By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia Hiring For (Likely) Switch 2, DLSS 2.0 looks like a feature

padib said:
curl-6 said:

The whole point of the Switch was to unify Nintendo's development onto a single platform; supporting multiple generations at once runs directly counter to the Switch's direction.

In your mind, yes, but not according to Nintendo's proclaimed direction. The Switch, its united library, and the paradigm of smart devices, will ultimately be Nintendo's direction as they claimed. One has already materialised, the other is yet to materialize. The OP is proof that this direction is finally taking form.

Nintendo have never once said they are pursuing the smartphone paradigm. That is all just assumption on your part.

The OP does not in any way point to this either. It points to a "next generation" device.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 August 2020

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
People still assuming this is anyway related to Switch. Nintendo could jump to Samsung/RDNA for all we know. Nvidia may well be taking all from softbank to combat this.

Unlikely when Nintendo prob wants to keep BC and Nvidia mentioned they think they will work with Nintendo for 20 years. Sounds about right as they kinda with AMD for about that long. Samsung is likely more expensive.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Random_Matt said:
People still assuming this is anyway related to Switch. Nintendo could jump to Samsung/RDNA for all we know. Nvidia may well be taking all from softbank to combat this.

How many companies are really making game consoles that would require a next-generation Tegra chip? It's not a big club exactly. 

RDNA sucks anyway, Nvidia's architecture is better for Nintendo. 

Soundwave said:
Random_Matt said:

How many companies are really making game consoles that would require a next-generation Tegra chip? It's not a big club exactly. 

RDNA sucks anyway, Nvidia's architecture is better for Nintendo. 

RDNA is a solid architecture.
But the RDNA chips we have on PC aren't actually true built-from-the-ground-up RDNA chips, they are based on Graphics Core Next with enhancements from "RDNA2". - Basically hybrid designs for faster time-to-market, AMD couldn't have just pushed out Polaris and Vega for another year or two, they needed an interim product.

Tegra is certainly a better fit for Nintendo right now.
AMD is making some interesting low-power, high-performance inroads though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

padib said:
curl-6 said:

Nintendo have never once said they are pursuing the smartphone paradigm. That is all just assumption on your part.

The OP does not in any way point to this either. It points to a "next generation" device.

I will post them as I find them, since I already spent all morning looking for the post I wanted but still haven't found it. On my way I found this gem that I remember for 2014:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/events/140130/02.html

"Let me first talk about redefining the concept of a video game platform.
This medium-term goal is not expected to come to full fruition within the time frame of this current calendar year. However, I feel that this is going to play an extremely crucial role in deciding whether dedicated video game platforms can adjust to rapid environmental changes in today’s market and can develop as a sound business.

The traditional definition of a video game platform was closely related to some kind of hardware and it would be no exaggeration to say that platforms were equivalent in meaning to physical devices.

That is to say, we only had device-based relationships with consumers in the past. As we were connected with a single consumer differently on different devices, we had some natural problems."

Nintendo's half-solution to this problem is the NNID, but the real solution to this problem Nintendo is aware of is something like Microsoft's Smart Delivery in combination with the NNID. Regardless of whether I find that quote I was looking for or not, the solution to the problem I am quoting (Smart Delivery + Cloud Saves) will become industry standard within the next gen.

So, while without the quote I can't confirm that Nintendo understands the needed solution (to make software seamlessly transition from one hardware jump to another or to reduce the hardware gaps so as to fully blur the lines and create a unified platform that crosses hardware changes), they have proven to be aware of the problem by mentioning it, and by trying to bring their own solutions to the table.

You can make software seamlessly transition between hardware without needing to release smartphone-like iterations of hardware every couple of years though; I mean, I mean they could do the same thing with a full blown generational successor.

Around the Network
padib said:
curl-6 said:

You can make software seamlessly transition between hardware without needing to release smartphone-like iterations of hardware every couple of years though; I mean, I mean they could do the same thing with a full blown generational successor.

They can, but it's much more difficult. The higher the gap, the more difficult it is to support older hardware.

I find that the post I linked to earlier explains it well.

The argument that Nintendo needs to release new hardware soon to continue getting ports is ultimately a flawed one because firstly third party ports aren't what is selling the system, and secondly the sooner they release a new system, the less capable it will be of getting next gen ports. Better to wait until 2023/2024 when it can be to PS5/XSX what Switch 1 was to PS4/Xbone.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

The argument that Nintendo needs to release new hardware soon to continue getting ports is ultimately a flawed one because firstly third party ports aren't what is selling the system, and secondly the sooner they release a new system, the less capable it will be of getting next gen ports. Better to wait until 2023/2024 when it can be to PS5/XSX what Switch 1 was to PS4/Xbone.

You misunderstood the point of my post. I am not saying they need multiplats or ports. I'm showing how a dev, with professional knowledge about game making, explains a problem when a platform becomes too outdated. I posted it to support the idea that, the bigger the gap, the harder it is to support a seamless delivery. It was in answer to your last post.

No flaw in it sorry.

I see no reason why a fully next gen Switch couldn't support cloud saves, smart delivery, and backwards compatibility with the current Switch. 

The gap really doesn't matter.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 August 2020

padib said:
curl-6 said:

I see no reason why a fully next gen Switch couldn't support cloud saves, smart delivery, and backwards compatibility with the current Switch. 

The gap really doesn't matter.

Your word against a proper dev.

It's actually not as they've said nothing that contradicts me. That "proper dev" also has no knowledge of Nintendo's inner working and plans, and their game is ultimately of basically zero importance to Switch and Nintendo

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 August 2020

padib said:
curl-6 said:

It's actually not as they've said nothing that contradicts me. That "proper dev" also has no knowledge of Nintendo's inner working and plans, and their game is ultimately of basically zero importance to Switch and Nintendo

Again you missed the point entirely. The dev highlights the importance the hardware gap has on the ability to have games be supported across the two devices.

It's not something I really need to explain to you or support, so I'm being very patient about it. It's patently obvious to be honest with you.

The higher the hardware gap, the harder it is to support the hardware with the same software. So, my post just supports that platitude.

If you want to contradict it until the sun implodes, have fun, but I'm out. 

Methods like smart delivery + cloud saves, (and backwards compatibility) work just as well across a normal generational gap, as Xbox One and Xbox Series X demonstrate. The user's software, save data, NNID, etc carries over seamlessly to the next gen device with no need at all for smartphone-like soft successors.

By 2023, the Switch 2 should be able to be better than what the Switch 1 was to the PS4/XB1.

The Tegra X1 came out in spring 2015 for an affordable $199.99 Shield box, that was only about 16 months after the PS4 launched.

16 months after the PS5 launches takes you into spring 2022 only actually.

So 2023 would be an extra year tacked on to that, the Tegra X1 would be 8 years old by then, which is actually a year older than the PS4 is when it will be replaced (2013-2020).

Then you have to factor in DLSS 2.0 into that equation too, DLSS 2.0 basically makes a chip conservatively 2-3x more powerful in effective terms because it reduces the native resolution by such a huge degree. This is something the first Switch/Tegra X1 did not have the benefit of.