I always give him an extra chance.

King Kong is a really good classic btw.

I think the last movie I saw in theaters was just mercy... might have been jojo rabbit... I enjoyed both!