By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia Hiring For (Likely) Switch 2, DLSS 2.0 looks like a feature

padib said:
curl-6 said:

When it's not in their interests, no, not generally. They've stuck to many working formulae since the 80s, and this is one that still works perfectly and doesn't need to change.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. All their past presentations, all their current R&D developments, everything points to a soft successor, in the style of Apple.

What you hope happens isn't Nintendo's direction. 

Nothing they've said or done indicates smartphone style multiple iterative waves. If that was the plan, we would almost certainly know it by now. The fact that we're in Year 4 and the only sign of a replacement is a job listing for a "next generation" device points to them sticking to normal generational paradigm.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 31 July 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
padib said:

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. All their past presentations, all their current R&D developments, everything points to a soft successor, in the style of Apple.

What you hope happens isn't Nintendo's direction. 

Nothing they've said or done indicates smartphone style multiple iterative waves. If that was the plan, we would almost certainly know it by now. The fact that we're in Year 4 and the only sign of a replacement is a job listing for a "next generation" device points to them sticking to normal generational paradigm.

It's not true. There is an old direction from Iwata's time that clearly mention Nintendo wanting to follow Apple in their delivery style of hardware and software. I don't want to dig up the old quote because I'm sure I won't find it, but it's in 2014 or 2015.

The directors have changed since then, but it doesn't change an initiative already started by Iwata before he left, much like how pokemon GO, Mario Kart Tour and Super Mario Run were birthed from directions from around the same time.

I guess the many rumors about a Switch Pro really indicates that Nintendo had something like that in development. However, seeing how good the original Switch and Switch Light stand on their own and that they don't have to fear much from PS5/Xbox Series X (because other market), they decided to ditch it an working instead further on a next generation Switch, i.e. Switch 2 (I still think they will not name it "2" and just add the sales numbers to the current Switch models).

padib said:
curl-6 said:

It's not true. There is an old direction from Iwata's time that clearly mention Nintendo wanting to follow Apple in their delivery style of hardware and software. I don't want to dig up the old quote because I'm sure I won't find it, but it's in 2014 or 2015.

The directors have changed since then, but it doesn't change an initiative already started by Iwata before he left, much like how pokemon GO, Mario Kart Tour and Super Mario Run were birthed from directions from around the same time.

Iwata talked about a family of devices. That doesn't necessarily mean ongoing waves of iterative soft successors like smartphones though, but more in line with what we already saw with 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/New 3DS. We already have the Switch Lite in keeping with this.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Iwata talked about a family of devices. That doesn't necessarily mean ongoing waves of iterative soft successors like smartphones though, but more in line with what we already saw with 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/New 3DS. We already have the Switch Lite in keeping with this.

Not true. There were already families of devices from a long time ago GBA SP, game boy color, DS lite, etc.

No he was talking about something else, more like the New 3DS in your example, which is not just a change in form factor, but a change in hardware capabilities. The Apple line was cited because it offers jumps in hardware without causing incompatibilities with the current model. That's the main difference.

Around the Network

Go on people, in the meantime, I'm still waiting for them to release that darn NX !!

Joking aside, the DSSL solution means the next Switch won't even have to use much resources from it's pecs to achieve something closer to parity with the next generation. I'm excited to see the fruits of such work !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

padib said:
curl-6 said:

Not true. There were already families of devices from a long time ago GBA SP, game boy color, DS lite, etc.

No he was talking about something else, more like the New 3DS in your example, which is not just a change in form factor, but a change in hardware capabilities. The Apple line was cited because it offers jumps in hardware without causing incompatibilities with the current model. That's the main difference.

New 3DS wasn't a soft successor though, it was a hardware revision, similar to DSi. That's most likely what we will see with Switch; multiple revisions forming a single family but with a definitive next-gen successor in a few years time rather than iterative smartphone-type soft successors every couple of years.

curl-6 said:
padib said:

New 3DS wasn't a soft successor though, it was a hardware revision, similar to DSi. That's most likely what we will see with Switch; multiple revisions forming a single family but with a definitive next-gen successor in a few years time rather than iterative smartphone-type soft successors every couple of years.

DSi and New 3DS are even too old to be the fruit of that direction. What future outcome we're looking at here is neither, it's closer to a moment now like the switch is the result of the direction of merging the handheld and home R&D plants, and the fruit of it was the Switch. It takes time for these directions to come to fruition. So a revision of the Switch with a big enough jump to bring new capabilities, but while the ecosystem is made to allow old games to still function would look more like the iPhone style of delivery.

padib said:
curl-6 said:

DSi and New 3DS are even too old to be the fruit of that direction. What future outcome we're looking at here is neither, it's closer to a moment now like the switch is the result of the direction of merging the handheld and home R&D plants, and the fruit of it was the Switch. It takes time for these directions to come to fruition. So a revision of the Switch with a big enough jump to bring new capabilities, but while the ecosystem is made to allow old games to still function would look more like the iPhone style of delivery.

The whole point of the Switch was to unify Nintendo's development onto a single platform; supporting multiple generations at once runs directly counter to the Switch's direction.

curl-6 said:
padib said:

The whole point of the Switch was to unify Nintendo's development onto a single platform; supporting multiple generations at once runs directly counter to the Switch's direction.

In your mind, yes, but not according to Nintendo's proclaimed direction. The Switch, its united library, and the paradigm of smart devices, will ultimately be Nintendo's direction as they claimed. One has already materialised, the other is yet to materialize. The OP is proof that this direction is finally taking form.