By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nvidia Hiring For (Likely) Switch 2, DLSS 2.0 looks like a feature

Trumpstyle said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm thinking it will release by Q1 2023 at the latest. R&D phase for a new console usually lasts like 3-4 years at the most, and Nvidia/Nintendo may have already been working on this for months or even a year before this job listing. 

A Q1 2023 Switch 2 at $300-350 should have something like 2.5-3 tflops GPU docked, less than that for handheld, with a much better CPU, more and faster memory, and faster storage. Enough power to play PS5/XSX games with slightly lower graphical settings at maybe 720p docked/540p handheld, DLSSed up to 1440p docked/1080p handheld.

It doesn't really matter what TF Switch 2 has when it is docked, it will be memory bandwidth starved anyway. Nintendo will likely use Lpddr5 which will bring about 50GB/s bandwidth on 64-bit bus or around 100GB/s bandwidth on 128-bit bus. If Nintendo planning to rely on DLSS 2 I would guess they will go for 64-bit bus.

I would think they would go with better than LPDDR5, if they want next-gen ports. Even on 128 bit bus, that would give them less than 1/3rd the speed of Xbox Series X's slower CPU/OS focused 336 GB/s RAM, less than 1/4th the speed of PS5's 448 GB/s RAM, and less than 1/5th the speed of Series X's faster GPU focused 560 GB/s RAM. Maybe they could go with some kind of hybrid LPPDR5/GDDR6 setup or hybrid LPDDR5/eSRAM setup or something.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Trumpstyle said:

It doesn't really matter what TF Switch 2 has when it is docked, it will be memory bandwidth starved anyway. Nintendo will likely use Lpddr5 which will bring about 50GB/s bandwidth on 64-bit bus or around 100GB/s bandwidth on 128-bit bus. If Nintendo planning to rely on DLSS 2 I would guess they will go for 64-bit bus.

I would think they would go with better than LPDDR5, if they want next-gen ports. Even on 128 bit bus, that would give them less than 1/3rd the speed of Xbox Series X's slower CPU/OS focused 336 GB/s RAM, less than 1/4th the speed of PS5's 448 GB/s RAM, and less than 1/5th the speed of Series X's faster GPU focused 560 GB/s RAM. Maybe they could go with some kind of hybrid LPPDR5/GDDR6 setup or hybrid LPDDR5/eSRAM setup or something.

Considering it'll be targeting internal 720-1080p most of the time I think won't be so bad or?

LPDDR5x is likely to be widely available by 2022/2023 anyway, that could get Nintendo up to 133-150GB/sec.

Nvidia GPU designs don't really need the same bandwidth as AMD designs, AMD is very inefficient.

Case in point, the current Switch is able to run PS4 games like The Witcher 3 and DOOM on only 25GB/sec bandwidth versus PS4 which has 176GB/sec bandwidth.

If Switch 2 has say 133GB/sec bandwidth to the PS5's 448GB/sec that is actually a much smaller gap than what exists between the current Switch and PS4, and that's not even factoring in the difference DLSS 2.0/3.0 likely makes.

Soundwave said:
 that is actually a much smaller gap than what exists between the current Switch and PS4, and that's not even factoring in the difference DLSS 2.0/3.0 likely makes.

A little to early to start the rumour train imho.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
numberwang said:
NextGen_Gamer said:

That is my thought as well. A 2023 release for Switch 2. And I do truly hope Nintendo continues with a Switch 2, because I love my Switch and think the whole concept of a handheld/console combo is perfect for Nintendo.

A 2023 SoC from NVIDIA would probably be based on the TSMC's 3-nm EUV-GAAFET process, and that will offer some amazing possibilities for them. You could easily have a chip with close to power of the Xbox One X and be passively cooled in a handheld (!!!).

Curb your enthusiasm. Price will be 299 because that worked well for the Switch. With that we get lucky if it can run nextgen PS5/XBSO games at 540P updlss-ed to 1080p (best case scenario).

If competitors come in high as it appears they must this gen, then Nintendo have more space to move and still come in lower/better value, which is great for tech improvements, lets hope  

DonFerrari said:

The train always pulls out early 

Rab said:
DonFerrari said:

The train always pulls out early 

Better hurry to not lose it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

For anyone like me that was like...wha???? when it comes to this DLSS stuff.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/nvidia-dlss-your-questions-answered/

Expected. More interested in Ray Tracing than DLSS though personally, hardware feature parity is a must to ensure continued ports.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--